[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:04 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Last night I went to the Queen Elizabeth Hall for a concert.

First up - Stockhausen's Gesang der Jünglinge. This was one of the first records I had, in 1962 or so (a present from my older brother); last night was the first time I've heard it in the intended surround form in a hall, and it was, as expected, a revelation. (Well, not quite the intended form, as the original tapes were lost, so it can only be played in a reconstituted four-track form, without the original overhead track.)

Then - Stockhausen's Kontakte, in the version with piano and percussion. My son Nic played the piano (and some of the percussion), as he did when I heard it a few years ago in the Albert Hall at a Prom. It's a much longer piece, and I don't think it wears its length very well; I prefer Gesang.

Then we had dinner with my son (we skipped Boulez's Le marteau sans maître - naughty; but there you go).

Anecdote: Before Stockenhausen died, the BBC organised a festival of concerts of his music, and booked my son to play some of the piano pieces. Stockhausen demanded that his wife play them instead - but the BBC stood their ground and said they had a contract with Nic, and so would use him. In the end, they split the pieces between the pianists (and Nic got the more prominent billing - and his full agreed fee), and Stockhausen was actually somewhat complimentary about his performances. Nic's played some of the pieces elsewhere, and I have my own recording of a couple he did at one Cheltenham Festival.

Further anecdote: In 1969 I was working at the BBC, and was operating the tape machines for the rehearsals and performance of Treffpunkt from Stockhausen's Aus den sieben Tagen. Parts of the BBC SO were placed around the BBC's Maida Vale studio, and asked to improvise to the guidance of a text that Stockhausen read to them first. Each group had some microphones, and in between the groups were speakers. Stockhausen sat in the middle with a mixer desk which enabled him to take the miked sound from each part of the orchestra and direct it to any of the speakers, or any combination, to guide or disrupt other groups of performers. Each part of the orchestra had another mixer desk at which an acolyte determined the combination of the microphones that was sent to Stockhausen's mixer. The live broadcast performance took place in darkness, and lasted about 20 minutes (in final rehearsal, it had been 30 minutes, and with more form). I met Stockhausen during these events.

Amazing you were there to witness it, although little appreciated at the time.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:51 am

This makes me really, really, really, really, really, really, really sad. :( ;_; :crybaby:

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:54 pm

New album day!

SPOILER: Show

Russian Circles newest release "Memorial" On clear vinyl, first pressing, 1 of 500.

Plopped it on the table a little bit ago and I have to say there are some freaking heavy tracks on here.

"Deficit" Is just... a brutal wall of sound haha. Great song, and one of my favorites on the album.

"1777" Is my definite favorite though, hands down.

Will post more thoughts later as they come haha.

Can't wait to see Blue Mondays thoughts on this album.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:19 am

Dude, so good - 'Deficit' has the walls of my apartments rumbling like crazy. Liking how they've divided the "heavier" cuts from the "pretty" ones too.
Gives the album a pretty cool balance.

I got some Nirvana in the mail earlier today as well.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:51 am

I'm convinced Susumu Hirasawa is some kind of lich, because the man does not age.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:53 am

View Original Postchee wrote:I'm convinced Susumu Hirasawa is some kind of lich, because the man does not age.

i would say he is more akin to a fine cognac or brandy, getting more refined and intoxicating with age.

now i feel like listening to "Forces" again :nod:

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:38 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Dude, so good - 'Deficit' has the walls of my apartments rumbling like crazy. Liking how they've divided the "heavier" cuts from the "pretty" ones too.
Gives the album a pretty cool balance.

I got some Nirvana in the mail earlier today as well.

Yeah, I liked how they divided them up myself. Really balanced things and provided some good contrast.

With "Deficit" I found myself turning it up louder :lol: So good.

Nice review on the Nirvana LP.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:37 pm

So I finally got to see Animal Collective live on Wednesday night and it was... awesomeeeee!!!

Sadly, Dan Deacon wasn’t able to make it to open, though. I’ve seen him live before so I guess I can accept that. Instead, we got Deradoorian, whose music was really cool but wasn’t really suited for the venue. It would have worked better in a small venue.

