Would anyone be interested in a Madoka Magica RP?

General Role-Playing and collective works.

Moderator: Board Staff

Doctor Memory
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Doctor Memory » Tue May 13, 2014 4:23 am

Re: Witch Classifications
I dunno... Think maybe you should run those by the Ordo Hereticus? Seriously though, I think classifying witches is a good idea. But I doubt the necessity of classifying them as we do stars. If I were to classify witches in this manner, I would shy away from arbitrary distinctions like "bigger than a car, smaller than a bungalow".
One of the big assumptions of this RP is that certain witches are visible to muggles, ergo that would be part of the classification system. I think we can carve out a niche in the canon here and say that there's a certain point where a witch can survive outside her barrier but cannot yet maintain her muggle cloaking. Normally, a witch instinctively hides inside her barrier and influences humanity indirectly. But, for some reason, one witch on one fatefull day was coaxed or forced out of her barrier and Daisuke Q Public was there with his smartphone to film the whole incident. The cause of this phenomenon and its repeatability can greatly inform the the rest of the fluff, if not the narrative as a whole.

Re: Antagonist Factions
Any human organizations that could possibly be a viable threat in the above scenario are either puppets of the Incubators or run by Puella Magi.
Further, I find it extremely difficult to reconcile non-contracted mages with our modern, technological society. If such people have been around for a while, our cities wouldn't be called Tokyo, Osaka and Sapporo. They'd be called Zanarkand, Luca and Besaid.
If non-contracted mages are a recent development, (allowing for a mostly technological society) then they wouldn't have the knowledge and experience necessary to go up against Puella Magi and witches and be consistently threatening. Both sides would still be in the "How do we deal with them?" phase, and the simplest solution is to throw muggles at them. Suddenly, this stopped being about grimdark magical girls and became a parody of X-Men.
...on the other hand, a bunch of MGs teaming up to fight a pack of Sentinels could be really cool. Your Milage May Vary. Personally, I'd prefer giant robots over Agent Que.
(Don't) Excuse Me UhClem, But You're (Not) Making the Doctor (Un)Happy.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue May 13, 2014 6:04 am

View Original PostDoctor Memory wrote:Re: Witch Classifications
I dunno... Think maybe you should run those by the Ordo Hereticus? Seriously though, I think classifying witches is a good idea. But I doubt the necessity of classifying them as we do stars. If I were to classify witches in this manner, I would shy away from arbitrary distinctions like "bigger than a car, smaller than a bungalow".
One of the big assumptions of this RP is that certain witches are visible to muggles, ergo that would be part of the classification system. I think we can carve out a niche in the canon here and say that there's a certain point where a witch can survive outside her barrier but cannot yet maintain her muggle cloaking. Normally, a witch instinctively hides inside her barrier and influences humanity indirectly. But, for some reason, one witch on one fatefull day was coaxed or forced out of her barrier and Daisuke Q Public was there with his smartphone to film the whole incident. The cause of this phenomenon and its repeatability can greatly inform the the rest of the fluff, if not the narrative as a whole.

I like your thinking with that. I'll probably need your help coming up with a more polished classification system (feel free to PM me later- I'm at college ATM stealthbrowsing) although I feel it should allow for a fair bit of freedom on the part of the Witch creator.

Re: Antagonist Factions
Any human organizations that could possibly be a viable threat in the above scenario are either puppets of the Incubators or run by Puella Magi.
Further, I find it extremely difficult to reconcile non-contracted mages with our modern, technological society. If such people have been around for a while, our cities wouldn't be called Tokyo, Osaka and Sapporo. They'd be called Zanarkand, Luca and Besaid.
If non-contracted mages are a recent development, (allowing for a mostly technological society) then they wouldn't have the knowledge and experience necessary to go up against Puella Magi and witches and be consistently threatening. Both sides would still be in the "How do we deal with them?" phase, and the simplest solution is to throw muggles at them. Suddenly, this stopped being about grimdark magical girls and became a parody of X-Men.
...on the other hand, a bunch of MGs teaming up to fight a pack of Sentinels could be really cool. Your Milage May Vary. Personally, I'd prefer giant robots over Agent Que.

