Does FINAL even have a chance?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:53 pm

I will only be satisfied if anno has secretly all along teamed up with legendary pictures and guilermo del toro to make a live action segment of final a la pacific rim.
ANATA BAKA !?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:20 pm

I will only be satisfied if the final battle switches from animation to claymation.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:44 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I will only be satisfied if the final battle switches from animation to claymation.

Actually, that sounds pretty awesome. I'd actually be okay with seeing that.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:21 am

^ Only if the claymation is in the style of Jan Svankmeyer!

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PimIOvFKPPE[/url]

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Freaky: you're burning a straw man there, dude. I was responding to the notion that assuming the audience cares about Asuka is a bad idea, not shipping or whatever else you might have been thinking. It's pretty obvious the audience does care about Asuka, just as it's plain they care about Shinji and Rei and Misato. Assuming such to be the case is thus pretty rational, and hardly a bad idea.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:53 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:In that context, is seems rather natural for Asuka to take a lower tier in the relationship factor than Rei or Misato in the remade films, considering that she technically was for most of NGE. (Despite living with Shinji, Rei and Shinji still seem to take greater interest in one another in the show, and not entirely for reasons regarding romance or libido.)

The difference between Asuka and Rei is that Asuka is largely a known factor, whose relationship with Shinji had been established very quickly in both NGE and Rebuild. She is a very sad, traumatized and messed-up human being, and we all know that. But it doesn't take a genius to figure out what trajectory her relationship with Shinji will take.

Rei, on the other hand, is a wildcard both plotwise and relationship-wise. We already know that she's connected to Shinji and Gendo, but how exactly will she move forwards? What will everyone do with her? Why does the show keep suggesting that there is something weird going on with her that we are not privy to? It's simply the mystery factor which makes Rei X Shinji so much more prominent - you've already pretty much paired up Asuka with Shinji, but what about Rei?

The same thing applies in Rebuild. Just look at how Rei's nature and role are as much of an enigma as ever. Is she Lilith's vessel again? Is she something else entirely? What's Kaworu? We don't know any of that. But with Asuka...well, we've seen her after 14 years and not much has changed. Whatever happens between her and Shinji is likely to fold out on highly predictable lines - I say likely, because the way Anno might throw a spanner in the works and give us a surprise is by changing the dynamics of the Shinji-Asuka relationship altogether, and that's something I wouldn't put past him - it's precisely what would draw an emotional reaction from an audience for whom the trajectory of their relationship is apparently clearly established.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:26 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Freaky: you're burning a straw man there, dude. I was responding to the notion that assuming the audience cares about Asuka is a bad idea, not shipping or whatever else you might have been thinking. It's pretty obvious the audience does care about Asuka, just as it's plain they care about Shinji and Rei and Misato. Assuming such to be the case is thus pretty rational, and hardly a bad idea.

Oh.

See, you said “selling point,” so I went ahead and researched all of the points at which GIANAX was selling the concept of Evangelion. In that sense, I don’t think it was a straw-man, per se. especially since GAINAX loves using shipping (or just forms of sexualization in general) as a point of selling their products of interest.

I may have just misunderstood what you meant by “selling point,” though. I took it to mean advertisement. :tongue:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:52 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Oh.

See, you said “selling point,” so I went ahead and researched all of the points at which GIANAX was selling the concept of Evangelion. In that sense, I don’t think it was a straw-man, per se. especially since GAINAX loves using shipping (or just forms of sexualization in general) as a point of selling their products of interest.

I may have just misunderstood what you meant by “selling point,” though. I took it to mean advertisement. :tongue:

No, I meant "why audiences watch the show in the first place." How Gainax/Khara markets it is another matter (though you understate her presence in ads and such; we mostly get her and Rei doing shit, and the links you provided aren't really typical of what we see marketing-wise (and they suggest Rei's a far more central character in the show than she is; she started out that way, but as many a Reifag can attest she got sidelined when Asuka showed up and didn't come back into prominence until the final episodes of the series). I also think you're off-base re: Misato; yes, she's billed as the secondary protagonist, but I don't think you'd get much support for the notion that her relationship with Shinji is more important, either to the narrative or to the audience, than his relationships with either Rei or Asuka).

Also, what the bear said.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:39 pm

Some people's near-certainty about Final is the most surprising thing to me, post-Q. After that I thought, "well, no one's going to make grand predictions about the plot anymore". Heh. Whether it's the ending, or how certain characters will figure into the next film, I just don't see how anyone can say where this train is heading.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:53 pm

^ Definitely, expect the unexpected.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:03 pm

The only way 3.0 + 1.0 stands a chance depends entirely on what YOU the viewer bring to it.

