[Anime] Kill la Kill

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

CJD
Banned
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 4843
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CJD » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:39 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:If that's the case, what would be Tsumugu's connection to Ryuuko's mother? He seemed pretty desperate in that flashback, as if he loved the woman being consumed.


That would explain why he's so angry. He got NTR'd by Ryuuko's dad.




Episode Six is out already, somehow it got leaked, and holy shit was it great.

SPOILER: Show
I'm really happy Ryuuko lost. If it was just a win after a win after a win it might have got boring, and beating one of the Elite Four this early would have made every subsequent fight not against them or Satsuki seem pointless.


Also Jesus Christ that OST. That OST. Jesus Christ, that OST.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Giji Shinka
Donor
Donor
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 2656
Joined: Jan 26, 2013
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:06 am

Holy shit. Episode 6= :scanners_head:

Sanageyama's transformation was :lol:
Avatar: "Anime-lehti" logo

Gendo'sPapa
God
God
User avatar
Posts: 4789
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: Everywhere
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:19 pm

Loved Episode 6! At first I was all - "Wow... so the Four Generals may talk a big game but they're all kinda punks. Just placeholder baddies to waste some time." Then the second half of the episode happened.

I'm beginning to think wherever the story goes they won't just kill off or get rid of the Four Generals by the half way point. Or they at least won't get rid of Sanageyama.

CJD
Banned
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 4843
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CJD » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:29 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I'm beginning to think wherever the story goes they won't just kill off or get rid of the Four Generals by the half way point. Or they at least won't get rid of Sanageyama.


This is what I'm hoping, I freaking love these guys. Especially Gamagori.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:37 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:
SPOILER: Show
I'm really happy Ryuuko lost. If it was just a win after a win after a win it might have got boring, and beating one of the Elite Four this early would have made every subsequent fight not against them or Satsuki seem pointless.


SPOILER: Show
LOLWUT? Have you not noticed that she gets her ass kicked the first time out in every single fight? She got trounced in every episode but the fourth, and the only reason she's still alive now is because Satsuki hasn't bothered to kill her just yet. This is par for the course.

Me, I was thoroughly disappointed with this ep for one simple reason: Ryuko went toe to toe with Satsuki and held her ground, facing the boss of the school in the equivalent of a ten star uniform. This ep, she got her ass handed to her by some schmuck in a three star uniform, someone proven to be an inferior fighter to Satsuki. The notion that this guy would even be a blip on her radar is absurd, and rather dramatically undermines the show's central conceit re: the power of life fibers. This would have been an awesome ep without that fight in Ep 3, but since it's there . . . nope.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

CJD
Banned
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 4843
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CJD » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:55 pm

I'm gonna drop spoilers since the normal air time has passed.

LOLWUT? Have you not noticed that she gets her ass kicked the first time out in every single fight? She got trounced in every episode but the fourth, and the only reason she's still alive now is because Satsuki hasn't bothered to kill her just yet. This is par for the course.


Well yea she gets her ass kicked "the first time," because that's how pacing in monster of the week shows works. Every new villain has to at first appear to be tough enough to prevent a challenge for the protag, otherwise every fight would be like the Biology Club scene in Episode 5. They have to create a sense of tension, make the viewer ask "How will Ryuuko get out of this one?"

But she still wins every one handedly in the end. Even Satsuki's fight didn't hit a definitive conclusion once Ryuuko unlocked her new form. It was closer to a standstill than any definitive victory for Satsuki.

Both last week and this week, though, she's definitively got her ass handed to her. And that's good, because she can't just keep dominating people or else the tension fails. The viewer has to know that the possibility of Ryuuko legitimately losing exists, otherwise it all feels like a farce. There'd be no sense of drama to the fights because in the end Ryuuko winning would be a foregone conclusion. (Actually, this is almost certainly still true in the long run, but the difference between good writing and bad writing in this case is that a good writer does a better job of hiding it.)
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Posts: 4247
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
Location: Karlsland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Fireball » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:08 pm

The uniforms aren't the sole source of power, but rather they amplify the user's skill depending the commitment. Ryuuko was overconfident and Monkey could see every move plus the 400% resolve behind his attacks which made the difference as Satsuki mentioned.
Avatar: Rommel-chan

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl


「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:56 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:The uniforms aren't the sole source of power, but rather they amplify the user's skill depending the commitment. Ryuuko was overconfident and Monkey could see every move plus the 400% resolve behind his attacks which made the difference as Satsuki mentioned.


That helps, but even so the gap between a three star uniform and the ten stars is supposed to be staggering. It's very hard for me to see how Ryuko could come down that far just from being overconfident, even if he is that much better than her without the uniform. I think the first battle handled things about right. The second, not so much (unless he's now supposed to be on par with Satsuki -- weaker uniform, but superior in skill).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Posts: 4247
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
Location: Karlsland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Fireball » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:22 pm

She went into her second fight thinking the same trick would work twice and got wrecked for it. Your uniform is meaningless if you can't hit your opponent which was even said in the episode and the full pontential of kamui has yet to be unleashed.
Avatar: Rommel-chan

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl


「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

CJD
Banned
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 4843
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CJD » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:27 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:(unless he's now supposed to be on par with Satsuki -- weaker uniform, but superior in skill).


I actually did get that impression, at least that he's now more skilled than Satsuki. Not sure if that's supposed to be the case, though.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:03 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:She went into her second fight thinking the same trick would work twice and got wrecked for it. Your uniform is meaningless if you can't hit your opponent which was even said in the episode and the full pontential of kamui has yet to be unleashed.


