Why does Kaworu count as an Angel and not Rei?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Why does Kaworu count as an Angel and not Rei?

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:57 pm

They're essentially the same thing, a Seed of Life trapped in a human shell, with all the power that comes with it. So why is Rei not considered an Angel?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:01 pm

Consider their souls: Kaworu -- Adam -- Angels; Rei -- Lilith -- Lilim.

Of course, this all gets messed up when the Lilim get described as the eighteenth angel...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Because it's an arbitrary numbering system.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:15 pm

I’ve always considered Rei an Angel, playing with my heart. (Yeah!)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: Why does Kaworu count as an Angel and not Rei?

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:23 pm

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:They're essentially the same thing, a Seed of Life trapped in a human shell, with all the power that comes with it. So why is Rei not considered an Angel?

Maybe it simply never came up. Assuming SEELE know that Rei has Lilith's soul, maybe they have a "19th Angel" designation for her, if they don't know then there's no reason Rei has any Angel designation.
Besides unlike Kaworu she was extremely low-key with her powers, she only visibly used them once, to negate Kaworu's AT Field with her own. (here assuming that she even had access to those powers before EVA-00's destruction, since it's speculated that in its core was part of her soul and with it part of her powers)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:12 pm

What if Kaworu and Rei are both 'Tabris'?
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Well Rei's body was likely constructed in a very different way than kaworu's since it was intended to be a host for yui's souls at first, meaning it would be closer to a human body, that could also be why Rei really couldnt do much with said body aside from getting back at gendo and merging with the lilith body once more.

Kaworu was always intended to live as an angel and i imagine seele made kaworu a body in which he could use his angel powers more easily, even then his AT field wasn't nearly as strong as some of the angels that had come before as that sort of implies that AT field projection gets weaker the closer to human the angels get since humans are social creatures as opposed to the angels who are literally the loneliest beings in the universe.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:43 pm

But Rei is an angel.. in my heart

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:12 am

@Rosenakahara: Genetically speaking, Rei and Kaworu's bodies are 100% human, it's their AT Field that added the weirdness that's their red eyes and blue and silver hair color respectively. And it was intended to be human, or else they wouldn't had been able to live and work in NERV without triggering all the alarms from the biological scanners.

Also, both their AT Fields aren't weak at all, in fact it's the contrary: when Kaworu reach Terminal Dogma and protect himself from EVA-01, the scanners indicates that he generated the strongest AT Field ever recorded, and that the AT Field emitted from the mysterious second source (Rei) that negated Kaworu's was of equal strength.

So yes, Rei deserved her own Angel designation as much as Kaworu, but didn't got one because for some reason ADAM and Kaworu/Tabris are considered by SEELE as two different entities while Rei is just considered as the 2nd Angel's soul (Lilith) in a human vessel.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:17 am

Well, aren't Seele unaware of Rei? At least, as anything more than a pilot. It seems Seele are in possession of the scrolls, and are the ones naming/identifying the angels, and assigning a number to them. Rei wouldn't be classified as an angel by Nerv, to keep her role a secret; nor by Seele as they're unaware.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:44 am

That’s true, Seele does seem to be the only ones keeping tabs on the Angels’ names. But at the same time, Seele wasn’t aware of Iruel (the 11th Angel in Episode 14) and yet it still has an angelic name.

(Just who named the 11th Angel anyway?)

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:55 am

Seele did hear about the Ireul incident but wasn't able to confirm it - and that's pretty plainly seen in Episode 14 with Gendo openly inviting them to examine the data recorders on the Magi. They heard about the incident later and were none too happy that Gendo had lied to them and let an Angel invade HQ. By Episode 23, they've named Ireul and placed it in the lineup as the 11th.

Otherwise, I think Sorrow is right on the money here : Rei didn't get an Angel designation simply because Seele never confirmed that she was one. Mankind/the Lilin don't get an official "18th Angel" designation either.
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:55 am

Rectification: NERV tried to hide Iruel from SEELE, and the fact he's shown during the recap of episode 14 means that NERV failed to hide it.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:56 am

No, he's not seen in the recap of Episode 14. Seele heard about the Angel invading but couldn't confirm it, and Keel was none too happy about it.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:28 am

I was typing my message when you posted yours, I was actually answering to Freaky, and you proved me wrong anyway. -o-;

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:03 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Otherwise, I think Sorrow is right on the money here : Rei didn't get an Angel designation simply because Seele never confirmed that she was one. Mankind/the Lilin don't get an official "18th Angel" designation either.

