Final Music

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:51 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:The music from Until You Come to Me was pretty good, minus the steel drums which just remind me of The Little Mermaid. I want more subdued music like that for Final, and less POUNDING EPIC VOCAL ARRRRRGGHH music.

This so much.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:11 pm

I could easily go for subdued music, but often times in Eva, the score is as much a part of it as the dialogue and the animation. I'd love to see another grand Sagisu score in Shin.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Eva Q kind of set Eva Shin to be a tad more subdued. Thinking back, every NTE film ended on even more subdued music than the last. After all of the 6th Angel craziness of Eva Jo, we mad a quite piano tune lead us to the cut of the moon. Eva Ha ended with the slightly more up-beat “Give Me Wings” music, and Eva Q ended with the double-whammy “Kindred Spirits” and “Sakura Nagashi.” (I usually don’t count end-credit scores, but, unlike “Beautiful World”, “Sakura Nagashi” was cued before the cut to black.)

That being said, the subdued nature of EoE that I feel like we might be wanting for Eva Shin came from a sense of hopelessness, or a succumbing to inevitability. If Eva Shin isn’t going to explore those same feelings EoE did, then maybe something as subdued as Bach’s Air playing during a battle scene isn’t quite the best choice for this particular film.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:24 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That being said, the subdued nature of EoE that I feel like we might be wanting for Eva Shin came from a sense of hopelessness, or a succumbing to inevitability. If Eva Shin isn’t going to explore those same feelings EoE did, then maybe something as subdued as Bach’s Air playing during a battle scene isn’t quite the best choice for this particular film.

I think that it won't be like EoE: as you noted EoE's subdued music was to convey the hopelessness and grim inevitability of the events to come, of how what Misato and Asuka did was too little too late to have any influence beyond merely slightly delaying the bad guys plans, of how there was too many players wanting to 3I to happen for their own plans to come to fruition (SEELE, Gendo, then Rei as it was revealed at the last minute when she betrayed Gendo) for it to be prevented.

But Shin Eva is advertised in a completely inverse way: this time the good guys are numerous, equipped and the last battle is presented as an epic that will determine the fate of the world, not as a last almost spiteful spasm of resistance from the good guys in front of the upcoming and inevitable apocalypse.
So I think that we'll get our fair share of bombastic music from Sagisu, although that doesn't prevent more subdued song to be present, in the moments of calm before or between the big fights, when the characters talk to each other as their were denied that possibility in Q for example.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:14 pm

Let's not forget that EoE gave us some powerful scores during the attack on Nerv, and when Shinji began rejecting instrumentality, though. My point is that every form of Eva that we've seen has its loud, over-the-top scores, and its quieter, more restrained ones.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”