Masayuki's Music Videos

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Masayuki's Music Videos

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Awkwardly split from "Death & Rebirth... and my mother." So allow me to add a formal introduction that repeats some of the stuff in the newfangled thread.

Masayuki is the assistant director of the TV series and the director of DEATH. He's also more recently edited together some interesting music videos set to NGE vocal numbers.

The first two were the so-called Full-Length Opening and Full-Length Ending, released on the 01 Test Type DVD to promote the upcoming remastered version of the series (Renewal for short). (You can find these in the Omake section of Monkey's site.) There has been discussion on these in the past, which you can surely find at ANF and here if you set your mind to it.

A few more were released on the NGE MUSIC & REMIX DVD. There is are RARs -- albeit incomplete ones -- floating around for this, of course, but you're left to your own devices to find them. They reveal that the DVD is really not worth buying, at least at full price, but some of the music videos are rather interesting nonetheless. I've taken the liberty of providing the three devoted to the main "Eva Girls" for your perusal and subsequent discussion.

Asuka: Tamashii no Refrain (Soul Refrain)
Rei: Tengoku no Kioku (Memories of Paradise)
Misato: THANATOS --IF I CAN'T BE YOURS--

Onward and upwards. --Reichu

Sailor StarDust wrote:I like the weirdness factor [of Rebirth] as well as the Tamashii No Rufuran ED, but oh well. :(

Masayuki was sure to make up for this slight injustice.

NGE MUSIC & REMIX DVD: TAMASHII NO REFRAIN

(NOTE: Still uploading as I post this. Give it fifteen minutes.)
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:27 am

It always annoyed the hell out of me that manga never subbed that song, do you have a translation to the lyrics?
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:12 am

Defectron wrote:It always annoyed the hell out of me that manga never subbed that song, do you have a translation to the lyrics?

I bet Google does.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:49 pm

What's up with the "Reichu, translate everything for me!" trend around here, anyway?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:38 pm

Because her nihongo is l33t??

But I agree that Google, speicifcally http://www.animelyrics.tv/anime/eva/ is your friend.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:02 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Because her nihongo is l33t??

Check out the people at the animelyrics.tv forum, and then I dare you to say that again.

Brikhaus wrote:What's up with the "Reichu, translate everything for me!" trend around here, anyway?

If it is a "trend", then it must be because I'm the only person currently around who (A) knows some modicum of Japanese and (B) has used it on NGE to the benefit of others aside from myself.

So, did anyone like the video? I thought SSD at least would have something to say about the very end.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:42 pm

SSD has not had time to watch it yet. But she will find the time either tomorrow or Friday. And she will also be sure to comment on the tengoku no kioku video as well as stop referring to herself in third person. :P
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Stardust's long-awaited (ha, yeah right) AMV reply:

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:06 pm

I like the fact it begins ala Rebirth ED. Very nice! ^_^ Though what's with the little text on the bottom of the video with kanjiEVAkanji?

Starting out with Asuka's False Rebirth: WIN. *5 second delayed response (sadly this part isn’t a joke! -_-)* HOLY CRAP IT'S ASUKA-CENTERIC! ^_^ WAI~~~ Perhaps to go along with the fact that TnK is Rei-centeric? Very nice! In terms of AMVs, it's sad how only actual anime compaines know how to make a good AMV, and fan ones tend to be lacking. Granted, I know that's not ALWAYS the case, just something I personally noticed. Sidenote: Espeically watching this musicvideo, it should be clear to anyone that something is not right with Asuka in the final battle, if not realizing the fact she's regressed/Kyoko's behind the regins of nigoki.

The very end: Yay! Pleased to know it more or less ended as I thought it would. A shot from I Need You. *squee!* (And of course, that cut of Maggoty Asuka-chan TM had to be thrown in for good measure! ^^; )

Out of curiosity’s sake, are you going to make these 2 vids available for download off of your FGC site for the general Evageeks public?

Thanks so much for the upload! ^_^

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Stardust's long-awaited (ha, yeah right) AMV reply:

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:12 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I like the fact it begins ala Rebirth ED. Very nice! ^_^

It was the Only Neat Thing To Do.

Though what's with the little text on the bottom of the video with kanjiEVAkanji?

I'm not sure which part you're referring to.

HOLY CRAP IT'S ASUKA-CENTERIC! ^_^ WAI~~~ Perhaps to go along with the fact that TnK is Rei-centeric?

There is one for Misato, as well, to go with "THANATOS -IF I CAN'T BE YOURS". I thought the choice was a bit strange, myself; I always associated "THANATOS" with Rei.

In terms of AMVs, it's sad how only actual anime compaines know how to make a good AMV, and fan ones tend to be lacking.

Perhaps it helps that these music videos were edited by Masayuki, who is one of NGE's assistant directors and responsible for "DEATH".

Incidentally, that gives the videos a sort of canonical merit. Masayuki could be using these compositions as a means to relate points, ideas, and themes from the show itself. See, for example, the numerous instances of juxtaposition.

Sidenote: Espeically watching this musicvideo, it should be clear to anyone

Considering the success level of prior Bridge Theory campaigns, I doubt it. But it would be nice.