Rei might not have earned an Angel designation in Seele's eyes even if they knew about her, because it seems the Angels were a limited (and possibly rather well-defined) set:

?? (OFF):
At last, we have defeated up through the 16th Angel.

?? (OFF):
That leaves only one Angel described in Seele's Dead Sea Scrolls.

Rei was Gendo's creation and very much not part of "the plan". Whether the SDSS were a legit prophecy or not, Seele treated it like one and probably wouldn't have gone out of their way to come up with a name for her after already assigning the existing ones.

Given the loose terminology in the series between what counts as an Angel and what counts as a human (or both), I've half a mind to think that the only proper definition of an Angel is whatever specific entities the SDSS names as "the Angels", like it's more of a gang name or a name of a set of roles in the scenario than a species designation (which incidentally would also explain why the Evas don't count despite being copies of one or two of them). In which case, Rei (qua Rei, as opposed to Lilith) would not count by virtue of not being described.

The above is actually a thought that only just came to me as I was writing this post too, and now I'm wondering how I never saw it before. :lol: Now it doesn't feel so weird anymore to think of Lilith nor the Lilin as an "Angel".
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:16 pm

But if Rei had been rumbled as Lilith's soul vessel and Kaworu's direct counterpart, would Seele have looked in the SDSS and matched one of the Angel descriptions to her? We never get to see whatever was in those scrolls anyway, and it might as well have been nigh-indescribable gibberish. How the heck does Seele seem so confident of understanding a bunch of scrolls written by...whom???? The FAR? (I forget this part and need to check with the CI)

There might be a far more mundane explanation for Seele knowing the number of Angels - it's possible that the Angels were present in the Antarctica Geofront in egg/foetal form and were excavated and counted (but not transported) before Adam let loose 2I and blew up, scattering them to the weirdest places possible where they could mature.

Tracey
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tracey » Sun May 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Kaworu is considered an Angel BECAUSE he's seen as one. Rei is never seen as a Angel, and no one ever identifies her as one, even though Genod, Fuyukwhatshisname, and blondeladywiththemole know that she is (sorry I forgot those two people's names). Gendo, could identify her as a Angel but he doesn't choose to because Angels are threats and to Gendo Rei is a part of his plan to get Yui back. It would be counterintuitive to mark what you need down as badbad. And as far as I know, SEELE doesn't know about Rei. Her records have been expunged and erased and the only thing that present is her name, date of birth, and age. So SEELE can't identify her as a Angel either. And while Rei is technically a Angel, she's also technically not. Half and half. Because she is a mix of Yui Ikari and Lilith's DNA but has the soul of Lilith. So there's that too.

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:But if Rei had been rumbled as Lilith's soul vessel and Kaworu's direct counterpart, would Seele have looked in the SDSS and matched one of the Angel descriptions to her? We never get to see whatever was in those scrolls anyway, and it might as well have been nigh-indescribable gibberish. How the heck does Seele seem so confident of understanding a bunch of scrolls written by...whom???? The FAR?

Remember that Fuyutshima(whateverhisnamewasineverrememberedhisname) told Gendo that certain events were not foretold in the Dead Sea Scrolls and the "old men" don't like to think to much about that

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 24, 2020 5:09 pm

View Original PostTracey wrote:And while Rei is technically a Angel, she's also technically not. Half and half. Because she is a mix of Yui Ikari and Lilith's DNA but has the soul of Lilith. So there's that too.

The idea that Rei is a genetic mix is fanon -- there's nothing in the show OR supplemental materials that backs it up. (Yes, her colors are different, but "palette-swapped clone" is a trope. The Evas are palette swaps as well. It also says something that when Lilith grows hair, it's white and not blue.) The Rei clones were probably grown using Lilith's body, but that's not the same thing as her being transgenic.

Yui herself is "technically an Angel" (part of the 18th), so the whole matter is ultimately somewhat moot. In addition, Kaworu (unlike Rei) is heavily implied to be an actual transgenic being (not that you'd ever know from looking at him) -- a cross between 1st and 18th.

(Also, please don't double-post -- use edit. Looking up character names is also easy -- show that you're putting at least the tiniest amount of effort into posting.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”