Two things that really bothered me during that set:
1. Tall people standing in front of me to my right. Seriously. I want to see the concert too without having to cock my head to the side and standing on my tiptoes. But whatever. It’s not those guys’ faults that they’re gigantic, and they got there earlier than I did, so whatever. Life goes on.
2. Jerks seated on the floor in front of me to my left. One of the girls in the group was like, “What? No Dan Deacon? Ugh, I’m not bothering to stand up for this.” First of all, that’s disrespectful to the artist. She’s working hard and performing her music quite well, even if it isn’t as high-energy as the Orpheum calls for. Also, sitting on the floor takes up a lot of space, so I could have made my way to the front if they had let me though by… you know… not sitting on the floor.

That all didn’t matter for Animal Collective because I was able to squeeze my way through to the front (there was only one guy in front of me) between the acts.

Animal Collective were amazing. Seriously. It must be frustrating for them that people didn’t react strongly when they played stuff from Centipede Hz, which is pretty much what the first two thirds of the show was. “Today’s Supernatural,” “Applesauce,” and “Wide Eyed” got small reactions. I heard someone behind me actually mutter during the show, “Yeah, I bought the last album, I listened to it once and kind of forgot about it.”

But once the sounds from “Brothersport” started playing, the crowd went gorillas. I always thought it would be a great song to dance to but I never dreamed I’d be pushed around crazily to it. I rather enjoyed it, though. I kept having to push back as best as I could at certain points so the really small women standing next to me wouldn’t get knocked over.

Also, everyone sang along to “My Girls.” Well, maybe not everyone but a lot of people did, myself included. I’m surprised they performed that song live. I heard in the past that they tended to avoid it. Maybe I’m remembering incorrectly.

But yeah, Animal Collective concert was awesome. They were a lot more polished than in the concert footage I’ve seen of them on YouTube. I’d post the pictures I took but they’re just crappy cell phone pics and didn’t turn out well. Also I could barely see Panda Bear as he was poorly lit and hidden behind a wall of fog.

Of course, after the concert I capped the night off with a slice at Ian’s Pizza, where they were playing Animal Collective. This is when I also heard the greatest quote of the night from some girl a few feet away from me:

"Is ‘ping pong’ a racial slur?"

It’s better without the context.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:39 pm

@Bomby Very nice, I actually saw AC on Thursday night here in Chicago. The people here were pretty bogus during the opening act too; I was basically in the front row and this group of like, 8 kids were having a loud conversation right behind me, and you could tell that the girl could hear them as she was trying to play. I was thisss close to shushing them, but I didn't want to get in a fight and get my ass kicked and kicked out. Oh well, I think they were high and/or drunk anyway, and possibly high school kids. I didn't really dig the opening act, definitely would have rather seen Dan Deacon as well, but I've gotta give it to the girl, she did her thing in front of a bunch of people that were solely there to see AC.

Anyways, AC were really great. They didn't play Applesauce, which kinda bummed me out, but they played What Would I Want? Sky, which I didn't think they would. The crowd went nuts(including me) for Lion in a Coma, My Girls, and Brothersport(everyone loves Merriweather).
I was very happy that they played My Girls, since that was like, my song(and everyone elses) when I was 20. I used to bump live versions of it on my ipod all the time, and I was glad I got to hear the real thing.(I think they used to play it live a lot before Merriweather dropped).
By the time Brosport was done I was shifted from the front to the back, very out of breath, and a little confused. Oh, and there was something like a mosh pit too, which was unexpected. They finished with Purple Bottle, which is a jam, and midway through the song Avey sang a couple lines from the Stevie Wonder song, "I Just Called to Say I Love You," which I thought was really moving and sweet. I had the most fun I've had at a show since I was in high school and seeing emo bands on the reg...

The only bad thing about the show was that I was pretty sweaty when it got out, and it was about 45 degrees outside. But, I survived ^_^

@Xard I'm really into that new Perfume too.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:23 pm

So, Psycroptic.

Pros: The band doesn't have any bad records to date.
Awesome musicianship and songwriting.
Really know how to write a catchy yet original riffs.

Con: Not coming to the states any time soon. (balls)

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:35 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:btw Bomby, new album came out

Yeah, I downloaded it the other night but I haven't taken the time to listen to it yet. I haven't been on my computer much lately.

