Stryker's op-based thread idea

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:34 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:And really, the one thing that has consistently gotten a thread locked is a user going out of their way to insult or hurt someone.

Some people can insult or hurt without going out of their way; this also needs to be controlled (and such people often leave forums because they think it's boring not hurting people - true story). Insisting on civility is a good standard - civility shows that we are civilised, after all.

That has nothing to do with serious discussion,

Perhaps it does, if serious discussion is deemed to allow subjects that are commonly banned in common areas because they lead to strong feelings - politics and religion, typically. A serious discussion area may explicitly allow these, but have correspondingly more draconian moderation, with offenders banned from posting in that one place if necessary (that's the way at the forum I've been admin of).

The inclination of most of EGF's posters is to not back away from a slight, but meet it head on...which does not work at all on the Internet.

Very true - well, not most posters, actually. Thing is, it takes rather few to damage the atmosphere.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:35 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:And really, the one thing that has consistently gotten a thread locked is a user going out of their way to insult or hurt someone.

Well, that and the mods determining that a thread is too "chatty" and not serious enough or in the old days (circa 2011) a thread going off-topic would just get locked instead of being split. Otherwise, I agree with everything you said.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:41 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:"chatty"

For clarification, what we mean by this is a small number of participants trading posts rapidly and with little actual content. Basically the kind of thing that would make more sense to do on the IRC or Skype rather than cluttering things up on the forum. Or a less hostile form of 'bumpercars', if you prefer.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”