Shinji Is (not) Doomed? Discuss.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Whether or not Shinji is doomed is irrelevant. We’re doomed as soon as we step into a theater for FINAL.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:34 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Whether or not Shinji is doomed is irrelevant. We’re doomed as soon as we step into a theater for FINAL.

I sure hope not. That wouldn't be a good way to end a 3 year wait for most Eva fans. (Not including myself).
And well is Shinji doomed, if the 4.0 preview is gonna be relevant, we already have our answer. And if the 4.0 preview isn't then I sure hope Shinji isn't doomed.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:15 am

Again, I really, really hope that Anno doesn't go for a Matrix Revolutions-esque ending here.

Though, it would be cool to see Gendo and Shinji have a conversation and fist-fight like this in the end. Hey, it makes sense.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLnF8rdDD8[/url]
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:56 am

Don't worry, in 2025 Anno could need money for his retirement and we'll get new reason for debate and new ways to make Shinji dumber. The 10 th and 20th anniversary are only appetizers for the 30th. "EVANEGELION THE TRUE NEW THEATRICAL RELEASE"

Merchandise and fanservice, the real loop theory :lol: :lol:
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:28 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Don't worry, in 2025 Anno could need money for his retirement and we'll get new reason for debate and new ways to make Shinji dumber. The 10 th and 20th anniversary are only appetizers for the 30th. "EVANEGELION THE TRUE NEW THEATRICAL RELEASE"

Merchandise and fanservice, the real loop theory :lol: :lol:

Evangelion Shin-Shin Gekijouban, followed by the sequel Shin Evangelion Shin Gekijouban!? XMFD
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:35 am

^^

Yeah, and by this time

this

SPOILER: Show

becomes canon. :facepalm:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:46 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:^^

Yeah, and by this time

this

becomes canon. :facepalm:

And this time Kaworu will die portraying a selfie at the top a cliff instead of Shinji. After that, a new spiral of despair arrives "Why Kaworu had to die? he was so hot!!! Let's start my downhill" I can hear the claps of the future otakus praising Anno
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:01 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Again, I really, really hope that Anno doesn't go for a Matrix Revolutions-esque ending here.

Though, it would be cool to see Gendo and Shinji have a conversation and fist-fight like this in the end. Hey, it makes sense.

Ha, Gendo flies up and tackles Shinji or something, all though Gendo couldn't possibly make the argument above love because he does everything for Yui.

Just something to think about, what if the first two opening shots of 1.0 are the closing shots of 4.0? The ones that people say look oddly enough like the End of Evangelion shots, I surely hope not but it would make sense as to why 4.0 has a repeat symbol. Again I hope not because if it just ends on Shinji somehow resetting the world and it turns the rebuild timeline into a cycle, you know what I'm done. Just done.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:22 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Ha, Gendo flies up and tackles Shinji or something, all though Gendo couldn't possibly make the argument above love because he does everything for Yui.

Just something to think about, what if the first two opening shots of 1.0 are the closing shots of 4.0? The ones that people say look oddly enough like the End of Evangelion shots, I surely hope not but it would make sense as to why 4.0 has a repeat symbol. Again I hope not because if it just ends on Shinji somehow resetting the world and it turns the rebuild timeline into a cycle, you know what I'm done. Just done.

Say my regards to Sadamoto and the manga ending :facepalm:

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:30 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:Say my regards to Sadamoto and the manga ending :facepalm:

Well at least the manga ending isn't a complete re-cycle.

it has Shinji living a normal life, and he meets Asuka on the train and also Kensuke

If it was that type of ending, well Shinji may not be completely doomed. I'd rather an ending with no time manipulation.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:38 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Well at least the manga ending isn't a complete re-cycle.

it has Shinji living a normal life, and he meets Asuka on the train and also Kensuke

If it was that type of ending, well Shinji may not be completely doomed. I'd rather an ending with no time manipulation.

i AGREE, A TOTAL RESET would be shameful. The shittiest cliché amongst cliches.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:32 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:i AGREE, A TOTAL RESET would be shameful. The shittiest cliché amongst cliches.

Very shameful indeed, also it would be even more shameful if Shinji by the end of 4.0 doesn't use his "manhood" I mean come on now if not Asuka or Rei, at least Mari, or a 4-some.

I kid around.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:31 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Very shameful indeed, also it would be even more shameful if Shinji by the end of 4.0 doesn't use his "manhood" I mean come on now if not Asuka or Rei, at least Mari, or a 4-some.

I kid around.

With big "Poka Poka" kanjis as ending credits. And Pen Pen watching the 4-some.

Seriously, after the shitty writing of the manga, that reset ending was too much. The same goes for reincarnations etc.... I hope Anno has more common sense.....oh wait :lol:

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:53 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:With big "Poka Poka" kanjis as ending credits. And Pen Pen watching the 4-some.

Seriously, after the shitty writing of the manga, that reset ending was too much. The same goes for reincarnations etc.... I hope Anno has more common sense.....oh wait :lol:

Who knows Pen-Pen may enjoy seeing 3 girls on top of Shinji, and we all know what Mari would be very good at. :wink: (Also many would open her Bay of Guf, if you know what I'm saying, [thank you Demolition D+]).

On a more serious note-
The manga on the other-hand well I didn't mind seeing another ending to NGE, but to me it is still as ambiguous as the EOE. Plus isn't there more content coming out for the final volume in November?
Between at least you and me Jeager, if the world resets, we can agree Shinji is quite doomed.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:09 am

Check this thread I replied to you in: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/742675/Last-Evangelion-Manga-Volume-Features-New-Character/#742675

Can we please get some Topic in here? Things are a bit too "chatty".
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:17 am

Worth reiterating that there is no evidence of time manipulation anywhere in the franchise. It's entirely a fan-made thing -- it is never used in any iteration of Evangelion anywhere. Even SRW, where Kaworu is aware of the other iterations of the franchise, does not, to my knowledge, involve resets or time manipulation of any sort.

We do not have to worry about it happening. We might have to worry about yet more crappy fanfic using that as a plot device, but Anno is not likely to employ it himself since he has never shown a desire to do so in the past.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:37 am

Supposedly (can't find the source on this ATM) Gainax did take certain elements in NGE from doujin, but I don't know how true that is.

I think the only "time manipulation" we could get is some evidence for or against an NTE-self-contained loop. AFAIC, prequel or sequel theory just isn't possible anymore, but an NTE-loop, maybe. But even then I could only see it happening via Kaworu/whoever showing Shinji evidence of the loop during Instrumentality beginnings. Assuming there's still metaphysical hive-mind goodness whether or not anymore weird FoI shit happens to humanity.

Anyway, I really don't see evidence for Shinji being "doomed" in Final. Regardless of the tone of the ending, and even if some kind of Instrumentality starts up, I think we'll get an implication of humanity--or at least Shinji--living on despite the horrible things that happened throughout NTE.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:31 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Again, I really, really hope that Anno doesn't go for a Matrix Revolutions-esque ending here.

Anno will go for an Anno-esque ending like he always does. These comparisons to other franchises to which Eva really isn't very similar don't make much sense.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”