The Eva 3.0+1.0 Title

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

The Eva 3.0+1.0 Title

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:03 pm

So, I re-watched Anno’s first directorial work this evening Gunbuster: Aim for the Top, and had a sudden realization as to where Anno got his title "Evangelion 3.0+1.0."

SPOILER: Show

Now, I feel as though Anno had already borrowed from Gunbuster with the 14 year time gap surprise at the beginning of Q, just as there was a 12,000 year time gap surprise at the end of Gunbuster. No matter if you were prepared for the thought of a time gap in either series, the actual revelation of said gap always came as a sudden shock to any first-time viewer of both Gunbuster and Eva Q.

In the preview NTE titles, Anno would style the “X.0” titles from the Kare Kano series he directed in the late 90’s, as they both used decimals in order to identify the current installment of the narrative the viewer is watching.

I wonder if Anno isn’t going to continue digging into his Gunbuster roots with Eva 3.0+1.0. The title is already there, with the “X+1” numerology in the title.

It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: The Eva 3.0+1.0 Title

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Nice catch. (I feel incredibly inadequate that such a weird enumeration never popped out at me all the times I've watched Gunbuster.)

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I wonder if Anno isn’t going to continue digging into his Gunbuster roots with Eva 3.0+1.0.

Jokes and/or speculation to that effect has been made, incidentally. It was probably prompted by the double-whammy of Kare Kano tracks being resurrected for 2.0 plus Nadia BGM along with other callbacks being made in 3.0 -- Top o nerae! seemed like the logical next step. (The only way it doesn't fit is that Kohei Tanaka rather than Sagisu composed the Gunbuster music, but eh.)

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:40 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I wonder if Anno isn’t going to continue digging into his Gunbuster roots with Eva 3.0+1.0. The title is already there, with the “X+1” numerology in the title.

Well, GunBuster is the only major Anno work that hasn't been given some sort of overt callback or reference in the NTE series thus far.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the 'chu.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Silly theory time~!

So we have plenty of documentation of Anno reusing stuff. The man knows what he likes and if he likes it enough he'll dig it up and do it bigger. We've also had plenty of speculation about what he could/might reuse with Gunbuster or digging deeper. I speculated how he might go even further back and reuse Daicon stuff

But now we have a potential wrench thrown into the mix: Anno's retrospective at the Tokyo Film Festival

Anno said it was Producer Suzuki that asked him about it since Miyazaki retired and can't be bothered.

So now that every little thing Anno ever did is about to be displayed for a substantial audiece, what if Anno starts having doubt about reaching back and borrowing again? Sorta like "It was fine when only a few nerds know what I did but now everyone will know where I got that!" Seems like a pretty annoying situation for a creator to find himself in.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:07 pm

I doubt he's one to compromise his vision based on fan reactions or knowledge. References aren't as fun when nobody gets them, anyway.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Alternatively, going through this retrospective Anno could be reminded of something amazing that he totally forgot about.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:03 am

The name is gonna be confusing, when the DVD gets out. I hope he changes the name to something more distinct before it comes out. Or else were gonna keep having this conversation.

Customer: "I'd like to buy 3.0+1.0 please!"

CLERK: "The first and third movie or the fourth movie?"

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:06 am

Seriously, I can't help but feel that this title is incredibly pretentious, regardless of references. -o-;
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:01 am

View Original PostRay wrote:The name is gonna be confusing, when the DVD gets out. I hope he changes the name to something more distinct before it comes out.

When the Blu-Ray comes out (they're not bothering with DVD anymore), expect it to be called 3.33+1.11.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:17 am

That doesn't add up to a round number.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:41 am

My goofy desire for the final movie to be in Black & White is given more credence.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:24 am

Nice catch-- but what does it mean? Is there anything from that particular episode of Gunbusters that would make sense for us to use to speculate about the fourth movie, given what little we know?

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:32 am

View Original PostRay wrote:The name is gonna be confusing, when the DVD gets out. I hope he changes the name to something more distinct before it comes out. Or else were gonna keep having this conversation.

Customer: "I'd like to buy 3.0+1.0 please!"

CLERK: "The first and third movie or the fourth movie?"

Man, you just stole my joke :hahaha:

And yeah, It would be funny. But I don't expect it will be the final title. Anno is trolling us as always :hahaha:
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

xyz346
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby xyz346 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:43 am

You know, that actually gave me a weird thought for the English title...
You Can (Not) Redo Alone?

Though I doubt that would be the actual one when it comes out for real...

