Why to care...about hair?

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Why to care...about hair?

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Okay, so something that gets addressed sometimes in fanfics are hairstyles. Changing a hairstyle is often a big change to characters, so it's an easy thing to do. And Ray is pondering changing his...Rei's hairstyle (Ray is changing Rei's hairstyle so Ray can have a Rei that's more his Rei and not someone else's Rei...Ray's Rei, if you will....that was entirely pointless but so much fun to write and more to read out loud. Don't judge me).

I'll throw out one of my own: Asuka in Ten Year Whole (just cause that's the first thing on my mind). I had her start the story with a very short haircut, to indicate the massive change in personality and maturing process she went through the decade prior.

So, when writing a character...what hairstyles would you alternate and why?
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Dammit Gob! I was gonna post that on Rei Personality thread!

Split from the Pic thread to discuss with Gob, the hairstyle of Rei-Q post 3.0 in my fic.
SPOILER: Show

I looks way too much like Q Ritsuko.

D looks too much like Midori

A, J, F, K, L look like too much trouble to maintain.

That leaves. . .

B, C, G, and H.

and we already have a Rei with H.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:27 pm

I said I'd race you!

:rei_dance:

As I asked before, what's this Rei's particular circumstances?
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Why to care...about hair?

•      
  •      

Postby gorgeousshutin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:23 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:I'll throw out one of my own: Asuka in Ten Year Whole (just cause that's the first thing on my mind). I had her start the story with a very short haircut, to indicate the massive change in personality and maturing process she went through the decade prior.

So, when writing a character...what hairstyles would you alternate and why?

Hmm . . . Asuka in TYW is a very good example, in that her short hair reinforces what the readers are told about this character's current life: that it is harsh, and that does not permit someone the luxury to spend time/money fussing over appearance.

For me, long wavy hair can signal vivacious sultriness, stark straight hair a more mild personality, tightly bound updos/braids can signal self-restriction, etc, etc . . .
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:13 pm

I'll follow Gob's example with my own stuff. In SCE, Rei's hair has the same length and overall style as in canon but looks a bit frazzled and unkempt, almost like that of a delinquent, due to Rei not caring about her looks or what other people think of her. Once she starts to care (due to Shinji), she gets her hair in order but Shinji tells her not to bother because he doesn't mind if she looks unkempt, nor does he want to force his opinion onto her. Her clone sister Reika has an even shorter and even more frazzled & unkempt look because she cares even less than Rei about her appearance and because she's the comic relief character. As an adult, Rei still has the same hairstyle and -length, the latter mostly because her daughter Haruka (noted to heavily resemble Rei) deliberately grew her own hair longer to look different from Rei.

Of the above chart, Rei has a hybrid between H and I, Reika has I and Haruka has G.

As for Asuka, she never wears neural clips while off-duty to make it a point that this isn't canon!Asuka we're talking about: she's not dependent on her pilot status this time (and later on, the clips are phased out for forehead bands). She initially keeps her (strawberry blond, as in the manga) hair tied into a ponytail for similar reasons but near the end of the story, she lets her hair down as she's forming a romantic attachment to someone. As an adult, Asuka's hair is still long but this time she has it tied into a bun, partly to signify her expanded responsibilities as a mother and a senior officer.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:29 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:I said I'd race you!

:rei_dance:

this forum needs a like button, damn it. :lol:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:39 pm

^

:kaworusparkle:

Or a dance button.

NemZ, I am putting in a formal request for a dance button.

Amitakartok, I like how you showed a transition in Rei's character by adjusting her hairstyle through the story. It's an interesting way of showing how a physical appearance is reflective of an internal change: you could focus the entire view of the reader on the physical aspect, and it would still cue them into it.

