Characterization and hypothetical situations.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

The Cruel
Banned

Characterization and hypothetical situations.

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:38 pm

This topic isn't meant to offend people. It's meant to be analysed and explained. And I also ship Asushin.

Scenaro 1: Asuka's Mexican standoff

If I would stalk and study every single step and behavor of hers, and would focus more on her issues, especially with Shinji, then I would force her to make the hardest choice of her life in a Mexican Standoff:

Two guns, one bullet in each one, three people, two armed, one unarmed, two 'll live and one 'll die.

Me with my gun on her head at point-blank range and she with her gun aimed on Shinji who is unable to protect himself.

The chance for survival depends from three possibilities:

1. Asuka kills Shinji and I let her live.

2. I kill Asuka and let Shinji live.

3. I don't pull the trigger and let myself get killed by Asuka.

So wich of these would happen? What do you think are the motives?
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:56 pm

OPTION 4:

Asuka kills herself, you and Shinji both live.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:13 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:OPTION 4:

Asuka kills herself, you and Shinji both live.

If she has no self-worth at this point then suicide is possible. Or what do you mean?

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“

Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:23 pm

The answer to this hypothetical question differs depending on the time in which it is asked. I also don't see Asuka sacrificing herself for someone else, so that limits it to options 1, 3 and 4.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:23 am

Not just the time in the story, but also how on earth did this standoff arise? I can't see anything to discuss until we know all that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:44 am

I think the concept of Asuka being in Mexico and falling in love with a Mexican is a pretty interesting idea. Think about it. Combining Asuka's fiery demeanor with a spicy Latino/a would cause nuts and ovaries to simultaneously explode all over the planet.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Renamed for more generality and moved to a more useful place.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

fizz450_03
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fizz450_03 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:41 pm

She might very well just kill the third person (me) coz all she wants for Christmas is Shinji! :devil:

btt : the outcomes will depend on the circumstance of why we're all standing together with guns to our heads... i hope the cruel will elaborate on the situation.
only mankind would be foolish enough to harness the engine of it's own destruction

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:46 pm

View Original Postfizz450_03 wrote:btt : the outcomes will depend on the circumstance of why we're all standing together with guns to our heads... i hope the cruel will elaborate on the situation.

Maybe I'm not clear enough but I explain some more . It's about me forcing Asuka to show her true feelings for Shinji while she or him are about to die. The third option is there so no one thinks bad about me.

You can (not) hope

Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:18 pm

I'd try a different scenario. When you're talking about a situation like that (ie, torture), how can you be sure what you're getting is the real situation? I know it's a hypothetical situation, but the context does set the stage: you're essentially forcing a tortuous decision on Asuka and Shinji. In that case, it's not about revealing true feelings, or their true selves: that's about how an individual would react to a situation of torture (which I don't think is a 'what you are in the dark' situation: torture simply changes the rules completely, to the point that it cannot be considered a valid way to find either truth or fact).

If you're talking about a 'we're going to die, so let's put this out in the open' situation, you want something where they have time to assess and engage themselves, their feelings, all of that: split second stuff is meaningless in the long run. Personally, based on the characters (especially Asuka's impulsiveness and 'act now' nature), I think whichever option she picks is based on what she feels at the moment: it would be a 'panic' response and not indicative of her true nature and/or feelings.

It does raise the interesting question of placing the characters in stressful situations and seeing how they handle them vis a vis each other. Do they reject one another? Turn to each other for support? What do they do and why?

....and Asuka would meet a Mexican helicopter-pilot/yoga instructor named Esteban with a voice like buttery leather and haircut a news anchor would weep to have. It would be tumultuous, but memorable.

.....he would call her his 'Diabla Chiquita.'
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Return to “Fanfiction”