Final Music

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:08 pm

@Kendrix and Giji

I think Komm Susser Tod would work because Komm Susser Tod fits both NGE Shinji and Rebuild Shinji's personalities in both EOE and 3.0 respectively. Maybe it could work within the context of a "heroic sacrifice" in Final, instead of a world ending manic depressive rage.

I know, I know I've let you down
I've been a fool to myself
I thought that I could
live for noone else

(Shinji apologizing and admitting it's his fault and noone elses for the state of the world in 3.0.)

But now through all the hurt and pain
Its time for me to respect
the ones who loved
me more than anything.

(Shinji saying he's doing this for the people who loved him. Even if they are either dead or don't love him anymore.)

So with sadness in my heart
I feel the best thing I could do
is end it all
and leave forever

(Shinji saying the world would be better off without him, Anno did write the song when he had suicidal thoughts. Shinji was borderline Suicidal in 3.0, so maybe it could work in the context of Final, although I hope he doesn't actually do the deed.)

whats done is done, it feels so bad
what once was happy now is sad
I'll never love again
my world is ending

(Shinji realizing he will never be able to reconcile with his family or find forgiveness for what he did. That his life is over.)

I wish that I could turn back time
'cause now the guilt is all mine
can't live without the trust from those you love.

(The line that likely inspired You can (NOT) Redo's plot, and I feel it perfectly encapsulates Shinji's Feelings at the end of the film.)

I know we can't forget the past
you can't forget love and pride
because of that it's killing me inside

(Shinji being unable to live with the guilt of what he's done, and that everyone will remember him as "Impact Boy Ikari" even long after he's gone.)

in my heart of hearts,
I know that I could never love again
I've lost everything
everything, everything
that matters to me,
matters in this world

Exactly what it says.

Just my interpretation of it after trying to imagine it in the context of The Rebuilds in 4.0 . . . feel free to disagree.
-

If all else fails I wouldn't mind hearing it during the end credits of 4.0 or on the CD soundtrack, with a full orchestra and a dance remix.
Last edited by Ray on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Considering the pattern of the 3 films so far, Final will either have a remix of Sakura Nagashi (similar to the 2.0 Beautiful World remix) or a brand new song. Gotta sell that newest Hikki single somehow! ;)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:30 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote: Gotta sell that newest Hikki single somehow! ;)

If the quality level of the last two songs is kept up, this can only be a good thing.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll sound amazing. Even if the story and plot go down the shitter, I don't think Evangelion has ever had bad music.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:35 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll sound amazing. Even if the story and plot go down the shitter, I don't think Evangelion has ever had bad music.

I am modestly confident that it will not.

Does nobody but me want to hear Komm Susser Todd in 4.0? They already had the Ode To Joy so why not?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:37 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Even if the story and plot go down the shitter, I don't think Evangelion has ever had bad music.

That being said, I think that Asuka's originally planned theme (A-2) is WAY better than what they ended up using. It sounds like she belongs on a fuckin' farm in Kentucky, dammit.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Ode to Joy is Beethoven. It is timeless.

Komm Susser Todd is old Eva. This is new Eva.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:43 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Does nobody but me want to hear Komm Susser Todd in 4.0? They already had the Ode To Joy so why not?

We already had KST used in the best possible way.

I'd rather see EYED, but thematically, it doens't work anymore because lolanno.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:52 pm

Komm Susser Tod isn't timeless? :(

I hope they at least release a rebuild remix of it on the OST, like they did for Fly Me To Moon, even if it doesn't show up in the film itself.

For me, Komm Susser Tod IS Shinji's theme song, and it would take a really good substitute in 4.0 to prove me otherwise. It perfectly encapsulates his feelings, his motivations, his sorrow and pain, his regret, his guilt, in both EOE and how must feel at the end of 3.0. Scroll up to see my analysis of how the lyrics could work in the context of 4.0.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:55 pm

Komm Susser Tod can be Shinji's theme, but only during EoE, or rather from the beginning of EoE to the moment he decides to reject Instrumentality.
There is more to Shinji than his nihilistic depression of the end series, it would be like reducing Asuka to her breakdown at the end of the series.

And there's already a theme for Shinji as he is at the end of 3.0 : it's Famously...
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:03 pm

Two different Shinjis. There's no reason to mix them together.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:04 pm

@Mariachi

It's good. . . but it sounds like it belongs in a Film Noir, not Evangelion. It just lacks that. . . Instantly memorable dissonance between the lyrics and the upbeat tone. The first time you hear it you remember it for the rest of your life. Not to mention the upbeat tone takes the edge off of the truly nightmarish scenario of instrumentality.

Famously. . . just leaves me depressed that Shinji is in this rut he may never ever be able to rise from.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:37 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Famously. . . just leaves me depressed that Shinji is in this rut he may never ever be able to rise from.

Then it's mission accomplished, this song is made to give you that depressive Film Noir-esque impression, as if Shinji is drowning his guilt in alcohol every night in a shady bar with he faint hope of forgetting about all of this if only for a fleeting moment.

I like to see this song as being about how Shinji feels at that moment and thinks how bleak and desperate the situation is, not how it really is.
Q showed us that how he perceives a situation isn't necessarily how it is really, things could be better than what he thinks.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:01 pm

Well. . . they literally can't be any worse.

Again, even if a new version of KST is only on the OST as a bonus track, or played during the end credits I'll be happy.

I also really like this version with just the vocals and piano. . . I could imagine Mari or Asuka playing it on the piano at Shinji's funeral as the credits roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuRwRlicEmw

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:29 pm

I don't care bout the vocal music. As long as Sagisu gives us our dose of epic Engrish choirs, I'll be fine. :D
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Well I'm just SHOCKED no one has suggested another Loren and Mash song for Final's credits! What, you don't want to hear an R&B version of Angel Of Doom with new lyrics and warbling?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:35 pm

@Warren Peace

Well they already did an R&B remix of KST. Why not?

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:18 am

I trust in Sagisu. He's always delivered, and he'll undoubtedly deliver again with Final.

I'd love to hear another Loren and Mash song, but it would seem that Loren hasn't been active since '97. Who knows if she's even up to the task anymore?

I'm guessing the end credits song will be a remix of either Sakura Nagashi or Beautiful World. A new Utada Hikaru track would be great, but I'm personally not expecting one since either of those two songs would be fitting for just about any ending they could throw at us.

Amitch1991
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch1991 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:54 am

I personally would'nt like to see Komm Susser Tod or Everything You've Ever Dreamed in Final because in my opinion they are songs that make me think of the original series, for Final i want to see either a remix of Beautiful World or Sakura Nagashi, although i would prefer Beautiful World
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

Xbox Live Gamertag : Th3at3rofDr3ams

Facebook : www.facebook.com/BigDogAdz

Twitter : @RealAACentral

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:55 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I also really like this version with just the vocals and piano. . . I could imagine Mari or Asuka playing it on the piano at Shinji's funeral as the credits roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuRwRlicEmw

Shinji and Kaworu play this as a duet...at Shinji's own funeral. With vocals from Rei or Yui. Cue flashback EoE-esque sequence as Shinji passes on to his final rest in Rei's tang paradise.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”