Which makes me wonder about something else: it's easy to mess with the girls' as far as their hair is concerned, but has anyone seen any major adjustments to Shinji or the guys? Speaking from experience, a change in a guy's hair can be just as reflective of character (another personal example: the day before I go to drill, I have grown out my hair and have a beard. The guy putting on the uniform is clean-shaven and high-and-tight. There's a mental change that goes with that as well: I'm in Army mode, and people who know me are surprised at how different the two 'me's are). Anyone seen any changes as applied to the men/boys of Evangelion? Or what major changes would one suggest for them?
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:44 pm

There's not much to do there. Almost all guys wear their hair the same: short, with no restrictions. I used to have waist-length hair until a year ago (started growing it in high school) but had to cut it because it was falling out like crazy and everyone said it looked horrible on a guy.

The only thing I can think of in that regard among my works is that Kaworu in SCE has frazzled hair as a consequence of his past as a street kid. As an adult, he's still frazzled but this time because PTSD causes him to not give a damn; he also has a stubble that rivals Kaji's for the same reason - and that's AFTER Asuka is through with tidying him up.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm also doing something Similar with hairstyle as it applies to Shinji's change as a character in my fic.

In my Fic, following 3.0 and his time spent isolated from everyone, he'd just have given up on everything and everyone. As such he wouldn't bother taking care of himself cosmetically. his hair would grow 'mangled' the crew cut he had would become something that reflects his internal change.

As for Rei, I haven't really had time to write much for her. I've been so focused on getting Shinji right I sometimes forget about her.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:52 pm

...I suppose it's a trope because "important haircuts" is realy something people do. Also, the cast is full of teenagers, who are liable to get bored of their hairstyles anyways.
I've head that Japan even has its own variant of associating haircuts with breakups, although breakups are "life-events", so it comes down to the same things.

Generally, the most common associations are, for girls, that short is "practical" while long is "pretty", while for men it's a scale between "everyman" and "epic"(short is an average dude, medium could be an artist or dreamer, long is a larger than life person, like an idealist rebel, or a guy who is somehow supernatural) , with close-cropped going with its own "sportive" or "military" associations, but in the end, a hair style means what the person who has it done wants it to mean.
You don't want it to accidentally come across as "all long haired women are weak", "I'm giving this boy a cheesy cool upgrade, hence the ponytail" or "all short haired women are angry butches" or worse, "all people of my preferred Gender should look a certain way that pleases me".
You can do stuff for personal preference (it's your fic after all) as long as you aknowledge it as such.
I remember one particular fic of the "Shinji gets a better upbringing" variety, which started out very well and went on that way for many chapters, but them eventually made the mistake of basically assuming that Rei, once "defrosted", is a blank slate they can mold into everything they want... that, and random Homophobia from nowhere? In any case, Shinji suggests that Rei grow her hair out, which might be constructive in-universe (where Gendo just sent her to a guy wo was to give her Yui's exact same haircut), so it would have been a measure of "breaking out of Gendo's shadow", but then, the Reason he had Shinji give is, basically, "Girls should have long hair because it shows their feminity and beauty", and even has her see a vision of how her life would have gone in canon-verse only for her to find that, "oh, this short-hair Rei is sure a mechanical robot". :facepalm:
Alright, I admit Rei is something I'm liable to go into nerdrage about, but, in general, the fic was just losing all semblance to the source material, and not in an "intelligent developement" kind of way, either.

I mean, being practical is part of her character. Sure, sometimes she overdoes functionality, putting it beyond everything else in a way that's not necessarily healthy, but you can be practical without being morbid about it. Although neither of these is inherently connected to a particular hairstyle. It's a metaphor you can use if you want to, for sure, because everything is symbolic and big in books. Or can be.

Doesn't have to be a "cut", either. See time skip Misato. Lenght stays the same, but once youthful bangs are grown up and tucked behind ears, and "pretty/classic feminine" long hair gets put in a "strict, cold" hairknot. The sideways ponytail she has when the knot comes of coincides with a scene where less cold parts of her are revealed (she can't bring herself to kill Shinji), but it still says "cool" (She's a spaceship captain after all) more than "warm".

There's also the opposite, growing the hair out, (although this obviously takes time). More confident Timesiskip!Maya has slightly longer hair, for example.

