GUNBUSTER - before EVA anno's greatest work ;D

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:36 pm

In GL, once Simon is "given" Nia - "the cute girl in a box" - he overcomes all his feelings of doubt & becomes an entirely different character entirely. For the entire second half of the series I don't remember one moment where Simon worries or doubts that he won't come out on top of any problems thrown at him.

This is actually something I kind of agree with.
Well the thing with Nia is that it's OK to seek out help sometimes. But yeah, Simon changes a lot during the last 4 episodes of the first arch.
The second arch motivates me more, because you see how this boy as a grown up is a really great person, while the transition from 11 to 12 doesn't feel as natural as it should.
Oh, and in episode 18 Simon is pretty shocked by everything.

Simon stops being himself at the end of episode 11 & becomes an entirely new & completely 2-Dimensional character for the rest of the show.

I don't know if this makes a lot of sense, but the fact that he wasn't 2-dimensional at the beginning makes him more interesting to me in the second half too.

You can argue about there being themes & subtext but it's all really shallow & without any real thought put into what it all means.

Hmm, I think there is more than it seems. An imdb user convinced me of that.
There is also some attention to detail (Simon's star shaped glasses are an hommage to Kittan).
But there's definitely heart put into the show. So I don't think I'd call it shallow.

Gunbuster meanwhile is a show where an artist is taking something mainstream & traditional - for anime at least - & transforms it into something more.

I really see them both as the same type of work, and see Gurren Lagann as the better executed one.
I am always open to be proven wrong though.

Noriko doesn't get a cute girl in a box. She overcomes everything because...there is no reason. Because arm-crossing. And I actually love that.
And doesn't Noriko change too much too? And doesn't she stop worrying about everything too? She's worried about Kazumi and motivates her like a badass (Simon-Rossiu).
Simon's reaction to Nia's death (which contrasts with his reaction to Kamina's death) and Noriko's reaction to the 14000 year timeskip(!).

Edit: And I want to add, I love both shows too.

----
I don't want to hurt your feelings, but if you want to look at a medium as art, you have to start examining differently than which character did what in a more badass way. And how cool something looks.

That's definitely not how I look at art.

When you watch it for the first time it is indeed endearing, fun and exciting

It was on my second viewing that I appreciated it.

especially the losing of school friends while growing up is portrayed extremely well

I can also say that the loss of a loved one is portrayed extremely well in Gurren Lagann, unrequited love is portrayed well, and so on, and that still doesn't make it a masterpiece. The same would go for Gunbuster.

but something devoid of real meaning cannot lose substance over time

But what is this real meaning in Gunbuster?
Top wo nerae! Fight the power!
This is what these shows are (something beautiful actually). Traditional entertainment, but they are really good at what they are.
But what does Gunbuster do? I am really asking, I have changed my opinion on stuff often (example: Gurren Lagann).
Does it have symbolism, extremely well written characters (no..., although that wasn't the point), does it do something really special visualwise?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:55 pm

There's been a Gunbuster thread all this time and I never knew about it?

OK then, I'll keep this brief.

Gunbuster is the greatest work of fiction ever made, and if we ever launch another Voyager probe it needs to have the Gunbuster boxset on it.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:04 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:There's been a Gunbuster thread all this time and I never knew about it?

OK then, I'll keep this brief.

Gunbuster is the greatest work of fiction ever made, and if we ever launch another Voyager probe it needs to have the Gunbuster boxset on it.

Heyyy, some weeks ago KlK was the greatest work of fiction. xD
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Gunbuster: Aim for the Top is one of the greatest works to be told in a mere 6 episodes.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is the other of the greatest works to be told in a mere 6 episodes.

Kill la Kill, even though it is yet unwatched by me, I wouldn’t consider comparing only because it has a lot more time (24 episodes) than the other’s mere 6 episodes to flesh out its story. It’s like comparing a 10-minute short film to a feature-length movie trilogy. It’s quite unfair and the odds are more times than not obviously stacked against the short film simply due to duration constraints.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:09 am

Oh, I don't really agree. Both long and short can be equally worthwhile - they're just rather different disciplines. Some stories don't need to be drawn out longer, which doesn't make them any less worthwhile. Gunbuster is perhaps the very best of the short series; but War in the Pocket, FLCL, and even Diebuster show us that there is plenty of scope for variety of technique as well as excellence in a mere six episodes.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:05 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Kill la Kill, even though it is yet unwatched by me, I wouldn’t consider comparing only because it has a lot more time (24 episodes) than the other’s mere 6 episodes to flesh out its story. It’s like comparing a 10-minute short film to a feature-length movie trilogy. It’s quite unfair and the odds are more times than not obviously stacked against the short film simply due to duration constraints.

I was just joking with Kill la Kill. I think it's too different (and well, there are 25 episodes :P).
I am not really going against Gunbuster either, I just think that keeping in mind how long Gunbuster and TTGL are, both are great. And I think TTGL does the same slightly better.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:47 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Gunbuster: 8/10
Gurren Lagann: 9/10

That's my score. Gunbuster's fanservice is too stupid sometimes,

Said the guy with a KLK avatar :uhh:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:10 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Said the guy with a KLK avatar :uhh:

The series with stupid fanservice that knows how stupid it is.
Seriously, it's as if I had an avatar of Goku from Dragon Ball. How can you compare that to Gunbuster?
It's partly done for the lolz in Gunbuster too, I suppose. It's still weird, while it is funny in KlK.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”