Ghosts of Evangelion

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:50 pm

So, what, it should be the 14th? Meh, whatevs.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:40 pm

...or Feb 14th. Worst Valentine's Day ever. :lol:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:13 pm

Heh, well I'll leave it to you folks to figure out the appropriate date. My primary interest is the characterization, and that aspect of the scene worked well for me. Good job, Bagheera!

:asuka_thumbsup:
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:30 pm

I wasn't planning to do anything with Kaji for a long while. I was planning to work on Fuyutsuki, and O-ki-na-wa!, and had the latter worked out to something like ten scenes. But today, Kaji showed up and laid a hand on my shoulder and said, "Hey, how 'bout this?" Thankfully, he didn't try to seduce me.

Enjoy!

SPOILER: Show
March 6, 2021
"Asuka, come on, open the door!" Misato called, banging on the apartment door for the third time. She turned to her companion. "What the devil is that girl doing? It's the middle of the afternoon, and I know she's here."
Ryoji Kaji rocked back on his heels, a bemused smile on his face. "Um, Katsuragi . . . do you think maybe--"
Asuka opened the door, a scowl marring her pretty face. Her hair was wet, and she held a towel in front of her. "Jeez, Misato, what do you want?" she demanded. "I was in the--"
She broke off, her eyes wide as saucers when she realized who was standing by Misato. With a shriek of embarrassment she slammed the door in their faces.
"Hmmm, maybe not," Kaji mused. He looked over at Misato. "She's grown up quite nicely, hasn't she?"
Misato scowled. "That's my daughter you're talking about, you lech."
Kaji grinned. "Even so . . . "
"She'll be your daughter too, you know," Misato snapped.
Kaji rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I've always had this fantasy about a stepdaughter . . . "
Misato sighed. "You're disgusting," she said, resigned.
Kaji just gave her a roguish grin and shrugged. Switching gears, he said "Katsuragi. Those scars . . . "
Misato nodded. "Yes," she said.
"They're from piloting?" he asked.
Misato nodded again. "Correct. The Lances, even the replicas, were designed to pierce AT Fields. They left deep scars on the souls of their targets as a result."
"I see," he said, his voice grim.
Further conversation was cut off as the door opened again, this time with Shinji on the other side. He wore pants but no shirt. "Mister Kaji!" he exclaimed, surprise and delight evident in his voice.
"Heya kid!" Kaji said, waving.
"Please come in!" Shinji said. He stood aside, allowing them to enter. He closed the door, then said, "I can make tea if you like . . . no, you prefer coffee, don't you? Is the canned stuff alright?"
Kaji laughed. "That's fine," he said.
After Shinji had gotten them their drinks Misato looked around, finding no sign of Asuka. "Asuka?" she called.
A petulant whine from the direction of Shinji's bedroom was her only response.
"Come on out, sweetie," Misato asked.
Another whine.
Misato scowled. "Asuka Langley Soryu, get out here this instant!"
It took a few moments, but Asuka eventually appeared, clad in one of Shinji's shirts and little else. She was beet red, and wouldn't meet anyone's eyes.
Misato smiled. "That's better," she said.
Kaji smiled at the younger woman. "Heya kitten," he said. He eyed her up and down, then gave an appreciative whistle. "Wow," he said, "you've really grown up."
Asuka squeaked, retreating behind Shinji.
Misato scowled at Kaji. "I'm sitting right here, you know."
Kaji laughed. "Sorry, sorry," he said, waving his hand dismissively. "But still," he went on, turning back to Asuka, "we should get caught up sometime. I know this nice place downtown . . . "
Shinji glowered at him. "Mister Kaji, she's mine," he said.
Asuka slapped his shoulder, but that didn't stop her from biting her lip to cover a small smile.
Kaji glanced from one to the other, then smiled broadly. "So it seems," he said, nodding. "That's good," he went on. "I'm very happy for the both of you. Back then, things were so chaotic . . . I was very worried about you two." He scratched the back of his head. "I guess we didn't do a very good job of protecting you." He looked at Misato. "That was our responsibility, and yet we were so concerned with finding the truth, and defending the world, that I guess we forgot about you kids in the process. I hope you can forgive us for that."
"It's okay sir," Shinji said. "We understand."
Kaji smiled, a sad smile. He kept his gaze fixed on Asuka. She seemed very subdued, and not because of her earlier embarrassment. "I'd like to make it up to you," he said. "If you'll give me the chance, that is."
Asuka looked at him, not quite meeting his eyes. After a moment she nodded, once.
Kaji sighed in relief. "Okay, good," he said. "That's the hard part done, anyway." He glanced at Misato. "Now what should we . . . uh oh."
She was making a choking motion with her hands. "Do you know how long I had to work to get that much out of her?" she growled. "Years, man! Two stinking years! And here you just waltz in and . . . argh!"
Kaji held up a hand in a calming gesture. "Come on now, Katsuragi," he said. "Calm down."
Shinji nodded. "Mister Kaji's right, Miss Misato. Asuka's a lot better now, and--"
"Oh, shut up," Misato seethed. "He's still benefiting from all of our hard work." She nodded to herself, affirming her own claims. "Lazy bum! Just sit around in the ocean while the rest of us do all the important stuff, then show up later with that stupid grin . . . " She was on the verge of tears.
Kaji smiled at her, a genuine smile. "Sorry, Katsuragi," he said. "I wish--"
"It's 'Misato'," Asuka interrupted.
Kaji and Misato both looked her way, surprised. "Pardon?" Kaji asked.
"Her name. It's Misato." She looked from one to the other, at the confused expressions on their faces. "You're fucking, right?" Kaji and Misato looked at one another, the latter blushing furiously. "You're in a relationship, right?"
"Well . . . " Kaji began.
"So you're Ryoji, and she's Misato," Asuka explained. "That's how it works, right?"
"Um . . . well . . . " Kaji laughed nervously.
"So stop stonewalling and take responsibility already," Asuka said, weariness in her voice.
"Heh." Kaji coughed, then glanced at Misato. "She's way too clever, that one," he said, indicating Asuka.
Misato smiled. "Yes," she said, thoughtful. "Yes, she is."
Kaji sighed. "I suppose she's right." He squared his shoulders, facing Misato head-on. "Alright then," he said, extending his hand. "Misato."
Misato took his hand, smiling happily. "Ryoji," she said.
Kaji smiled at her for a moment, then turned to the kids. "Well, I guess we've taken up enough of your time," he said. "See you later, I hope?"
Shinji nodded. "Sure!" he said.
Asuka shrugged.
Kaji preceded Misato out the door. Before she left she took Asuka in her arms, giving her a fierce hug. "Thank you," she whispered.
Asuka squirmed in Misato's embrace. "Whatever," she mumbled.
Misato ruffled the girl's hair, then joined Kaji outside.
Shinji shut the door, then turned to Asuka.
"Not one word, Third Child," she growled. She headed back to Shinji's bedroom. Shinji stayed put for a moment, bemused. He wasn't quite sure what to do, until Asuka shouted, "Get in here, you idiot!"
Shinji hurried to comply.