So hang on, are you saying we should keep the AODU/whatever we're calling it, downsizing it, or doing away with it? I agree that any human forces of threat to the PM should be themselves run by PM or Incubators, and I think there should only be 1 main "muggle" enemy force, and even they should be relatively minor. I do like Mariachi's idea of the AODU or whatever only showing up very, very occasionally if a battle gets out of hand/a PM goes nuts etc, still run by Golbey behind the scenes, as a kind of "Oh shit, run!" plot enforcer/killbot, albeit one with actual background and story beyond "these are some bad guys". They'd not be the main enemies (the main antagonists, at least initially, are rival PM gangs and of course Witches) and would remain in the background for the most part, but would be at least relevant to the events of the story (one scenario might involve the avengence of a fellow PM gang by raiding a Defence Force outpost). I do agree it shouldn't become magical X-men, which is why I think the idea of them remaining minor characters, tolerating/investigating PM activities and only leading an attack if a Witch/PM gang fight/murderous PM gets out of hand. If you have any better ideas, once again, PM me- I'm open to suggestion!

I'm thinking there should be a few factions that form the main "antagonists" notably a large, powerful rival PM gang and their underlings and possibly the Viridian Coven if that's still on.

Basic plot framework kickstarter idea:

Iibey/player gang goes on Witch hunts, keeps down minor rivals, life is good ==> Rival gang/Magical Yakuza/Viridian Coven or whatever arrive, challenges dominance ==> Shit gets real, go on from here (intersperesed of course with Witch hunts, PM fights and very occasional Task Force attacks, if things get out of hand.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue May 13, 2014 7:30 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:With regards to Witches being visible to the naked eye, I was thinking that purely from a fluff point of view there would need to be some way for non-PM to see/sense them, as otherwise the AODU/Whatever wouldn't have been brought into existance. Maybe there are a few humans with the "gift" of Witch sight? Otherwise I like your ideas about the power levels, like some having fixed barriers and others being able to move their barriers about.

Yes, after posting I realized that I didn't thought of how the SOIU operatives could see the supernatural events. Well for Witches hidden in barriers the problem doesn't exist : people that end in a barrier can see the Witch, Familiars and crazy paper-maché decorum.
So a SOIU should first find the barrier : I was thinking of a mix of good ol' investigation(looking for places where people often disappear or commit suicide for example), then the protective amulet in their badge serves as a "magic radar" when around a supernatural event, (like soul gems can detect Witch, but with a lowest range), to pinpoint the exact supernatural even location, then use some of their artifacts and/or a mage to enter the barrier and do their job (First priority : save the civilians, then if they feel confident enough take down the Witch, if they can't secure the perimeter and call for reinforcements)

Mages have the so-called "Potential" and thus can see (or at least "feel" supernatural) events without help from artifacts.

Maybe have people develop some "Potential" with repeated exposure to the supernatural, for example someone who ended in a barrier and survived would feels "funny" when around magic, maybe see some blurry transparent image if a Witch is outside its barrier, or air distortion when around the edges of a barrier.
And the more exposure to magic, the clearer the image get. That doesn't mean that these people will develop a capacity to use magic, they won't, that's something you get at birth, it'll be a passive ability which slightly help in the job.
That's why the SOIU rookies are paired with veterans inspectors who built a stronger "sixth sense" to magic or better yet, with a mage, until he get "imbibed" by enough magic to perceive magic by himself. In my example of a SOIU duo, the young European is the rookie who can barely see and feel supernatural events (he only got once in a barrier, then worked on minor cases of magic to built some experience) while the Haitian is the veteran and a mage charged to tutor him into working on more serious cases with MG and Witches, both being considered top tier of magical cases.
To give an analogy, if the guy was working for the DEA, the first times he would be affected to investigate small dealers and local addicts, and with the Haitian he gets to work in cases implying the big Mexican Cartels.