If you have a longer fic, this can also be used to simply indicate the different etappes of i, or for the heck of it (after all, a huge personal change/life event isn't the only reason anyone ever changes their hairstyle. See Yui, who, at least in the Manga and Rebuild, often has different hair leghts in every flashback; Perhaps she'd just cut it off at irregular intervals, or when it began annoying her, but symbolic plot magic made sure she'd never cut it as short as Rei's, because in Anime, Hair is a magic character design differentiating tool; It just sticks out less in writing because the reader doesn't always "see" it, just when you discribe the character in Detail. ANIMA also had one of the additional Rei clones make her hair shorter simply to differentiate her from the others.)

Something you may have noticed is that even though the three main characters are in the middle of puberty throughout the series, they aren't really shown to grow or change much beyond Mari's and Asuka's parenthetical remarks about the recent sprouting of their breasts when they are first introduced - this is perhaps due to the limitations of stylized animation, or it being too much of a hassle, but written media do this all the time - See, for example, Harry Potter, which is not even that focussed on the "teenage experience" and more concerned with fantay themes and the big fight between good and evil, (romance being more a sideways joke except that one time the locket hocrux used it (among other things) to unsucessfully tempt Ron. As Sauron learned just as hard as Voldemort, you should never underestimate the Hero's stupid sidekick;) but still gives us a lot of detailed descriptions of how the protagonists develop over the years.
You can do that with your fic, too, just to add overall atmosphere/a sense of time here and there.
Of course, these are very beloved and sucessfull character desighns that will have people crying "Blasphemy!" real fast if you meddle with them... it's something that you either risk and consequently do, or don't.
Any implication of [less favorite girl] should be more like [favorite girl] should probably be avoided as well, although, crazy people may read it into that anyway, there is a point where it's your fic and their nerdrage is their own problem, or rather, it's a balance. Can't please everyone if you want to do proper art, but there is stuff that only interests you (Easiest example: Mary Sue or Self-insert ship fic)

Things I have prsonally considered doing
- Have Mari try all kinds of weird hairstyles short-term, most notably various variations of Braids; Mari with twin Braids is just a thing I have. Mari's personality just seems to go well with weird hairstyles; An Alice band and twin tails on a 15 year old (much less 29 year old) already count as one.
- Asuka trying some fancy things for fancy occasions. It eventually gets markedly longer than it was at the start. Also, important haircut! I admit this is because I like shot, red hair, but the in-universe context might be her commemorating/underlining a decision to stop putting on a mask. I'm picturing that she hastily lops it off in a moment of heightened emotion, and then has either Misato or her Stepmom cut it more into shape as a gesture of reconcilliation, with a heart-to heart talk of sorts taking place during it? After some timeskip, one of the indicators of the time is that it's long again, and possibly tied back as a high ponytail, because it looks badass on her in fanart.
- Shinji's & Kensuke's ANIMA hairstyles, the latter doing it as a response to the former, because he feels left out and wants to be a hero, the former due to more... intricate reasons. Basically, someone suggests slightly longer would look good on him, and he... has a complicated relationship with more what she represents than the person herself. It's part of a resolution to fix things, but a resolution is worthless i it doesn't lead to action. He adds the hairtie later in honor of Kaji, but the getup then later degenerates into something wilder-looking that hangs into his face a lot as the situation goes south.
- I don't have anything planned with Rei's hair, per se, but if we are in the context of "seeing the characters grow up", there must be that awkward moment where she looks more like Yui in some ways, as she matures, and this weirding out those who knew Yui.
- Anime!Kyoko has short hair; Manga!Kyoko has long hair, but we mostly see her after she has gone bonkers. How about an incarnation of her who... say, no one bothered to keep her hair short after she went bonkers, so towards the end of her hospitalization, it's long, and if you're doing a long flashback to poor little Asuka and when she first came to live with her father & his new wife, you use this to convey time. Mostly got this idea because of poor Casca... (from Berserk)
- An interesting thing to do would be to see if a character can appropiate the same metaphor for a different meaning; Especially in the sense that the Characters can't really help that they have some resemblance to their parents/mentors/genetic donors/rivals/whatever, but you can decide to use the same tools for different uses; Rei, her various "versions" and her entire plot is obviously exploitable for that, but it works just as well for Misato/Asuka/Shinji and their parents.