Kaji frowned as Misato closed the door to Shinji's apartment, joining him outside. "Katsu--" He caught himself. "Uh, Misato," he said awkwardly.
She gave him a resigned smile. "You can stick with 'Katsuragi'," she said. "Save the other for when you really mean it."
He held up his hands. "It's not that--"
"I know," she said, touching his arm. "Things are different for us. It's fine."
Kaji sighed with relief. "Okay," he said, offering her a lopsided grin. "Sorry, Katsuragi."
She smiled sadly, taking his arm in hers as they headed back to her apartment. "Anyway," she said, "what is it?"
He nodded, the mask back in place. "The Children," he said. "I don't understand their relationship."
"Oh?" Misato asked.
"She was wearing his shirt," Kaji noted, "and he made it clear they were together, and yet . . . " he trailed off. "I dunno, something just feels off."
She nodded. "Yes, that's true. They're very close, but they're not sleeping together." She frowned. "Or rather, they are sleeping together, but only in the most literal sense of the term. Physical intimacy is difficult for them, but they are very close emotionally."
"I see," Kaji said. He laughed ruefully. "The reverse of us, then."
Misato smiled sadly. "Yes," she said, "I suppose so."
Kaji turned to her, catching her tone. "Sorry, Katsuragi. I didn't mean--"
She shook her head. "No," she said, "it's fine. Don't worry about it."
Kaji sighed and slumped a bit, but let it go. Misato took his arm in hers and led him down the hallway to her apartment. She guided him inside, and then closed the door behind them.
Last edited by Bagheera on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 10 times in total.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:51 pm

