Is it really beneficial to make bans/punishments public?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:12 am

While I understand that it's difficult to pull off, I think ban transparency should be optional. If I was being banned for an "offence", I personally wouldn't want others to snoop into my business and would request the mod kept it private, seeing as I wouldn't ever return to the forum again. Others on the other hand, may want it to be public so the general community can see the "injustice" done to them. But as stated earlier, this would be hard to pull off..so it's a tricky question

View Original PostDoublegee wrote:admins are as human as the rest of us.

Ehh that's questionable sometimes

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:17 am

View Original PostStan wrote:While I understand that it's difficult to pull off, I think ban transparency should be optional.

It is optional. You can opt out of it by not getting in trouble in the first place.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:55 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:It is optional. You can opt out of it by not getting in trouble in the first place.

Exactly. If anyone is banned for an offence, they lose any right to privacy over why they were banned. And with our present setup, there's a lot of discussion over whether or not a person deserves to be banned - and if they're banned, they really deserve it.

No ban, no loss of privacy. Savvy, mates?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:22 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:It is optional. You can opt out of it by not getting in trouble in the first place.

It's pretty simple. You only have one rule to follow.

I've been banned from a forum or two in the past. I was being a dick, and I totally deserved it.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:48 pm

All these people jealous that they don't (yet) have their names in the Hall of Fame
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”