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:57 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:So, I re-watched Anno’s first directorial work this evening Gunbuster: Aim for the Top, and had a sudden realization as to where Anno got his title "Evangelion 3.0+1.0."

SPOILER: Show

Now, I feel as though Anno had already borrowed from Gunbuster with the 14 year time gap surprise at the beginning of Q, just as there was a 12,000 year time gap surprise at the end of Gunbuster. No matter if you were prepared for the thought of a time gap in either series, the actual revelation of said gap always came as a sudden shock to any first-time viewer of both Gunbuster and Eva Q.

In the preview NTE titles, Anno would style the “X.0” titles from the Kare Kano series he directed in the late 90’s, as they both used decimals in order to identify the current installment of the narrative the viewer is watching.

I wonder if Anno isn’t going to continue digging into his Gunbuster roots with Eva 3.0+1.0. The title is already there, with the “X+1” numerology in the title.

It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Come to think of it, the space battle at the beginning of Q may or ay not have been Gunbuster-inspired. Although Shinji does not receive much of a 'Welcome Home!' :lol:
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:27 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Nice catch-- but what does it mean? Is there anything from that particular episode of Gunbusters that would make sense for us to use to speculate about the fourth movie, given what little we know?

The only thing I can come up with are some very generalized concepts, though I do like what Gendo’sPapa said about the film possibly being black & white.

First of all, the Gunbuster episode isn’t really called Chapter 4+1, but rather the last installment of the little Science Lesson short films in-between episodes was called Chapter 4+1. These delved right into the sci-fi exposition of the series without having to dedicate any awkward or boring dialogue scenes mid-episode to it. This way the episodes themselves could focus on character and plot elements, while these short films focused on all of the world building and exposition. These short films were placed in-between each episode until we reach the last two episodes, where both short films were played back-to-back just before the final two episodes. Instead of calling it “Chapter 5,” the short film was titled “Chapter 4+1” with the chapter right after it being called “The Final Chapter.”

This could mean that “Final” could be split into two parts: “Evangelion 3.0+1.0” and “Evangelion Final.” Or it could mean that the english title for the film is “Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Final” or “Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Evangelion Final,” similar to EoE’s full english title “Neon Genesis Evangelion Theater: Air/Love is Destructive, A True Heart Ror You/One More Final: I need you,” or alternatively, “Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion.” In this instance, the titles “Final” or “Evangelion Final” might replace the typical “You __ (Not) __” titles.

Though, all of that speculation aside (especially since most of it is being pulled right from my rectum at this point), I do think there is something meaningful in FINAL with the “X+X” identification going on.

The movie is called “Evangelion 3.0+1.0,” starting from the greater number and then adding it to the lesser number. The Eva Unit featured in the preview is also identified in a similar fashion: “Evangelion Unit 8+2,” also first starting with the greater number, then adding it t0 the lesser number. (As an interesting side note, “8+2” is simply the “4+1” chapter title from Gunbuster with each number in the equation multiplied by 2.) This could mean that there is some sort of significance in the addition or joining of certain items in Final, whether it be the joining of certain Eva Units, the joining of certain spears as was briefly discussed in Q, the joining of two friends such as Shinji and Misato, or the joining of the two souls of Shinji and Rei II.

Basically, this title seems to suggest that things might be coming together in FINAL, rather than be stripped apart.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:44 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Well, GunBuster is the only major Anno work that hasn't been given some sort of overt callback or reference in the NTE series thus far.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the 'chu.

Asuka did have that sweet Inazuma Kick she used on Clockiel!

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:40 pm

@ xyz346

You're not the only one to have that thought, look at the Official Eva Final updated NTV preview thread if you get a chance.
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:42 pm

I notice that folks are still stubbornly calling the last film "Final", when in fact "Final" was a placeholder that has now been replaced with "3.0+1.0". :p There is always "Shin", you know.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Come to think of it, the space battle at the beginning of Q may or ay not have been Gunbuster-inspired. Although Shinji does not receive much of a 'Welcome Home!' :lol:

The scene does end with Kaworu stalkerishly providing as much, though.

View Original PostJäeger wrote:But I don't expect it will be the final title. Anno is trolling us as always :hahaha:

I doubt that. The way "3+1" has been revealed basically means they've committed to it. (And can the "Anno is trolling us" meme be laid to rest, please? It's been overused to the point of losing all meaning.)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:27 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:There is always "Shin", you know.
There's always Unicode Character 'MUSICAL SYMBOL RIGHT REPEAT SIGN' (U+1D107)

Or failing that, simply :||
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”