OHHHHHH NOOOO!!!!!!!

:glomp: :jiggy: :pointup: :pirate:

I knew this would come! I knew it! Hopefully this isn't a dream or some sort of brainfuck.
So you actully believe he would come back?

And btw. sry that i didn't wrote another "review" for this magnificant work. If the fic is finished i'll take some time. Good work - and keep it up! :wink:
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:19 pm

Apparently, not even SCHOOL could keep my away from reviewing this marvel. :lol: So yet again, I return.

And, I LOVE that Kaji finally returned, and now Misato has more stability in her life, and less things to feel regretful about. That's what I personally hope to happen in the upcoming chapters, where Misato truly tries to reaffirm her love of Kaji and how she felt she lost something truly wonderful in her life because of his death. And hopefully, we can get some insight into Kaji's experience through the whole ordeal. We haven't seen much of the guy. :)

And Kaji actually taking responsibility for his actions and trying to make up for all the pain, it's really not a story-arc that I've seen in a lot of fanfics, at least none that I can remember at the top of my head. So, hopefully, this will create a lot of arcs for every character, such as Misato reaffirming her love for him, Asuka learning to let go and accept him as a good friend/mentor, and Shinji the same. Hopefully, for him and Misato, he can apologize that he wasn't there when she grieved for him. Poor guy didn't even know what to do.

But one thing that really stands out to me personally, is Shinji finally standing up and taking what he's earned. He's finally gotten a solidified spine. YOU GO LITTLE MAN! :jiggy:

There is one TINY nitpick I would like to ask about, and it's probably nothing and more based on my own personal views. But one thing that kind of griped me was Asuka's term of "fucking" to refer to the act. From what I've experienced at least, that term of "fucking" usually refers to having sex with no emotional attachment whatsoever, just for the selfish pleasure of both sides. Almost too derogatory, at least from what I've heard. I would think that through everything Asuka has gone through, she would place such a derogatory definition on the act when she's emotionally close to Shinji, and even when referring to Misato and Kaji considering what THEY have been through. I mean, I know it's Asuka and her trying to be an "adult", but that seems kind of harsh...,but then again, I can understand how they aren't exactly ready to call it "making love" just yet. Again, it's probably just me nitpicking based my own views of it, but those are my two cents.

Overall, a great chapter Bags. Great job in keeping up with it so far. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:00 pm

Aww yeah, Kaji's back! I loved this installment. The mixture of humor and seriousness was enjoyable, and overall the scene was touching without being too sappy. I got a kick out of Misato going into mother mode ("Asuka Langley Soryu, get out here this instant!"), and Shinji glowering at Kaji's flirting. It was also a relief to know that Kaji was just testing... and Shinji passed, so yay! Kaji's apology was good, and I really liked that Asuka was the one who helped to nudge Misato and Kaji's relationship in the right direction.

Great work, Bagheera! Two thumbs up!

:thumbsup: :asuka_thumbsup: :kaworusparkle:

...Oh wait, three thumbs up. Gotta love the new emoticons.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 am

Eh, "fucking" makes perfect sense as Asuka is all rilled up with embarrassment (and frustration), thus returning to her common need to lash out a little bit.

But honestly... WTF Kaji? I know the man is a shameless flirt and that he's just kidding around, but come on dude, seriously.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:42 am

^ Well, I know people like that - but I don't admire them as much as I thought I admired Kaji! Still, I can accept it as being in character even if insensitive.

