WTF is your avatar and sig from?(h)

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Summer turns to fall, and it's time for Sedari to go back into hiding, waiting for next summer to strike.

In the meantime, here's Drakan Lokton, the autumn avatar, about whom I know nothing other than his name because I wrote it into the filename to remind myself. Don't remember where I got him from or anything, but he saw life very briefly as my first non-Sedari avatar before I quickly changed him to The Ancient. Now's the perfect time for him to get some play, because his drab colors match the season.

...Still don't go with the green in my mod name, though, which was something I really liked about the blue-heavy Ancient avatar. Likewise the green of my name didn't go well with orange-heavy Sedari, which is one reason I've been looking for replacements ever since the strongest reason for having her in that spot faded (summer).
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 pm

He looks like a Cosplay for Amon from Legend of Korra.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Monk with a new avatar is just... unsettling. I thought you'd joined the one-and-only-one crew on that note, man.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:15 pm

:headscratch: On what note? I made clear back when I put Sedari back on that she was there for the summer. My long-term plan is to main The Ancient for my duration as mod, and then switch to Sedari to match the orange in my name when I ascend to the next level.

If Drakan is unsettling -- well, autumn is my least favorite time of year (but even it has its ups), and it's near Halloween besides so "unsettling" seems appropriate all around.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:16 pm

What? Man, Fall is the best. It's better than circles, even.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:38 pm

Nya-ha-ha.

I like the new avatar, Monk!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:01 pm

I'm a fan. Definitely suits the "Monk" portion of your username.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:24 am

I hope you think the other two did as well.
System Administrator

midorikitakami
Embryo

Postby midorikitakami » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:30 am

my icon, yes.....midori my goddess
we are getting married this Sunday this is 100% official info it will be featured in rebuild 4.0
if i dont talk to myself who will???

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:47 am

Well, if you want a monk who is somewhat "unsettling" but undeniably badass, there's a real-life example for you...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhidharma

The wikipedia image has a blue background - if you crop it right, it should go with the green in your username.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:15 pm

It's that time again when my Giants are going for the title. Gonna enjoy wearing my Buster Posey shirt in Japan and trying to confuse people, since the Yomiuri Giants are also in the NPB postseason, although they look to be knocked out by the Tigers.

Any Cards fans here, maybe next year and any Royals fans, it's on.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Hey, Dream! WTF is your avatar from?
System Administrator

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:05 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Hey, Dream! WTF is your avatar from?

Looks like K-on

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Correct. It's from the conclusion of the first episode. Had the Gargoyle avatar for long enought (though it admittedly is a pretty good avatar) and because of some life/personal stuff i decided it would be a good time to change my image to something more hopeful/happy. For reference's sake this is why i chose that particular image, original shot/image being the last one, also spoiler alert:

SPOILER: Show

By the way, instead of "But it looked really fun" i read it as "But it looked like you had so much fun" in first watching.

As part of the image change i got rid of the previous signatures, but i couldn't think of anything happy to write in there so there's these two as placeholders for now. The Miyazaki quote, i originally wanted to translate and add a quote from Rafael Barrett in which he calls for the citizens (nobles) of Asuncion to go back to the land for spiritual and economic salvation, but once i saw the quote again i felt it didn't translate very well, so i picked the apocalyptic Miyazaki quote as a close second. Second one i thought it was kinda funny in context of the aforementioned quoted.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:02 pm

In the spirit of Halloween, I have changed my avatar to that of my favorite mad scientist, Herbert West, from the classic gorefest Re-Animator.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:05 am

Caster from Fate/stay night.
Last edited by Redtophat on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:02 am

@Dream: wow Miyazaki really said that? I didn't know he was that jaded. Maybe he'll start creating a new project that's a deconstruction of a known genre with deep psychological gorror and philosophical questions or something like that. :lol:

No seriously, that would be really disturbing. :bigeyes:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:30 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:@Dream: wow Miyazaki really said that?

Looks like he went for the idea in Nausicaä, though.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:30 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:@Dream: wow Miyazaki really said that? I didn't know he was that jaded.

You clearly have never read any of his interviews. Miyazaki is A+ tier grump and for most part despairs over state of the world, Japan and modern society with no small hint of apocalyptic macabre.

Really, just read Nausicaa or watch Mononoke Hime and/or The Wind Rises which are just under the surface despairing, grim works. He's no jolly grandpa enlivened by "humanist" values or whatever.

I mean, the man literally ends his career with extremely personal feature about ultimate folly of pursuing hopes and dreams and how in the end they will come crashing down no matter how beautiful they were or how dedicated to them you were.

Frankly even Anno is far less gloomy in his interviews. To outsour Miyazaki's sourness you need eternal whiner like Mamoru Oshii.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:35 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I mean, the man literally ends his career with extremely personal feature about ultimate folly of pursuing hopes and dreams and how in the end they will come crashing down no matter how beautiful they were or how dedicated to them you were.

Kinda sounds like Anno with Evangelion

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Old Stickies”