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:They finished with Purple Bottle, which is a jam, and midway through the song Avey sang a couple lines from the Stevie Wonder song, "I Just Called to Say I Love You," which I thought was really moving and sweet.

Yeah, same here. I personally wish they had played "Grass." That's probably my all time favorite Animal Collective song.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:07 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote: I personally wish they had played "Grass." That's probably my all time favorite Animal Collective song.

Yea, I found myself hoping for Grass too. A lot of kids around me seemed to be bummed that they didn't play anything off of Strawberry Jam, but since their songs can be so long and their catalogs so vast they can never really get to everything.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 am

Anyone here listen to This Will Destroy You?
Which album is the best to check out first?

Also rekindling my appreciation for Miles Away (Australian hardcore/punk), specifically their sophomore album; Rewind, Repeat.
Warren Peace, #643919

MJL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJL » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:21 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Anyone here listen to This Will Destroy You?
Which album is the best to check out first?

Young Mountain EP is pretty good. I've never paid too much attention to their full-lenghts, but I remember loving parts of Tunnel Blanket. It's quite a bit heavier than their other releases.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:15 pm

New Anne EP is out tomorrow and is currently streaming on the RFC SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/tom-rfc/sets/anne-jerusalem-ep

'Untitled' just about brought my whole apartment down around me. Talk about "hard-edged" synths.

View Original PostMJL wrote:Young Mountain EP is pretty good. I've never paid too much attention to their full-lenghts, but I remember loving parts of Tunnel Blanket. It's quite a bit heavier than their other releases.

Awesome I'll give those two a whirl then.
Thanks.
Warren Peace, #643919

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:56 pm

Saw Nine Inch Nails last night......It was AMAZING. I'm going to say it again.....FUCKING AMAZING. Completely made my year. He did about 27 songs including the encore. I was totally not expecting that. I had to look up the set list just to confirm the count. And it was a nice little mix. I just died when he did "hand that feeds", "Terrible Lie" and "Big Come Down". :heart: He also had a mini laser show going on there which was really cool.

Now what surprised me was his opening act Gary Numan. To be honest, I didnt know who he had opening. So when i got there and heard this amazing band with some guy jumping around like a 20 yr old....my jaw dropped when the guy next to me told me it was Gary Numan. Just in case no one know he did that song Cars. He was REALLY great. Totally surprised me. The dude is 55 and rocked his ass off.

My only gripe was my seat. Granted, i did purchase it the night before, but i totally got screwed by ticketmaster. Those @#$%&%$**** tried to squeeze me between an old couple and another old man. And there was an EMPTY ROW OF SEATS IN FRONT OF ME. Luckly they didnt bother me when moved down there but that was ridiculous. I was in the semi nose bleed section, but i was at least able to get some good video before my phone died.

Anyway....the show was amazing. Wish i was able to drive to Orlando just to see them again :headbang:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:49 am

Ugh, so jealous. Are you able to post the rest of the set list?

The Nails are coming to Australia next year with QOTSA (whom I don't much care for) but I'm thinking of flying down south to catch one of the shows if I can arrange seeing a couple others gigs too.

My pre-order for the new RC LP finally arrived as well:
http://img.deadformat.net.s3.amazonaws.com/tradelist/l/5272f09081f24.jpg

Seemingly the "clear grey" didn't turn out at the plants...
Ah well, still looks/sounds good.
Warren Peace, #643919

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:55 pm

The set was a great. They didnt play Satellite or Various Methods of Escape, which happen to be favorites from the new album, but they did do some other favs so i was content.

1.Copy of A
3.Terrible Lie
4.March of the Pigs
5.Piggy
6.All Time Low
7.Disappointed
8.Came Back Haunted
9.Find My Way
10.Sanctified
11.I Would for You
12.The Frail
13.The Wretched
14.In Two
15.The Big Come Down
16.Running
17.A Warm Place
18.Somewhat Damaged
19.Wish
20.The Hand That Feeds
21.Head Like a Hole

Encore:
22.Reptile
(with Gary Numan)
23.We Take Mystery (To Bed)
(Gary Numan cover) (with Gary Numan)
24.Even Deeper
25.While I'm Still Here
26.Black Noise
27.Hurt
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”