Otherwise it flows beautifully, but for one thing - Asuka opening the door naked in the first place. Surely she (they) would either have ignored it altogether, or she would have grabbed something to drape over herself at the door? Asuka's use of "fucking" is entirely appropriate, I'd say - what other term could she use that's as brief as is obviously required at that point?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:03 am

When I do my edits I'm going to be tweaking Kaji's come-ons a bit, both to make them less douchy and to indicate he's not just being a flirt -- he's trying to gauge where she's at now, and how things have progressed between the kids. That doesn't quite come across in the draft version.

First two scenes of O-ki-na-wa! are done. I'll be posting them later today, and possibly some others as well. Poor Fuyu didn't get any love this weekend, more's the pity; hopefully that'll change next week.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:22 am

I thought the intended humour of the come-ons was completely evident, I don't really see any reason to change them and don't think they were over stepping any line, given what we know of Kaji.

I did think it odd that she should come to the door naked--given the anime source I can see it in the same vein though--but her going to tell whoever may have been at the door that her and Shinji are "fucking" doesn't seem likely of her, even if it was "having sex", "shagging" or however else you might phrase it; it didn't seem like something she would announce. Perhaps "I'm busy with Shinji" or something along that line would have got the implication across without betraying her (I also think it makes it sound like she's using him more than enjoying it herself, even if she is, as would be characteristic).

The other instance of her saying "fucking" seems to work, I think.

As always, just my thought on the matter.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:27 am

Eh, I missed "shagging" as a possibility for the first one - it works better in my mind because it has less baggage.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:52 am

Edits for the last chapter are up. Okinawa beach vacation incoming!

On a side note, does anyone outside of Britain even say "shagging" if they're not making an Austin Powers reference? Ah well, either way. I agree that the second instance is a bit too coarse even for Asuka; it's something she would have said three years ago, but at this point she's mellowed out enough that she's not as antagonistic toward Misato as she used to be (well, she was at the beginning, because she was frustrated, which is why I'm leaving that part alone). So I changed it to "you're having sex, right?" which works just as well IMO.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Okay! Parts 1 and 2 of O-ki-na-wa! Nothing momentous here, it's all setup. But hopefully it's enjoyable! Please let me know what you think!

