Who here reads Stephen King?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Who here reads Stephen King?

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Like the title says, who here is a fan of Stephen King? I've read Firestarter, Dreamcatcher, The Tommyknockers, Under The Dome, Blockade Billy, Desperation, Gerald's Game, Duma Key, Joyland, Black House, From a Buick 8, 'Salem's Lot, Christine, 11/22/63, The Eyes Of The Dragon, It, and the entire Dark Tower series.
Overall, I have to say that he's at his best when he's writing things other than horror stories. My favorite works by him tend to be in the science fiction and fantasy genres.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:16 pm

You need to go and read The Stand.
Quickly now.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:25 pm

I've read The Dead Zone, The Shining, Misery, and IT.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:You need to go and read The Stand.
Quickly now.

But The Stand is my favorite by far.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Not quite a Constant Reader.... but I enjoyed The Bachmann Books when I was still in school. Had to buy a well-thumbed second hand copy to get all four stories because it seemed someone had taken one of them too literally.

I read all of The Dark Tower series and loved it for being a fantasy novel that wasn't about fucking wizards and elves, but having a proper, desolate and intriguing worldbuilding behind it.

My copy of The Stand however, was left unfinished on the back seat of a No. 19 bus....
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:03 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:You need to go and read The Stand.
Quickly now.

I have read that. Wasn't a big fan though, because I thought it was just too anti-intellectual.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Different Seasons is a favorite of mine. I'm unlikely to read any of his stuff soon but I have been meaning to find a copy of The Stand for a while.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:45 pm

It's an appropriate time to start reading it, what with the Ebola outbreak and such.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Outside of the Dark Tower series, I haven't read much of his fiction. The only book of his I actually own is On Writing.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:05 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:It's an appropriate time to start reading it, what with the Ebola outbreak and such.

Ordinarily, I'd say the opposite.

Stephen King is great—and not just as a writer; he also has amazing insights into life and art that have personally affected me. Try On Writing sometime.

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:09 am

I decided to read The Green Mile before watching the movie, and ohmygoodness was it rewarding. It wrapped up a little better in my opinion, despite the movie being great.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:59 am

After I saw that movie I remember I sat down and figured out

SPOILER: Show
how long Edgecomb would live, assuming that the extension of his life scaled to the extension of Mister Jingles' life. Given the average lifespan of a mouse, Paul could live for anywhere from 4,000 to 8,000 years. Even if the extra life he was given just adds extra years instead of multiplying his lifespan he's easily looking at another hundred years to go.

Kinda freaked me out.

Also ties into how all of King's books are centered around the horror inherent in nostalgia. They're all about losing touch with some past golden age or treasured relationships.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:33 am

That's one of his greatest strengths, I feel: the ability to pull horror and cosmic implication out of the most mundane things.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:31 am

Just finished up The Shining within the last week or so. Read The Dead Zone earlier this year as well. The only other King novels I've read are The Stand and The Green Mile, which I read as a kid 15-20 years ago. Plan on reading some more later this year after I read some books by other authors.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:01 am

Not having read every single thing he's ever written, I consider It to be the quintessential King, followed closely by Christine. The Shining falls in with The Tommyknockers, The Dark Half and some of his more personal works focusing on addiction and inner conflict over the violence in his writing. He's a deeply humanist writer and during his most productive and observant period I think he created a string of novels that will catch on and be studied far into the future when some of the more literary stuff favored by his critics has been dismissed as self indulgent.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:41 am

I've always been interested in reading Stephen King's books. Actually, I guess I've been interested in reading more literature in general. But for someone who's only seen snippets of the It mini-series, what would be a good starting point?

It seems that The Stand is his most acclaimed novel, so I'll read that at some point. I'm looking for a book that serves as a good introduction to King, so... It? The Green Mile? Cujo?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:44 am

The Stand is pretty ponderous and, for lack of a better term, very 70's.

I'd begin with a book of his short stories. He's a master of the form. Skeleton Crew would probably be best to start.
the prophecy is true

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:23 am

I only read the first novel of The Bachman Books, which is Rage, the first novel by Stephen King, my cousin owned a copy of the novel in French.

A masterpiece of indoor thriller which masterfully distillate its tension, with a frightening look via flash-backs of the psyche and circumstances that led that high-school boy to snap and take his class hostage.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:30 am

Pet Sematary stands as my favorite novel of his. The movie is also my favorite adaptation of his work.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:30 am

"Betta steer clear of that rahd."
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:49 am

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:Pet Sematary stands as my favorite novel of his. The movie is also my favorite adaptation of his work.

The last line of that book is up there with 1984.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”