[LAEM] Eva movie casting ideas?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:54 pm

OMG HOW DID I NOT THINK OF THIS :bigeyes:

ANTJE TRAUE (man of steel) for Misato!
Image :D

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:54 am

Hashimoto Nanami as Yui/Rei Image
Er... that's all I have for now. I just saw her and thought my god she looks like Yui.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

heavytread
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby heavytread » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:15 pm

Rinko Kikuchi as Rei Ayanami

Ron Pealman as Gendo Ikari

That's all I got in my head.

For those who.don't know who she is Rinko Kikuchi was Mako Mori in Pacific Rim.

EDIT: I did not realize Rinko Kikuchi was in her 30's I thought she was in her mid to late 20's .
Last edited by heavytread on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Ron Perlman is a great actor, but he's wrong for Gendo. He's too large, too stocky, too strong in the face, and too physically imposing. Gendo needs to be a slight guy, someone who looks hungry. Tall is fine, but he needs to be lean.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

astrophys
Embryo

Postby astrophys » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Although Mako's character clearly is meant as a reference to Rei on several points, seeing that Rei is "officially" 14 years old (not really due to the whole cloning thing), she's far too old to play Rei.

Obviously, this changes somewhat if the characters are aged up significantly for an adaptation. But it could still be problematic, as a quick cross-reference to Wikipedia indicates said actress is 33 years old… and most talk we've been having on EvaGeeks about hypothetical age-ups for adaptation have been assuming late teens to early 20s. It could work for some of the ranges in the 20s, maybe, but definitely not for a teenager.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:02 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:

*gapes in awe.*

Incidentally, I would not have guessed 33. Unless that's an old picture.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:20 pm

View Original Postastrophys wrote:Although Mako's character clearly is meant as a reference to Rei on several points, seeing that Rei is "officially" 14 years old (not really due to the whole cloning thing), she's far too old to play Rei.

Obviously, this changes somewhat if the characters are aged up significantly for an adaptation. But it could still be problematic, as a quick cross-reference to Wikipedia indicates said actress is 33 years old… and most talk we've been having on EvaGeeks about hypothetical age-ups for adaptation have been assuming late teens to early 20s. It could work for some of the ranges in the 20s, maybe, but definitely not for a teenager.

To be fair I totally and completely bought Maggie grace as a 16 year old in 2008s taken, and she was 25 at the time and she still looked really young in 2012s taken 2

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:34 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Ron Perlman is a great actor, but he's wrong for Gendo. He's too large, too stocky, too strong in the face, and too physically imposing.

Which is why he's perfect for playing a Hollywood Shinji. Just 10,000% badass hero frontman.

Although to have a suitably older father, Gendo would have to be played by Christopher Lee. Given Gendo is seen sitting down half the time he's on screen it's a perfect role for the aging actor. The Gendo-pose hands might have to be props. Can't risk those 91 year old finger.

Also to roughly match the age differences:
Meryl Streep as Asuka (image the kiss scene)
Meiko Kaji as Rei (2 years off but who cares, she did badass films in the 70s)
Judy Dench as Misato
Morgan Freeman as Kaji (because we won't have room for black Hyuga)

Old people kicking ass is amazing to watch. Kung Fu Hustle proves it.

EDIT: Forgot about Nic Cage as Shinji and Asuka's unwanted lovechild.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:15 am

Now I'm picturing Misato as M!

Judy Dench is amazing whatever she does; I'm now recalling her singing Send in the clowns on the stage of the National Theatre.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: [LAEM] Eva movie casting ideas?

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:52 pm

CHLOE GRACE MORETZ[/b] as Asuka
[/quote]

Wow you just took my favorite anime character and my favorite movie character(abby from let me in) and actor all time and put them together. You are awesome
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:30 pm

Ideally. . . I'd want an all Asian/Asian American cast. . . realistically though. . . yeah. Hollywood does have a long and horrible history of prejudice against Asian and Asian American talent. So if a LAEM was ever produced I probably wouldn't go see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYBJprcCq8Q

===

Ideally. . . this would be my fancast for the adults. I'm not sure who I would cast for the kids. Personally. I'd take a risk and go with some fresh Asian American or Japanese Talent for them.
===

Misato:

Lucy Liu

Or

Rinko Kikuchi

===

Kaji:

Keanu Reeves:

(I'm gonna get a lotta hate for this one. . . )

===
Gendo:

Ken Watanabe

Last edited by Ray on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:09 pm

Dude...
I'd actually be totally down for reeves as Kaji.
Is is geuniely a good actor in my book.
I don't think I've seen a single film with him I didn't like on some level. And I'm that guy that thought Constantine was great.
I like Lucy Lu a lot, but she seems more stiff and serious than I see Misato.
The pacific rim chick... I could see her more as Rei I think.
Ken as gendo is a no brainer.
Walton goggins for me could be a great gendo or Kaji. He can be serious her can also be fun and carismatic as fuck.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue May 06, 2014 2:24 pm

If we are Dawson casting, that is somewhat older actors playing Live action teenagers. Then Xun Zhou would be my choice for Rei/Yui. . . Problems with the film itself aside, I thought her performance in Cloud Atlas was very Rei-esque. Again, no surprise considering the Wachoski's are huge Anime fans.

Of course then you have the issues with the film that some dumb social justice idealist like myself bothers to bring up. I agree whitewashing of Asian roles is a huge problem Hollywood is going to have deal with sooner rather than later. . . but then you've got the other side of the coin.

Someone is bound to find an Asian or Asian American playing Rei, offensive. Since. . .at least at face value until you get to know her character, she is the stereotypical emotionless doll girl that many Asians hate being portrayed as on the big screen.

Ugh. . . Tumblr ruined everything for me. . .

Hey! Heres something to cheer you up! I think this is easily the best fan cast I've seen!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/XMenChronicles/news/?a=71433

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:36 am

Mark Ruffalo as Kaji!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:05 pm

. . . . Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Yumiko Shaku (the princess blade, godzilla x mechagodzilla), would have been a really great yui/Rei back in the very early 2000s, now she is probably too old (36)
water boobs :D

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:58 pm

she has nice bewbies
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:14 pm

She'd still make a good Yui. But they'd have to recruit a younger actress to play Rei

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”