July 23, 2021
Asuka slurped down the last of her ramen and threw the takeout container in the garbage. "Thanks for bringing me lunch, Shinji," she said.
Shinji smiled at her. "No problem," he said. "I know you've been working hard."
She grimaced. "Don't remind me. I don't know how I let Misato talk me into this; grad school really sucks."
Shinji shrugged. "It's not her fault you're a genius," he said mildly.
She stuck out her tongue, earning her a laugh. Both looked up when they heard a knock on the door.
"Speak of the devil," Asuka said. "What's up, Misato?"
Colonel Katsuragi entered the office, a broad grin on her face. "Heya kids!" she beamed. "I have a surprise for you!" She tapped on her smartphone, then held it toward them, brandishing it proudly. "Ta-da! Tickets for two to O-ki-na-wa!"
"Really?" Shinji said, excitement in his voice. "That's great! Thanks Misato!"
Misato grinned proudly. "I remembered that you two were forced to miss your class trip back when you were piloting, so I thought I'd make it up to you." She turned toward Asuka. "What do you think?"
Asuka made a face. "Pass."
Misato reared back in shock. "Whaaaaaat? But you were furious when you missed it before . . . "
Asuka pulled up her shirt, revealing the scars covering her belly. "I didn't have these before," she said. "And I didn't have to worry about being recognized by someone with an axe to grind, either. No thanks!"
Misato held up a hand, urging calm. "Now Asuka, keep an open mind. There's no need to be a stick in the mud."
Shinji nodded. "Yeah. Besides, that's my job."
Asuka scowled at him. "You're supposed to be on my side," she grumped.
Shinji crossed his arms, sticking out his chin. "Not when you're set on hiding out, I'm not. That's silly, and you shouldn't think like that."
Asuka rolled her eyes. "It's reality, you moron."
Misato shook her head. "Not necessarily," she began. "You'll need a new swimsuit anyway, since you've grown a good twenty centimeters since you last wore one. We'll get you a one-piece so you won't have to feel self-conscious."
Asuka scoffed at her. "That doesn't do anything about my arm," she pointed out. "Or my eye."
Misato crossed her arms, giving Asuka a lopsided grin. "Trust me, Asuka," she said mildly, "when you're decked out in a sexy swimsuit no one's gonna notice your arm." She turned to Shinji. "Right Shinji?"
"Yeah," Shinji said, nodding. He had a faraway look in his eyes. Asuka glared at him and smacked the back of his head. "Stop ogling me," she spat.
"Ow!" He rubbed his head gingerly, giving her an aggrieved look. "I wasn't!"
"You were thinking about it," she grumbled.
Shinji just sighed.
Misato laughed at their antics. "It gets better," she went on. "I booked you in to a hotel on Senega island, which has hot springs with . . . " she paused dramatically. " . . . mixed bathing!"
Asuka blanched. "You gotta be kidding me," she squeaked.
Misato shook her head, grinning shamelessly. "Nope! It's very romantic, and very tasteful. And, most importantly," she said, holding up a finger, "it's very relaxed. I hear it's quite therapeutic."
Shinji nudged Asuka. "That does fit in line with our therapy goals, you know," he said pointedly.
Asuka scowled at him. "You just want an excuse to ogle me," she grumbled.
He nodded sagely. "Yes. I do."
"Oh my god!" she exclaimed, incredulous. "You admit it?"
He rolled his eyes. "I'm your boyfriend, Asuka. I'm supposed to enjoy looking at you."
Misato snickered. Asuka shot her a frosty glare, then asked, "what about security and such?"
Misato nodded. "I've already made the arrangements," she explained. "There will be two Section 2 agents stationed at the hotel, and they'll keep a low profile. You won't even know they're there."
Asuka snorted. "Yeah, right." She looked at Shinji. His eyes were big and round, full of hope and pleading. She sighed, rubbing her eyes with one hand. "Fine," she said. "We can go."
Misato and Shinji both cheered.
Asuka stabbed a finger toward Misato. "But you're buying me that new swimsuit," she grumbled.
Misato nodded. "Yes, yes, that's fine," she said.

Asuka followed Misato into the swimwear shop, thinking perhaps about the last time she'd been in such a place. She grimaced as she looked around. "This is a bad idea," she mumbled.
Misato gave her a reassuring smile and she started looking through swimsuits. "It will be fine," she said. "You'll see. Shinji will show you a good time when you get there. He's grown up a lot lately -- give him some credit."
"Tch," Asuka said. "He's not the problem."
"That's enough of that," Misato said. She held up a suit. "How 'bout this one?"
Asuka wrinkled her nose in distaste. "Boring."
Misato arched an eyebrow. She grabbed another suit. "This one?"
Asuka shook her head. "It's supposed to cover me up, not expose me."
Misato gave her a wicked grin. "This one, then?"
Asuka's eyes went wide. "That . . . that doesn't even have a back!"
Misato laughed. "Sure it does," she said. "It's just a thong."
"That's not a back!" Asuka said, shuddering.
And so it went. Suit after suit was rejected, most because they were "boring" but many on account of coverage (or lack thereof). With two dozen suits down, Misato sighed in exasperation. "Man, Shinji really has his work cut out for him. I know you've been through a lot, but you've gotten really uptight these past few years."
Asuka glowered at her. "It's not like I don't know that," she bit out. "But you should understand how I feel!" she protested. "You have one too!"
Misato shrugged. "Anyone looking my way was always too distracted to focus on my scar. It's never really come up."
Asuka flushed. "Yeah, well, some of us aren't so lucky."
Misato stared at her. "Do you really believe that?" she asked.
Asuka shrugged.
Misato sighed sadly. It seemed kind words weren't going to do the trick. "Well, hopefully Shinji can convince you otherwise. He really--" She stopped, her eyes lighting up. "Oh wow," she said. "That's perfect!"
Asuka followed her gaze, and saw a one-piece turtleneck suit. The legs were cut high, and the front and back were both solid. The best part, though, was the color -- red with white trim.
"You have got to try that on," Misato said.
"But--" Asuka protested.
"No buts," Misato interrupted, voice firm. "That will look great on you, trust me."
Asuka frowned, but grabbed the suit and headed for a fitting room. When she emerged she was tugging at the material above her legs. "It's cut too high," she whined, "and it doesn't cover my ass."
Misato rolled her eyes. "Don't be such a prude, Asuka. You have a great ass, it wouldn't hurt you to show it off a little." She zipped up the suit and guided Asuka to a position in front of a mirror. Her face broke into a broad smile when she saw the girl's reflection. "I knew it," she said triumphantly. "You look great!"
Asuka frowned in concentration, studying her reflection. After a few moments she nodded, satisfied. "I do like the cut of it," she said. "And it does make my legs look good." She nodded again. "Yeah, this one's good. I'll take it."
Misato nodded. "Great! Go get changed and we'll head home."
When Asuka returned, suit in hand, Misato checked the price tag. "12,500 yen?" she whined. "You gotta be kidding me!" She glowered at Asuka. "You have expensive taste, kiddo."
Asuka shrugged. "Don't blame me," she quipped. "You're the one who found it. All I gotta do is look good in it."
Misato laughed. "Well, you're doing your job, then." She sighed as they headed toward the register. "I just hope Shinji appreciates it."
Last edited by Bagheera on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:41 pm

