Do you think Misato will survive Rebuild?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:16 am

I hope so. Because I wont lie. Her death in EOE was fucking sad. It really was.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:05 am

honestly i hope that unlike Eoe this rebuild series can end happier......i know that might sound weird for Evangelion but you know what......why the F!@# not a happy ending!? havent all these characters we've grown to love, been through enough. it already ended badly for all of them back in the 90s..... cant it end well for them now?

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:22 am

I really hope Misato dies. I know that sounds so cruel, but I really hope it happens. I hope Anno doens't skimp on tragedy. Last trailer showed some goddamn anguished faces. I really hope shit starts to go dark in 3.0, and 4.0 is just full tilt harrowing bleakness that makes Breaking Bad look like Shining Time Station.

I also want to see at least a little of Gendo and Ritsuko's private relationship, because that's such a tiny subtle thing, but ti defines the hell out of both characters, and I want just a hint of what it's like for these two vulnerable sociopaths to paw at each other in a desperate emulation of human feeling.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:52 am

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:
I also want to see at least a little of Gendo and Ritsuko's private relationship,

We haven't see too much of Ritsuko in Rebuild. The children seem to take center stage in the movies.though this is due mainly to time restraints Though it would add to the serious tone that the third movie will hopefully set.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:17 am

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:We haven't see too much of Ritsuko in Rebuild. The children seem to take center stage in the movies.though this is due mainly to time restraints Though it would add to the serious tone that the third movie will hopefully set.

True, but we still got 2 films to go. I believe in Anno. I believe he will hurt me, but I want that so it's ok.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:28 am

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:these two vulnerable sociopaths to paw at each other in a desperate emulation of human feeling.

That would describe Ritsuko, but Gendo is most definitely NOT "vulnerable" or "desperately emulating human feeling".
Gendo was in that relationship only because he wanted to buy Ritsuko's loyalty and devotion in working towards reuniting him with the woman he actually wanted to be with.
(And maybe to satisfy some of his sexual needs as a distant secondary objective.)
To be quite clear, Gendo very deliberately shut down his "human feeling" in order to carry out his plan, with the intention to only rekindle it after everything has come to fruition. He would therefore have no desire for human feeling in the meantime.

But this all pertains to NGE continuity. In Rebuild continuity, Ritsuko may not be as vulnerable or as hung up on mommy issues, Gendo may have an entirely different plan in mind, and they might not be in a relationship with each other here.
I have even toyed with the thought that Rebuild-Gendo was having sex with Misato rather than Ritsuko (with the same purpose of buying her loyalty and devotion). Just because Anno likes to shift plot elements around throughout at least the second movie.

classified-zerogoki
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby classified-zerogoki » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:34 pm

I hope she doesn't.
"CHAAANGE! EVA TRAIN! SWITCH ON!"
-Asuka, After The End Audio Drama
Evangelion is Serious Business.
Kaworu x Asuka OTP!

charles79
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby charles79 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:01 pm

actually,i want to know what may happens with Misato,until today,she hasn´t appeared in the trailers,the only reference about her (until now),is this scene,

[URL=http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=076416179_rebuildm_122_367lo.JPG]Image[/URL]

we still don´t know what is really happening with her in this scene,but if we watch carefully the scene,Misato makes a face of (apparently) frustration, anger, anxiety or maybe physical weakness, in some forum i have readed some possible fan theories:

1.-this scene is similar to EoE,when Misato is killed,this theory would means than she could be killed too.

2.- It looks like the scene when Gendo opens the dummy plug trying to save Rei,apparently,she could being trying to save Shinji (perharps).

3.-It seems than something serious happened,and she says "Its Over,We are lost",like that scene when Kaworu arrives to central dogma (episode 24).

4.-Misato´s expression looks like someone had applied a sedative or narcotic to her,and she is trying to hold standing,but she can´t,like if she was being kidnapped,this theory comes from a phrase from Preview in 2.22,which says "NERV staff has been kidnapped",apparently,Misato is being kidpapped by someone.

those are the theories which ha have seen in the net,since my own pinot of view,and maybe i am wrong,ths most liking theories are the 3rd or 4th.
i am Evangelion fan since 1999,and my favorite girl is Misato Katsuragi

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:39 pm

I don't see the ending to NME being "happy" or nice in any way. Its Eva...it will mess with our minds and cause a state of depression in the end, which is fine, but it should be done in a more understandable fashion than EoE.

