How to properly watch Nadia

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:03 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Stop whining and bite the bullet. If couple of "last time happened" bits are enough to throw you off there's nothing that can be done. :um:

So accept it and skip shit or go and watch it all. You can't have it both ways.

Yeah, I guess those are the only options...to be honest I don't go out of my way to watch something that is deemed horrible, even out of curiosity, but I'm just going to have to accept the fact that I will eventually come across something I hate, even in a series that was good for its first 22 episodes.

Anyway, I'll do what Anno says and watch 30 and 31. One last question before I do though. When I begin to watch episode 30, is there really anything I need to know in terms of previous episodes(23-29) to fully understand it, or can I just take the fact that Grandis men having a competition is just a dream?

Edit: Nvm, I just realized what I just said.
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Yeah, i skipped the island arc, watched eps 30 and 31 and skipped africa as well,

though i did watch part of one of the island episodes, forget which one, but yeah, almost right away you can tell Anno's not the one calling the shots.

It seriously turned a cartoon that had at least semi real physics for their characters into almost full-on Looney Tunes.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:03 pm

Just finished to watch it. Amazing crescendo for the final episodes and 31 too, really, really liked it. I watched 30 too, but all the other bad ones I just watched in terms of recap from the following episode (i.e. learned about 23 from the recap in 24, about 24 from the recap in 25 and so on) and still it all felt pretty dreadful, especially the African part.

I didn't remember so many elements that would be used again also in Eva, from the
SPOILER: Show

biblical window dressing (Tower of Babel, deluge myth, Adam, Gargoyle turned into salt), the whole "mankind was created by alien lifeforms/we are God's puppets", the EYE, certain dynamics between characters (Gendo/Ritsuko as a pessimistic, gone-wrong version of Nemo/Electra), the instrumentality of Nadia/Rei to the main ambition/plan, the "bad guys" intention to evolve mankind etc.

Really happy to have bought the nice American boxset.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:11 am

I need to get on and watch Nadia- I've watched the other 2 series from the Anno Triforce of Awesome (Evangelion and Gunbuster) anbd it would be heresy not to watch all 3.

Being the obsessive completionist I am I'll probably watch the whole thing first time (even the outrageously bad Africa arc) just so I can say I've seen the whole thing.

Also, dark-skinned female Shinji. That's perfect.

As for the movie...Well, I've watched Mars of Destruction. it can't be worse than that.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:02 am

For what it's worth, i personally didn't find the Island arc generally as bad/horrible as people said it was and first couple of episodes aside it was a blast because of how hilariously ridiculous most of the plots were.

Africa arc though, yeah that's just so bad it's bad. I liked some of the songs in the musical episode though.

After finishing Nadia, you may want to watch Kare Kano as well. It was Anno's next work after NGE, and it's as good (or better) as you would expect from Gainax.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

RichardFromMarple
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby RichardFromMarple » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:36 pm

I recently watched all of Nadia:SOBW with prior warning that the arc episodes had a big fall-off in quality.

I did find them hard to get through, but the odd trinket (Marie's journal, the circus flashbacks...) made it worth it!

It's a shame the creative team didn't get some earlier warning that the needed more episodes, & use them to flesh out some things that didn't get fully explained in the later episodes.
With The Light

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:20 pm

The island episodes were bad as a whole, but they did have some good scenes and concepts in them. In addition to the scenes you mentioned, I would add Gargoyle's "funeral" for Nemo.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”