And some familiar faces! More on this date later, but I'm tired and drunk now so it will have to wait 'til tomorrow:

August 14, 2021
"Hurry up, Asuka!" Misato called. "Takao and Nagara will be here any minute!"
Asuka exited Shinji's room, tying her hair in a ponytail as she went. "I'm coming, I'm coming," she groused. She watched as Misato piled their luggage by the door. "I still don't get why you aren't coming with us," she mused.
Misato smiled brightly. "This is a couples vacation!" she explained. "No sense in me being a third wheel, and it's not like I want to sit around watching other people have fun all day!" Her smile was full of false cheer.
"I really hope Kaji comes back at some point," Shinji said, his voice a low whisper. "This is just depressing."
"I know, right?" Asuka whispered back. "I mean seriously."
Their whispering was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell. Misato opened the door, revealing a hulking man and a woman of Indian descent on the other side. "Ah, right on time!" she chirped.
The man waved. "Hiya kids," he said, perhaps a bit uncomfortably.
The children eyed their escorts warily. "Don't worry," Misato said, a reassuring note in her voice. "These aren't your run of the mill Section 2 agents. Both were good friends with Mr. Kaji! These are Koji Takao and Sumire Nagara! Please make them feel welcome."
Shinji visibly relaxed upon hearing Misato's words. "You knew Mr. Kaji?" he asked.
Takao nodded. "Yes, we've worked together in the past. Good man."
Nagara smirked. "In more ways than one." Misato glared at her, and she shrugged.
Asuka frowned. "Neither of you looks particularly Japanese. You kind of stand out."
Misato laughed, somewhat nervously. "Asuka, be polite."
Nagara waved a hand dismissively. "It's fine," she said. "It's a legitimate question." She turned toward Asuka. "Actually, considering the location, that's an asset," she noted. "Okinawa gets a lot of tourism throughout the Indo-Pacific region, so we'll fit in better than pure Japanese would." She gave Asuka a wry smile. "Same as you, far as that goes."
Asuka flushed, but didn't press the point.
Misato clapped her hands nervously. "Well then, with the introductions out of the way, let's get started!"
Takao and Nagara grabbed the kids' luggage, and the group proceeded downstairs. As they went, Asuka's curiosity got the best of her. "So," she asked Nagara, "are you and Takao . . . ?"
Nagara didn't miss a beat. "Not at this time," she said. She didn't elaborate.
Asuka stifled a snicker. She decided she and this Nagara woman were going to get along just fine.