@ Ray: I like G!
Last edited by Kendrix on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:06 pm

I like B the best. . .

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:08 pm

That's an interesting point on enforcing the traditional ideas of femininity through longer hair. Personally, this is something I like to screw with, as I find femininity has less to do with hair and more with presentation: that the character is presenting themselves as feminine. Maybe their hair is short (a la pixie), but is it styled? Is well-groomed? Is the character feminine in and of her/his self regardless of the hair?

It's like you said, Kendrix: there's a strange propensity to make males with longer hair more masculine despite that length having the opposite connotation for female characters. Those lengths do allow a lot of room for quick storytelling without exposition, though: an unhealthy male character with long, bedraggled hair is someone who stopped taking care of themselves a long time ago, for example.

As for changing the hair in the main cast, it does get...interesting reactions. I remember some people seemed hurt and genuinely upset that Asuka's hair was cropped in TYW, which demonstrates an interesting...fixation we develop on the appearance of the characters: that if it changes, something fundamental about the character has changed. Which...can be true, in an interesting way.

To Kendrix: You have some interesting ideas for how these characters' hairstyles can change, though I'm surprised that you haven't much to say on Rei (YOU don't have much to say on Rei! I feel like I don't know you anymore...). Though this might also indicate what a blank slate (I hate to use that in this context, but bear with me) Rei's appearance can be in terms of her development. She can really swing into any hairstyle to indicate a drastic change in mood or personality, from styling it to indicate an interest in maintaining herself, to even just shaving it all off (which itself could mean anything to a breakdown or breakthrough: I am me, I am doing this thing, and it feels good to do it).

Another interesting thing: facial hair. The boys are obviously too young, but in those stories that proceed past the age of fourteen, facial hair is one way that young men tend to assert or differentiate themselves.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:37 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:
To Kendrix: You have some interesting ideas for how these characters' hairstyles can change, though I'm surprised that you haven't much to say on Rei (YOU don't have much to say on Rei!

That's probably just me thinking Rei's hair is perfect already, and liking 90'ies Sci-Fi hair bobs in general.
Maybe that makes me lazy. I do concur with your assesment that she could essentially do anything with it if that was made a topic.

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Another interesting thing: facial hair. The boys are obviously too young, but in those stories that proceed past the age of fourteen, facial hair is one way that young men tend to assert or differentiate themselves.

Don't think Shinji would get much of that... and even if he did, he'd probably shave because Gendo has facial hair and seeing any on his own face would be weird...
But now that you say it, I do see "Misato and Kaji buy him a razor, just in case/in advance" as a possible rite of passage/family bonding moment, possibly to punctuate some other milestone in the flow of a given fic.

...another "gradual aging" thing one could inflict on the teenaged characters is that famed voice change awkwardness, although I have no clue how that works. Never noticed anything as... abrupt as what those sex ed educational videos commonly present with my brother.
Some day, people just randomly started mistaking him for our father on the phone. He obviously doesn't sound like he did when I was still taller than him, but despite having been around him every day, i can't exactly say since when...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:45 pm

An interesting point on personal grooming devices as a rite of passage: that's a very good idea. This little things that you don't think about (the personal things that you take for granted) are the sort of things that really mark a person's transition through life.

It's tough to say whether or not Shinji would lose the facial hair: I could see him as an adult with a shade, sort of the thing where he shaves it when he remembers to, but has to be reminded.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:22 am

With hairstyles, I generally stick to canon. However, if I make a change, I just picture the character doing whatever it is that I've written them as, and then rely on the people that I've seen doing the same thing (or a suitable equivalent; I don't have somebody piloting their mother to use as reference) to look for hairstyles. I find that the same thing goes for clothing as well.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Why to care...about hair?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:31 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Okay, so something that gets addressed sometimes in fanfics are hairstyles. Changing a hairstyle is often a big change to characters, so it's an easy thing to do.
The notorious Japanese CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, when the formerly best girl hacks off her long hair... Yes, it can indicate a powerful rejection of her former self, and can be coupled with a change in wardrobe as well.