If you're one of those people who got your panties all in a bunch over 3.0 because :
"Oh my gerd, they dropped all that awesome shit from 2.0 where Shinji was a badass & Rei was his bitch & now Eva wasn't all gay & shit with that weird experimental bullshit & Anno stopped trolling me because he really cares what I think. And what is this shit? This movie is all people talking & emotions, where's Shinji's bitches cooking him food & where's the traditional three-act plot structure & wah, I don't like this cause I don't know what happened in those missing 14 years & I'm not gonna like this until somebody comes along & gives me the 411 on what went down between films! Maybe if half of the final film is flashbacks filling in the blanks or we get a pointless TV series that plays a game of Fill-in-the-Missing-Unneeded-Exposition then I'll give a film a chance!"
Then NO. The last movie doesn't stand a chance. You may as well quit while you're ahead.

IF you're one of those viewers who is willing to look past the surface elements - i.e. the mundane basics of the plot, character like-ability & what you feel you're OWED as a fan - then there's a very good chance that 3.0 + 1.0 will be the best thing Eva since the original series ended in 1997.

I think the new title - 3.0 + 1.0 - signifies that the last two Rebuild films need to be considered as one chapter in the Evangelion universe but I feel that's going to tie more into the human elements of the story. Shinji's arch as a character & how he will cope with the death of Kaworu & potentially reenacting or brining closure to his relationships with Asuka & Misato. What I am certain of is 3.0 + 1.0 is NOT going to be "Here's all the missing background plot bullshit that happened during the 14 years between the 2nd & 3rd films so now you can rest happy knowing what happened to Evangelion Unit 07 or 10 or whatever".

I can't wait.

(BUT I can wait for Khara, Anno & Co to release information about the final film when they're ready too. I don't view the recent non-trailer airing as a case of trolling).

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Dude, we weren’t even promised a new preview/trailer/whatever. We just assumed that we would get one. If anyone was disappointed in the lack of one, it was their own fault.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:50 pm

Does 3.0+1.0 (that title is ANNOying as fuck to type) have a chance?

In terms of a unique cinematic experience, probably not. Everything in the NTE series so far, as well as Anno's own interviews point to him wanting to streamline the story of Evangelion and make it more like a "tale" and less like a transcendent experience to be analyzed and obsessed over. Besides, he's already made EOE, so anything in that sort of vein would only be derivative.

Then again, we're talking about the master here who has something of a great talent for doing things that NO ONE sees coming, (i.e. the timeskip, changing Yui and Asuka's surnames, that fucking 3.0+1.0 title) so it's very possible that the final film could be as unique a film experience as EOE was, but it's a slim possibility that that sort of lightning could ever strike twice.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:47 am

^ Yeah, a lot of it depends on what you’re giving it a “chance” to do. Simply because these movies aren’t as unique of a cinematic experience as NGE and EoE were, that doesn’t mean something amazing and truly unexpected can’t be placed in there. Subversion of narrative expectations isn’t the same creating a unique cinematic experience. You can have a unique cinematic film, using unconventional cinematography and editing techniques, and still follow every narrative trope in the book. Or you can subvert a lot of narrative tropes while using more conventional film techniques to do so.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:06 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Dude, we weren’t even promised a new preview/trailer/whatever. We just assumed that we would get one. If anyone was disappointed in the lack of one, it was their own fault.

日本テレビ系列 金曜ロードSHOW!
8月22日
『ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序 TV版』
8月29日
『ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:破 TV版』
9月5日
『ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:Q 』+『巨神兵東京に現る 劇場版』

They definitely made it seem like something important. Miscommunication between Anno and the marketing department or deliberate troll? Who knows. I don't really care. Anno should be invested in the movie, that's what I care about.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:14 am

The part in bold is the Giant God Warriors Attacks Tokyo short movie, they really didn't promised us a new preview, just hyped us for 3.0 screening on TV.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:23 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:The part in bold is the Giant God Warriors Attacks Tokyo short movie, they really didn't promised us a new preview, just hyped us for 3.0 screening on TV.

[url]http://www.ntv.co.jp/kinro/[/url]
I just checked there, it's the same kanji and I was incredibly stupid...
Wow, it was just us hyping it up. I prefer it that way. It would have been too big a troll by Anno.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”