Asuka dozed in her seat, the fingers of her hand loosely twined with Shinji's. Shinji looked out the airplane's window, marveling at the great blue expanse beneath them. They were perhaps an hour away from Okinawa island, where they would switch planes before heading to Senega airport. Nagara and Takao sat across the aisle, he following Asuka's example while she read a magazine.
It wasn't long before Asuka started to dream. "Mama," she whimpered. "Please look at me. Please don't . . . " she trailed off, then whimpered again.
Nagara looked up from her magazine, struck by the pain in the girl's voice. "Mr. Ikari," she said, her voice subdued, "should we wake her?"
Shinji shook his head. His jaw was clenched, and while he continued to look out the window he no longer seemed interested in the scenery. "It's worse if she wakes up in the middle of it," he said softly. "It's best to let her sleep. She'll be grumpy when she wakes up, but the dream won't be fresh in her mind."
Nagara frowned, unconvinced. But she ultimately shrugged and returned to reading her magazine.

"Oh my god," Asuka exclaimed, outrage in her voice.
They were unpacking, having just settled into their hotel room. "What is it?" Shinji asked, concerned.
Asuka held a fistful of material. "This!" she snarled. "How the fuck did this end up in my bag?"
Shinji struggled to see what she had in hand. "Um . . . " he began.
Asuka huffed in annoyance. "This, you idiot!" she said, holding the material in front of him. It included a zipper front bikini top, coupled with a thong bikini bottom.
Shinji blushed furiously. "That . . . " he stammered. "I didn't have anything to do with that!" he said.
Asuka stared at him contemptuously. "Of course you didn't," she said. "You wouldn't have the nerve."
Shinji flinched, but was unable to deny the extreme justice of Asuka's comment.
"This is Misato's work," the girl went on, "I'm sure of it. She had our bags this morning, remember? She obviously stuck it in when I was getting ready."
"Well . . . " Shinji began, trying to be diplomatic, "even if that's true, why would she do that?"
Asuka snorted. "Because she thinks I'm a prude," she said. "She thinks I need to 'branch out'." She said the last using scare quotes.
Shinji thought a moment. "Oh." He licked his lips, then said "Well . . . "
Asuka just stared at him. "Don't even think it, idiot. Not even in your dreams."
Shinji laughed nervously. "Sorry," he said.
Asuka sighed. "Stop apologizing, you moron." She threw the outfit into her bag, then retrieved another. "Let's just hit the beach."
Shinji nodded, grabbing his swim trunks. "Okay," he said, "Ready to go."

Asuka exited the bathroom stall, duffel bag in hand. She headed toward Nagara, then turned so the woman could zip up her suit.
"That's a great suit," Nagara said, zipping up her suit, "and you wear it well. You have excellent taste."
Asuka's cheeks colored a little. "Thanks," she mumbled.
Nagara smirked. "I can see Takao and I will have our hands full," she mused. "You'll be getting all sorts of attention wearing that."
Asuka scowled. "Whaaaaaaat?" she whined. "It doesn't even show any skin!"
Nagara chuckled. "Doesn't matter. It's stylish, and you're wearing it. Quite frankly you could make a canvas bag look good, and this is a hell of a lot more than that."
"Tch," Asuka said. "Did Misato pay you to say that?"
Nagara stared at her, genuinely surprised. "Of course not," she said. "Why would she have to? It's obvious to anyone who's looking."
Asuka held up her right hand. "I'm not stupid, you know," she spat.
Nagara snorted. "Miss Soryu, look in the mirror," she said, turning Asuka so she could see her reflection. "Do you honestly think anyone will care about a few scars when they get a look at that body?"
Asuka colored again. "Well . . . " she hedged.
Nagara sighed. "Trust me," she said, "we'll be busy." She smirked. "I just hope we don't have to fend off Mr. Ikari. That could get awkward."
Asuka scowled. "He doesn't have the nerve," she muttered.
Nagara raised an eyebrow. "Oh?" she asked.
"Trust me," Asuka spat, "bitter experience speaking here."
Nagara hummed. "Well, I suppose we'll see," she said.

