Iron Man 3

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:49 pm

It's important not to confuse what Chuckman thinks the movie is saying with what Chuckman himself actually thinks.

(Yeah he just said as much himself but I repeat it in case of TL;DR.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:18 pm

Fuck it, no caveats; I love you, Chuckman, your posts are greatness.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:35 pm

And I you, my man.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:20 am

It's good to see you breaking out the analysis, Chuckman.

Just to add my two cents to the pot, I personally don't think that the Mandarin is a stereotypical Asian character. Reading the comic books never gave me that impression. Sure, we can trade blows over the facial hair and karate, but I don't believe that it would have been wrong or racist to give the part to an Eastasian actor.

However, this is not to say that I agree with Ray's massive post on the issue. I don't think that the Mandarin is an archetype any more than I think Titanium Man was an archetype. (And Ray, while I'm at it, you're pretty silent on the fact that Black Widow is a Russian character. Just sayin'.) The story does not suffer from having Kingsley play the Mandarin.

I also agree with another point that Chuckman makes: counting non-whites in a film does not solve whitewashing, nor does it make a case for it. Judging a movie by the amount of white actors and actresses is still racism, nothing more.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Question. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:57 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I did not say that capitalism is evil. I said the film says that total lassiez fair equality of opportunity capitalism is destructive and corrosive to culture and a society with broader equality of circumstance

So wait, are you saying that Tony helping out the kid, was the coda of him having learned his lesson with Super villain Mcgeek? Not just, him being appreciative to the kid, or sympathetic because he saw himself in him, or a suggestion by the film that those better off should help those " little people" that helped get them where they are? Or just a par-the-course consequence of karma?

I'd thought I'd made that clear in my discourses on my personal relationship with Anno's belief system.

Where's that at, if I could ask?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:02 am

Shit, I need to see Iron Man 3.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:03 am

It's better than IM2 but worse than IM1. However, it's still definitely worth a watch for the cool factor (and the climax is superb.)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:21 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:As that video I posted said, Mandarin is not a stereotype. He is an ARCHETYPE. Characters like the Mandarin have been around in Asian and Western literature for Millenia, since before the time of Christ even.

Hardly an archetype. Being an archetype would imply he was the origin of all subsequent supervillians who happened to be Asian. However, he first appeared in 1964, and the appearance of the 'evil Asian Fu Manchu' can be traced much earlier to the first half of the 21st Century. Hell, the idea of evil Manchurians can be said to date back to the 1800s when the British were dealing with the decidedly backwards and incompetent Manchu-dominated Qing dynasty, whose cultural dress, insistence on the kowtow for diplomatic relations and the queues (long ponytails, not the other kind of queue) they forced their subordiantes to wear can often be found in early depictions of evil Asians (ie: Fu Manchu). The Mandarin could be said to have been partially born out of the Cold War-era fear of Communist China as well as the old stereotypes lingering around from the aforementioned Qing dynasty. Early depictions of the Mandarin are very similar to the stereotypical slit-eyed beared Fu Manchu image (or Ming the Merciless), further emphasising his status as an Asian stereotype.

Furthermore, the Mandarin is definitely not 'a corrupt Royal Advisor, Noble, or Politician who wishes to overthrow the current ruler and attain power and influence for reasons known only to him.' The Mandarin's origin story schtick was that he was influenced by his father, who was part of the pre-Communist regime, and decided to take his name from the old advisors to the Manchurian Qing dynasty, rather than actually ever serving as an 'advisor' himself. He also is quite open about his desire to seek world domination as a supposed descendant of Genghis Khan (possibly reflecting Confucian ideals regarding the importance of ancestry). In terms of backstory, at least, he doesn't seem comparable to the other villians you have cited.

As for the prevalence of this character elsewhere, 'Asian culture and Cinema' didn't really include many Mandarian figures prior to the conception of the character himself in 1964. Outside of mythology, Chinese literature wasn't exceptionally broad prior to the downfall of the Qing and even then the country spent a great deal of time in turmoil due to the warlord era of 1916-1928 and Chang Kai-Shek's rule from 1927-1947, during which no notable texts featuring characters akin to 'the Mandarin' emerged on account of the fact that in 1916 they hadn't even figured out what the national written language should be (all written communication up til then was knowledge held exclusively by the ruling classes and those who bothered to sit through examinations to learn to read all the obscure texts, thereby keeping the majority of the population illiterate). After Chang Kai-Shek's downfall in 1947, of course, most literature was aimed at praising the Communist Party and slandering the western imperialists. I don't think the crawling masses even had any 'Cinema' to speak of until Deng Xiaoping came to power. As for 'before the birth of Christ', most texts of that era were religious or mythological, so once again we can discard the idea of wide characterisation during that era.

History rant aside, I'd have to conclude by saying that the Mandarin's status as a stereotype cannot be overlooked, even in modern times. The character really doesn't seem to have much depth in his backstory outside of being Asian, evil and keen on world domination. Even far into modern times he perpetuates a beard and long hair, and some kind of period costume. His IM3 incarnation continues this trend with a spoof of his comic costume, a topknot and a beard. The character himself also seems to have been relegated to mostly a background threat recently; far from the memetic fame of Lex Luthor, Doctor Doom or Gendo. Even his codename- a relic of a bygone age- serves to mark him as a symbol of old-age negative views of China.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:30 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:He also is quite open about his desire to seek world domination as a supposed descendant of Chinggis Khan (possibly reflecting Confucian ideals regarding the importance of ancestry).

FTFY.

I haven't read many comics featuring the Mandarin, but his depiction in Matt Fraction's recent run on The Invincible Iron Man seemed to include this fear of the economic power of China. You have Tony Stark, ultra-capitalist, being forced to obey the Mandarin's due to some mental control crap. He's forced to design WMDs or something for the Mandarin so that he can take over the world. This calls back to the origin of Iron Man as seen in his comic and cinematic debuts.

I forget the exact details, but it ends with Tony's enemy-turned-ally Zeke Stane killing the Mandarin, while Tony protests. I guess this is a negative depiction of the growing strength that China has a superpower. It prevents itself from being completely Anti-China, I guess, by the inclusion of Chinese superhero teams Triumph Division and The Dynasty as supporting roles alongside Tony against the Mandarin. Plus, his appearance has been greatly altered from the past (to something kind of boring, but whatever). I think this is the best way to portray the True Mandarin if he shows up in the MCU. Is that even likely, given the fact that the studios probably won't include anything that might prevent the movie from being released in China?
SPOILER: Show

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:39 pm

The second version looks like straight out of a D&D rolebook! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:12 pm

It should be noted that the Mandarin would not have an equivalent anywhere in Asian cinema (outside of those productions influenced by Hong Kong/British cinema), due to the fact that the Mandarin is rooted in the Yellow Peril realm of fiction: distinctly British and American (well...Western in general).
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:26 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:The second version looks like straight out of a D&D rolebook! :lol:

I'll be honest, the second drawing reminds me of Sinestro from that awful Reynolds Green Lantern movie.

Return to “Film and Video”