Re: Cutie Honey - now complete

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Cutie Honey - now complete

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:07 am

the third and final episode of Re: Cutie Honey aired.

Hideaki Anno is series director, while the final 45-minute episode was co-directed by Anno and Masayuki, who did the ED animation of Evangelion and all the water in End of Evangelion (man's got a thing for animating water).
Last edited by Otaprince on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:55 pm

Is it worth it. Do you have to buy it off the internet to download it?
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:22 pm

I watched the first of these, and then I watched the Cutie Honey live action Raw, and then the fansubbed version. Then I watched the second and third episode.

I enjoyed the first episode a lot. It was like "FLCL, with tits everywhere!". However the problem is that Re:Cutie Honey is just a animated version of the Live Action Movie. And though the OAV are probably better, I wasn't really able to enjoy them to the fullest for the fact that the plot of the two are fundamentally the same. After watching the first episode, the novelty of the sexual humor and fan service are gone, and you're left with something that is just basically the same thing, only in animated format. Presuming you're watching them in response to the LA movie, which is the point if I'm correct, hence the title Re:Cutie Honey.

It was enjoyable, and good example of Gainax's flair, however I'll put five bucks on the table and say that someone if better off only watching ONE of these two works. Perhaps one would enjoy watching the OAV prior to the movie, for the fact that you should have seen Cutie Honey in animation beforehand anyways

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:07 pm

well, it wouldn't be the first Gainax work to be adapted-- Eva, FLCL, Abenobashi were all both anime and manga, with differences in each work.

the Cutie Honey movie, even though it had some sentai trappings, had an ending appropriate for live action films: a very human ending with no major action, explosions, or guns fired. Re: Cutie Honey's ending, on the other hand, is an all-out action extravaganza.

i'm not sure i agree that you should watch only one, nor could i say that one is clearly superior over the other. They are parallel works with different strengths.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:11 pm

I saw the first episode of the Re: Cutie Honey OAV's and it looked quite insane, but tell me; is the live action movie worth downloading?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:30 pm

Does any kind forum user happen to know were I can download a subed version of this? I've tryed my normal sourced and found nothing.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:41 am

?
Last edited by Otaprince on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:34 am

Although I like BT, I have to say it's being used in the wrong way. I think it should be a primary distribution tool, not a generalized one. This is because torrents die over time as they only point to a single person sharing the file, and when that person is gone, gone is the download capability. That's why I support emule for that part. It would be too slow to be a primary distribution tool, but is a lot more effective for secondary distribution. Besides, now that the industry is attacking BT sites, you could end up being sued when the industry settles it's case by offering the last resource to the site's webmaster in exchange for user info and activity on that site, as happened with this now dead BT portal.

And that's why, here are links for Re:Cutie Honey

First download and install Emule.

Second, sign up to AniDB. Without signing up you can't see the ed2k links required to download the file with emule.

Third, go to the Re:Cutie Honey release page, and on the bottom of it click on the plus symbols to open the links for the episodes. Click on the ed2k arrow button and start downloading.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Sectre01
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Sectre01 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:21 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote: It was like "FLCL, with tits everywhere!".

What more could you want? :lol:

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:16 pm

After watching this show I don't think its as good as FLCL but its funny.

Does anyone know if anno actual worked on this or if he just got credit and left things in the hands of his underlings?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:18 pm

i don't have any concrete information, but the three episodes are so different in style, that it seems like each episode director was given wide leeway.

The first episode is episode directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi. He directed the OP animation in full and did the insane fight scenes in FLCL 5, the crazy space episode of Abenobashi (3 or 4, i forget which). He also directed the film Dead Leaves, so if you've seen these other works you'll recognize his style consistently throughout Re: Cutie Honey episode 1.

Episode 2 is directed by Takamichi Ito, a relative unknown. This episode is directed in a very boring manner, completely differently from episode 1. this was a conscious decision to make "a retro-flavored work in the style of old Toei Animation."

How involved was Anno in Re: Cutie Honey? Episode 2 might be the clue-- it is so radically different from 1 and 3 that there doesn't seem to be a guiding voice-- this leads me to conclude that Anno oversaw the story (the ending is a very Anno ending) but mostly left the anime in the hands of the three episode directors.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:22 am

Using the original thread to give my thoughts on this little OVA.

I gave my thoughts on Cutie Honey 2004 when I watched it in 2012 (when watching Anno's other films).

I felt pretty much the same about Re: Cutie Honey. Super colorful, bouncy music, good, campy fun but...

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:It was like "FLCL, with tits everywhere!".

"Sailor Moon, with tits everywhere!" :lol: The influence Cutie Honey had on shows like Sailor Moon is pretty obvious (they're both warriors of love, for one thing). In this take especially, 2 of the villains reminded me of 2 characters in Sailor Moon Sailor Stars but I won't say anymore for those who haven't seen that.

Anno and Gainax's influence is also pretty clear. This and the live action film were my own exposure to Cutie Honey, but I feel it was a good start considering ANN's recent review of the original. Some other good thoughts here.

"Honey Flash!"
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:22 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Anno and Gainax's influence is also pretty clear. This and the live action film were my own exposure to Cutie Honey, but I feel it was a good start considering ANN's recent review of the original. Some other good thoughts here.

I'm pretty sure this is case of Sailor Moon being influenced by Nagai's original manga, actually.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”