Shinji and Takao were waiting for the girls outside the bathroom. When they emerged, their reaction was both unmistakable and immediate.
Takao let out a low whistle at the sight of her. Shinji, for his part, just stared, slack-jawed. Nagara rolled her eyes at the both of them.
Asuka glared at Shinji. "Oh, come on," she spat. "At least pretend you're an adult."
Shinji blinked, then shook his head. "Come on, Asuka," he said. "You're not fighting fair."
Asuka stomped her foot, hands on hips. "I am so!" she protested. "It doesn't show any skin at all!"
Shinji gave her a weak smile. "But it's cool, and it's red, and those legs . . ."
Asuka rolled her eyes. "You're pathetic," she said, her voice full of contempt.
Shinji shrugged. "I can't help it," he said. "You're beautiful."
Asuka flushed, then stabbed a hand toward the water. "Beach," she said. "Now."
Shinji headed for the water.

"There's something I've noticed," Nagara mused. They were sitting at a picnic table, she and Takao, watching the Children as they played on the beach.
"What's that?" Takao asked.
"These kids are . . . I'm not quite sure how to put it," she said. "There's an odd heaviness about them."
Takao nodded in agreement. "I've noticed that as well," he said. "There's no passion or ambition in anything they do. It's as though just getting by takes all of their energy."
"Perhaps it does," Nagara mused.
"Mmm?" he asked.
"Well," she went on, "if I understand it right, they're both suffering from some pretty severe PTSD. So maybe this is the best they can manage."
Takao shrugged. "Maybe so," he agreed. "But I don't think they've given up just yet."
"What do you mean?" Nagara asked.
"Have you noticed how she poses for him?" he asked. "She knows how that suit affects him, and every now and then she'll give him just enough of a look at her ass to keep his attention. If he's obvious about looking she'll lay into him, but if he's subtle she'll let him look as long as he likes. And, surprisingly, he's usually pretty good about being subtle."
Nagara nodded, smiling. "Yeah, I caught that. She wants him to look at her, but she doesn't want to feel like a piece of meat. I can relate," she added, rather pointedly.
Takao held up his hands. "Hey now, don't start with that," he grumbled.
She laughed. "Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean anything by it."
Takao relaxed, mollified. "Anyway . . . didn't they say something about going to that IEA facility tomorrow?"
"Yes, that was my understanding," Nagara said, nodding. She smirked. "It should be amusing to watch them go through the decontamination procedures."
"Heh. That's a pretty big facility, isn't it?" he asked.
Nagara nodded. "Yeah, seems so. It sounds amazing; they're apparently doing a lot of work to restore all sorts of animals lost in the Impacts, and to restore the world's oceans as well. It's a huge project."
"Hmmm," Takao mused. "Does that tie in with Ikari's work at all?"
Nagara shook her head. "The way I understand it, the project has U.N. funding but is administered by the Japanese government, and by Okinawa prefecture specifically. Herz is a major backer, but they are not directly involved."
"Ah. Well, that should be interesting for him, then," Takao said.
Nagara nodded. "Yeah. Hopefully it'll get him to stop moping so much," she groused. She turned to watch the Children as they continued tossing a frisbee back and forth. "Though it's not like staring at her isn't already helping with that!"
Last edited by Bagheera on Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:40 am, edited 13 times in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:13 pm

...familiar? Should I know these people?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:18 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:...familiar? Should I know these people?

Well, if you watched Q . . .

. . . no, this is not connected to the NTE. I just like doing callbacks, same as Anno. Well, call forwards in this case, I guess, but whatever.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:25 pm

Part 1 was cute, although also a little bittersweet because Asuka being self-conscious about her scars made me sad. I'm glad they found a swimsuit that she likes... and I'm sure Shinji will really like it. :D

As for Part 2... well now, I wasn't expecting those two to show up! I don't really mind, though. If Mana Kirishima can show up in more than one continuity, why not these guys? (Besides, I'd take Nagara over Mana any day! You misspelled Nagara's name as "Nagata" a few times, though.)

Overall, nice setup so far. Can't wait to see where it goes!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:30 pm

More like six times . . . jeez, how embarrassing! :blush: Fixed now . . . I hope.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:33 pm

Bah, I don't know them by name.

Return to “Fanfiction”