In a way I would like to see some survivors like Asuka and Kaworu (Please let him live till the 4th movie T_T), but then again certain characters like Kaji are not likely to survive for the sake of the plot. The 3.0 film needs to start making shit happen if if they want the dark feeling to start surfacing and for that some deaths need to occur (Shinji's mind needs to be mentally broken before 4.0).

If we want these characters to live, we should expect a happy ending which is unlikely for Eva. Otherwise prepare for some drama, I just hope my mind is capable of comprehending it.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:08 pm

View Original Postcharles79 wrote:actually,i want to know what may happens with Misato,until today,she hasn´t appeared in the trailers,the only reference about her (until now),is this scene,

[URL=http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=076416179_rebuildm_122_367lo.JPG]Image[/URL]

I was kinda hoping all the characters would get re-designs, but Misato's holding onto her red jacket come hell or high water. Maybe she's got crazy pants now or something.

Misato's toyboy
Adam

Re: Do you think Misato will survive Rebuild?

•      
  •      

Postby Misato's toyboy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:33 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:What do you mean with "kinda survived"?
episode 25, around 10:45  SPOILER: Show

Because the deaths (& IMO EoE in total) is Shinji's mental holocaust in the main Eva TV continuity. Everyone dies but him, so nobody more can hurt him.

TV episode 26 is his resurrection/rebirth. Nobody may have died because its all just one possible alternative ending. (And as Mr Tines says, though methinks tongue in cheek, Misato is well for "congratulations").

To me TV & EoE Shinji mindsets are different enough to create different endings. Rebuild Shinji will probably create a third. 3 Shinjis, 2 Asukas, how many Reis?!

And will movie 4 be influenced by Breaking Dawn 2? :rei_meh:

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: Do you think Misato will survive Rebuild?

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:12 pm

View Original PostMisato's toyboy wrote:And will movie 4 be influenced by Breaking Dawn 2? :rei_meh:

I sincerely hope not.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 pm

I was kinda hoping all the characters would get re-designs, but Misato's holding onto her red jacket come hell or high water. Maybe she's got crazy pants now or something.

for real  SPOILER: Show
You hoped for a character re-design you say? Well God has heard your prayers and granted your wish---check out new Misato from 3.0 :)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:39 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:
for real  SPOILER: Show
You hoped for a character re-design you say? Well God has heard your prayers and granted your wish---check out new Misato from 3.0 :)

There's a link for all of the new character designs on the front page, the one titled "News".

Olmer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Olmer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:31 pm

I remember that there was a discussion here once about the lyrics of the song that is being played when Misato and Kaji have a meeting in a bar in 2.22.

Apparently somebody translated them aaaaaaaand...I don't remember what :P I only remember that people suspected them to be about Misato's and Kaji's future and that it was sad/romantic.

Something about falling in love with a man who loves sea...maybe :P.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:52 pm

View Original PostOlmer wrote:I remember that there was a discussion here once about the lyrics of the song that is being played when Misato and Kaji have a meeting in a bar in 2.22.

Apparently somebody translated them aaaaaaaand...I don't remember what :P I only remember that people suspected them to be about Misato's and Kaji's future and that it was sad/romantic.

Something about falling in love with a man who loves sea...maybe :P.

The translation is actually displayed during the movie. And yes, it hints at somebody loving a person that appears a lot like Kaji. However, I vote coincidence and humor value.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:41 pm

Surviving? Maybe. But would living be worth it if she never forgives Shinji?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:02 pm

Now that I think of it, it would be like Anno to kill Misato just after she finally forgives Shinji. Teenage angst to the max, baby!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:35 pm

He just can't catch a break, can't he? :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Well, 2.22 went pretty well for him. Up until he bit Asuka in half.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”