Refulgence working as karmic potential sounds like a good idea, and I just got an idea to spice things a little : a RPer that "dies" by witching out can't re-roll until its Witch is destroyed. Meaning than investing in high Refulgence will give a powerful MG with many Soul Points and with great bonuses when using a Grief Seed, but with the cons being that the MG will turn into a powerful Witch, which could force the RPer to wait some time to re-roll. Of course, to avoid to wait too long and lose interest, a RPer can re-roll immediately, but will have some penalties : mental instability, particularly bad luck, shitty personal situation (parents always keeping an eye on them, or already versed in black magic which means that the SOIU already has an eye on them and investigate, begin with having an enmity with a powerful MG gang...)
The drawbacks will progressively lessen as time pass if the Witch isn't destroyed.

About Witches classification : I completely forgot about the premise of this RP universe! :facepalm:
Of course some Witches can be seen by normal eyes, or else how would that famous Witch incident that kickstarted the plot and brought forth the rise in power of the SOIU had happened?
Maybe you should see it with Doctor Memory, he seems to know more about classifications.

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:So hang on, are you saying we should keep the AODU/whatever we're calling it, downsizing it, or doing away with it? I agree that any human forces of threat to the PM should be themselves run by PM or Incubators, and I think there should only be 1 main "muggle" enemy force, and even they should be relatively minor. I do like Mariachi's idea of the AODU or whatever only showing up very, very occasionally if a battle gets out of hand/a PM goes nuts etc, still run by Golbey behind the scenes, as a kind of "Oh shit, run!" plot enforcer/killbot, albeit one with actual background and story beyond "these are some bad guys". They'd not be the main enemies (the main antagonists, at least initially, are rival PM gangs and of course Witches) and would remain in the background for the most part, but would be at least relevant to the events of the story (one scenario might involve the avengence of a fellow PM gang by raiding a Defence Force outpost). I do agree it shouldn't become magical X-men, which is why I think the idea of them remaining minor characters, tolerating/investigating PM activities and only leading an attack if a Witch/PM gang fight/murderous PM gets out of hand. If you have any better ideas, once again, PM me- I'm open to suggestion!

That was exactly the idea I had for the SOIU.
The idea to have Golbey as a shadowy influence is actually good, have him as a sort of corrupting influence behind the organization, being only known to some higher ups that he bribed via promises of power, wealth, longer lives...
Golbey can be the mastermind behind various MG gangs and other criminal organizations (which could be using MG as a "gift" from the Incubator, after all which Cartel/Mafia/Yakuza/Triad would say no to a bunch of superpowerful girls?), often putting them against each others to increase the MG's despair as well as satisfy his sadistic tendencies, and his connection to many SOIU higher up let him use the organization as his "elite sword arm" when he want a sure way to get rid of a rival MG gang, or sometimes just for the lulz to shake up a situation that reached a stalemate (the aforementioned case of Iibey and Myaabey's gang reaching a truce/standstill)
For example, he often make the SOIU make a raid against one of Myaabey's hideouts because his fight against the Incubator system irks the fat bastard, and sometimes even made them attack a "Brick House Drinks and Sundries" hideout : while it doesn't make sense to order an attack against it since Golbey and Iibey are technically allies (both works to gather energy), Golbey was simply bored that day and wanted to make a tense situation explosive just for the lulz!

View Original PostDoctor Memory wrote:Re: Antagonist Factions

That's why I made their magic very low key and support oriented : it's primarily to have a protection, detect supernatural events and eventually some tricks to make a Witch enter a temporary trance the time to evacuate the civilians.

More offensive magic as well as their most efficient anti-magic is a more recent development, officially thanks to all the funds they recently received and the research it made able to do, actually it's thanks to Golbey who "offered" some knowledge about his species' understanding of magic as well as some technology, as a way to bribe his way among the SOIU higher ups.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Role-Playing Related”