I did that as well, after an Asuka major trauma

[Scene: The pilot testing labs in NERV HQ. Maya and Misaki are in conversation with Dr. Mihara. Misaki is still wearing her plug-suit — the test has just finished.
[Freya enters, with another almost identical girl. We can tell them apart by hair colour. The newcomer's short, spiked, hair is red, except for a bleached tuft at the front.]

“Well,” she says, petulantly, “I did it.”
She hesitates, then in a haunted voice, continues.
“And there wasn't a trace. Not a ghost of him.”

where for context, we have Freya's introduction (Asuka first person view)

I'm about 50km in, and not really there at all, lost in the pulse of the ride, when this girl steps out in front of me, and I skid to a halt, barely missing running into her. She stands there, cool, calm, and collected, as if she has judged my stopping distance to the millimeter, and allowed a generous two or three as margin of error.

I don't recognise her. Her skin is as pale as Ayanami's, but everything else is black — the short, spiky hair, eyes of jet, a leather vest and short skirt. Knee boots with thick platform soles and long fingerless leather gloves. And straps and buckles — everywhere.

“Are you stupid?” I yell in her face.

but she grows out of it in later years.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:45 am

I remember in Aoi how Asuka decided to get Shinji's hairstyle, it invoked deep feels within me.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:58 am

I haven't messed with hair in my fic much at all, but I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned Asuka's neural interface headset even once. This is very much by design, as I consider that a bigger deal for her than her choice of hairstyle per se. As to said style, I have to imagine she'd cut it after 3I as it would become a tangled mess in short order given how difficult day to day coping is. But later, after things settle down, she might grow it back; I imagine she and Shinji might even get some benefit out of brushing it on a regular basis.

As for Shinji, I like the idea of his growing his hair out (Anima handled this well). However, now that I've had Kaji return I think he'd probably cut it back, so as to avoid feeling like a copycat.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:00 am

I did play with a little of this in the latest Blue Rose story, partly as the storyline lent itself to a little more attention to the character’s appearances and that includes hairstyles. This included a time-skip of about one year in the last chapter so that required working out how the characters appeared later on in the timeline.

Asuka: a portion of the story finds her at home in Germany and she received an invitation from a wealthy college classmate to a party. For this I had her drop the A10s and then wear an “updo” with a large red bow, mostly just to have something different. She keeps the same hairstyle from the series pretty much all through the story until the time-skip, then we drop the A10s completely and have it long and clean.

Rei: I don’t mess with her hair much except for her date, and for that I had her hair cut more neatly in the pageboy style she normally wears, but also hold what’s left of it back on top and, yes, go with a large blue bow.
The style itself was an idea I got from Gegege’s Neko Musume
, but using blue instead of red.

After the time-skip I have Rei grow her hair out completely, not on anyone’s particular suggestion but more out of her own curiosity of how it would look, as well as an effort to surprise her boyfriend. As I’m still writing that last chapter, I hadn’t settled on a final style for her other than long but after seeing that chart “C” is looking fairly good. I did sort of want her to keep the bangs but that might be hard on long hair to pull off well.

Mari:
Here I had a little more fun. She keeps the twin tails in most cases, but you do see her with different styles. Sometimes she’ll just brush it out long behind her with the hairband.
In another scene she wears a Chinese-style QiPao and does her hair all in braids. For a formal party she wears it long and then does it up in curls, going without the glasses for a princess-like effect.

Hikari: Also someone who I can work with a little more. Hikari keeps her twin tails but for a party goes (somewhat OOC) completely glam and then comes up with French curls in place of the braids, something which I thought was a better change of pace. After the time skip I have her growing out her hair more but still keeping in braids, only now they’re more elaborate, sort of like how she has them in Anima.

Shinji: didn’t change much until the time skip, then I have him with both a ponytail (also an idea I got from Anima) and added glasses to the look. Shinji has a major growth spurt a year after the original story, making him taller than even Mari, he very definitely looks different than before.

It’s fun to do this, actually, as I think it breathes more life into the characters. I’d like to see comparisons between fantwork authors on what their characters wear as well.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

Return to “Fanfiction”