The very end: Yay! Pleased to know it more or less ended as I thought it would. A shot from I Need You. *squee!*

I thought the final sequence (starting at about 4:30) was rather interesting, as well...

Out of curiosity’s sake, are you going to make these 2 vids available for download off of your FGC site for the general Evageeks public?

They're not a priority, but if they end up being cited in the future incarnation of the site, I'll have an excuse.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:09 pm

I always assoicated Thanatos with Rei and I guess to an extent (although this isn't the case afterall ^^; ) Komm, Susser Tod with Asuka. I guess her "song" WOULD be Tamashii~ then?

Are there any Shinji-centeric ones? I'm telling you, the poor boy needs some love! ;)

The final sequence WAS interesting... (immature response: lolz I C Shinji's cum! ZOMG...unless that was a few minutes before)

Reichu wrote:Check out the people at the animelyrics.tv forum, and then I dare you to say that again.

Good point. I guess this means unless you have AT LEAST 2 years experience with nihongo (my stepbro has 7 years plus living in Japan for one year under his belt...Lucky bastard. T_T) you can't say you know your stuff? (true with any language, I guess.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:32 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I always assoicated Thanatos with Rei and I guess to an extent (although this isn't the case afterall ^^; ) Komm, Susser Tod with Asuka. I guess her "song" WOULD be Tamashii~ then?

"Komm, susser Tod" is a somewhat generalized song with motifs that resound throughout NGE. But if it had to be "given" to a specific character, it would be Shinji.

Masayuki's 'assignment' of "THANATOS --IICBY--" to Misato is rather strange, IMO, since every occurrence of the original BGM is associated with Rei. But, then, I'm not sure if the lyrical version ended up having much to do with Rei. [BTW, here is that video, since I bet you're sick of just hearing me talking about it.]

As for Asuka and "Tamashii" -- do the lyrics have any relevance to her character at all?

Good point. I guess this means unless you have AT LEAST 2 years experience with nihongo (my stepbro has 7 years plus living in Japan for one year under his belt...Lucky bastard. T_T) you can't say you know your stuff? (true with any language, I guess.)

I've been dabbling with it since 2000 at least. I could probably have been fluent by now if I were a bit more serious about benkyou.
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:36 pm

Reichu wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:I always assoicated Thanatos with Rei and I guess to an extent (although this isn't the case afterall ^^; ) Komm, Susser Tod with Asuka. I guess her "song" WOULD be Tamashii~ then?

"Komm, susser Tod" is a somewhat generalized song with motifs that resound throughout NGE. But if it had to be "given" to a specific character, it would be Shinji.

Masayuki's 'assignment' of "THANATOS --IICBY--" to Misato is rather strange, IMO, since every occurrence of the original BGM is associated with Rei. But, then, I'm not sure if the lyrical version ended up having much to do with Rei. [BTW, here is that video, since I bet you're sick of just hearing me talking about it.]

As for Asuka and "Tamashii" -- do the lyrics have any relevance to her character at all?

Not that I know of. -_- (maybe something to do with Rei, but not Asuka!!) And as of late, I've realized KST IS about Shinji...
Thanks for the linky! ^^;

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:22 am

Y´all are talking about the official music DVD that was just released sometime the past months, right? The one in mostly black and EVA-01 on the cover?
I´d post a link to clarify, but this spanish computer won´t let me onto play-asia because it contains gambling. Won´t let me access /b/ either, but that´s understandable.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:42 am

Kaysow wrote:Y´all are talking about the official music DVD that was just released sometime the past months, right? The one in mostly black and EVA-01 on the cover?

Yes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:00 pm

Kaysow wrote:this spanish computer won´t...let me access /b/ either, but that´s understandable.

Sounds like you should keep this computer for life.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:22 pm

Reichu wrote:
Kaysow wrote:Y´all are talking about the official music DVD that was just released sometime the past months, right? The one in mostly black and EVA-01 on the cover?

Yes.

Brief and to the point, I like that.
Official AMVs. Now I REALLY wanna get home and download that video you posted.

BrikHaus81 wrote:
Kaysow wrote:this spanish computer won´t...let me access /b/ either, but that´s understandable.

Sounds like you should keep this computer for life.

Oh no you le didn´t.
Last edited by Kaysow on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:24 pm

In terms of AMVs about Asuka, the only fitting "movie song" that comes to mind would be EYED. (duh)

...Masyuki-tachi didn't make a vid of that, did they?

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:In terms of AMVs about Asuka, the only fitting "movie song" that comes to mind would be EYED. (duh)

...Masyuki-tachi didn't make a vid of that, did they?

It's an actual song (you know recorded and such) I thought that it was just lyrics, or am I thinking of something different?
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:37 pm

I'm asking if an AMV was ever made for that. I know about EYED as it's my favorite Eva song. ^_^

I'm just saying in terms of songs that match the characters, that's the only one I can think of (in terms of the movies since it was apparently going to be used) that fits Asuka.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:03 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:...Masyuki-tachi didn't make a vid of that, did they?

No. It would have been nice, as a tribute to the convoluted Shinji/Asuka relationship, even despite some overlap with the "Tamashii" content.

Maybe somebody with 1337 editing skills and extensive familiarity with the subject can make one in Masayuki's trademark style sometime.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”