The problem I'm having is that the power difference between the uniforms should make that impossible -- no matter how good his senses are the power of the ten star should let its user overcome them. If it doesn't what the devil's the point of the ten star to begin with?

I get that props are no substitute for fighting skill, but Ryuko has fighting skill in spades -- that's how she broke even with Satsuki, hence my disconnect. The point of the ep seems to be that overconfidence can bring you low, but that seems inconsistent with what was established in ep 3.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Posts: 4247
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
Location: Karlsland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Fireball » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:18 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:If it doesn't what the devil's the point of the ten star to begin with?

Multiplying the skill higher than others under the right conditions which wasn't at work here for the reasons stated.
Avatar: Rommel-chan

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl


「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 2015
Joined: Jan 02, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby A.T. Fish » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:37 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Both last week and this week, though, she's definitively got her ass handed to her. And that's good, because she can't just keep dominating people or else the tension fails. The viewer has to know that the possibility of Ryuuko legitimately losing exists, otherwise it all feels like a farce.


I think thre's more of a farce in repeatedly providing an escape for Ryuko whenever she's in a big pinch, which is what has happened so far. We all know she won't lose in the end, we also know her uniform is superior to the other ones, so it wouldn't really be unreasonable for her to consecutively win her battles. I did like how they brought Sanageyama back after his defeat though. Blinding himself to enhance his own senses. Where have I seen this before?

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 2960
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Yare yare daze.....
I love seeing Mako in that Jotaro outfit.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 2015
Joined: Jan 02, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:12 pm

Another filler episode, though this time it was a great one.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 795
Joined: Dec 08, 2011
Location: New York
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Na7e » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:43 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Another filler episode, though this time it was a great one.


I don't think you know what the word filler means?

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 2015
Joined: Jan 02, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:01 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:I don't think you know what the word filler means?


Please, enlighten me.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Posts: 4247
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
Location: Karlsland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Fireball » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:04 am

Filler means padding original material with content longer than it actually is to match the length of a tv series or not to catch up in case the material is still ongoing aka shit that isn't in the manga. Since this is an original anime you can't call this filler in the classic sense. However the word is often used to describe episodes that don't really advance the story but even in that case it's harsh to call it that way because we got to know a few things.

We know that Ryuuko has killed half the school now and is playing right into Satsuki's grand scheme (the common theory is that she is actually training Ryuuko to team up with her against her mother). We got to see an interesting outlook how the world in KlK works and by doing well at the academy changing the social status and consequently how it effects the human behavior (call it social commentary if you will or simply Don't lose your waaaaaay). We got to know why there are so many weird clubs to begin with and it established that Ryuuko can't work inside the system but has to destroy it. (Satsuki's smirk at the end speaks volumes as if she wants to be proven wrong) Last but not least, the episode brought up the lone environment Ryuuko grew up with and build on the bond between Ryuuko and her new found family and that Mako packs more power than she actually likes to show (inb4 I'm actually a demon)

So yeah, this all directly relates to the story and the main theme of the show and how the anime presents itself right from the very start, so it's not filler unless you want to call the entire show like that.


Image
pic related, real filler and preview of the next episode
Avatar: Rommel-chan

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl


「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 2015
Joined: Jan 02, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:12 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:We know that Ryuuko has killed half the school now and is playing right into Satsuki's grand scheme (the common theory is that she is actually training Ryuuko to team up with her against her mother). We got to see an interesting outlook how the world in KlK works and by doing well at the academy changing the social status and consequently how it effects the human behavior (call it social commentary if you will or simply Don't lose your waaaaaay). We got to know why there are so many weird clubs to begin with and it established that Ryuuko can't work inside the system but has to destroy it. (Satsuki's smirk at the end speaks volumes as if she wants to be proven wrong) Last but not least, the episode brought up the lone environment Ryuuko grew up with and build on the bond between Ryuuko and her new found family and that Mako packs more power than she actually likes to show (inb4 I'm actually a demon)


Nothing new apart from the bolded part. The inner workings of the school system were already known. The social commentary has been there since day 1 as well. The existence of weird clubs didn't need any justification, they were just there to convey the show's comedic nature. Ryuuko working to destroy the system was exactly what was happening already, nothing changed there. That part about Ryuuko being happy that she finally had a family was already done even before the OP of the episode, her bond with Mako's family was also something established, there was no need to have an entire episode focusing on that. Mako fighting with a goku uniform didn't prove she has any power, it's a known fact that the uniforms enhance people's skills.

In short, almost everything in the episode was old news, the only real plot point made was the fact that Ryuuko beat most of the clubs already, everything else was disposable.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Posts: 4247
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
Location: Karlsland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Fireball » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:13 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:In short, almost everything in the episode was old news, the only real plot point made was the fact that Ryuuko beat most of the clubs already, everything else was disposable.

Well yes, certainly no quantum development, (not something one can expect from this kind of format anyway) but the episode established and build upon on things to come and justified it by Satsuki's reveal by the end.

I disagree on brushing off Mako's display like that. There was a clear implication to her potential. She has never been shown to fight or have any other physical skills and that short burst of hers was unusual even for a two star. You can't just punch graters that send the elite 4 flying by simply donning a uniform.

Image
Avatar: Rommel-chan

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl


「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]


Return to “Anime and Manga”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests