Was the ADV Dub really THAT bad?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:45 pm

I think it was good not perfect but just good. Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and Misato were perfect IMO. Gendo and Kaji were good too, even though i like the rebuild Kaji way better. The side characters like toji and kensuke were meh and forgettable. The ADV dub had some strong characters, but suffered from poor side characters. What was worst was that the side characters got even worse in EoE and you know who i'm tallking about.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:03 pm

At the time I thought it was one of the best dubs I'd heard. Must have got through some pretty bad ones if the general consensus is that ADV's blows...

I thought the sound quality (voice, not necessarily the rest) there was pretty good and the voices were clear. Can't say I liked all of them or thought they fit every character, but they served. The only one that kinda grated on me was Asuka's VA. I wouldn't fault her performance, but she sounds blatantly adult the moment the decibels rise, which with her is constantly. The ones who have to do a lot of yelling in the Command Centre and such I thought did pretty well getting the info across and sounding perpetually worked up. Fuyutsuki and Gendo were perfect, Misato as well. Kensuke and Toji's were stereotypical but I don't think that irritated since they weren't around that much. Shinji's voice seemed a bit weird to me at first but I got used to it. . .

Rei's voice lacks emotion but I thought that was the point of her. She did totally sound like she could be this awkward dysfunctional girl, with a voice like someone who hasn't talked to another person in years, so it's small and faint. And since she doesn't talk much to anyone, it fits.

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Rei's voice in the anime was much more darker than in rebuilds. She had that depressing sound in her voice that the rebuild Rei doesn't have. The change in Rei's voice actor in the anime to rebuild made the rebuild lose a lot of its original darkness. I remeber the day after i had finished NGE for the first time. The series pretty much fucked me hard and left me kinda down and for like the next couple days i was talking to myself in that quiet Rei voice and questioning myself. Yea evangelion doesn't fuck around.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:35 pm

I like New Rei. Original Gangsta Rei sounds too emotionless now. Rebuild Rei sounds like a lost soul adrift in a world she doesn't understand. Winn Lee's Rei just sounds annoyed by everything.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

NIkkolas
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby NIkkolas » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 pm

I didn't take much note of original dub Rei's voice because I thought "how hard is it to whisper a lot and try not to emote?"

Then I saw Rebuild and I realized it wasn't quite so simple and I wasn't being fair to Ms. Winn-Lee.

I got nothing against Rebuild Rei's VA as Rebuild Rei isn't quite the same character as Anime Rei but I've come to appreciate Ms. Winn-Lee's portrayal more now I have something to compare it to. She gave Rei a more....ethereal? Perhaps "otherworldly" is a better word for it. She gave Rei an air of inhumanity but not in a bad way. it's just that when you looked into Rei's eyes and then heard that voice you knew she wasn't....normal.

My only complaint about Rebuild Rei is that she does in fact sound normal.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:31 am

Rebuild Rei sounding Normal is kind ve the point. She's a Lot more emotional in 2.0 than any previous Incarnations of Rei. She's Blushing for goodness sake!

As for the ADV dub? Yeah I'll admit the first few episodes were cringeworthy, but I'd argue the dub got better as the series went on.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”