Something wrong with system time on the forum server?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Something wrong with system time on the forum server?

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:29 pm

2 strange things happened over the last couple of days. Just now I wasn't able to post for about 20 minutes or so, it kept saying I needed to wait longer before I can post again (flood control). And a few days ago, I was responding to one of Reichu's posts, and my post ended up before hers.

Oh, also another thing. This happened a few times over the last couple of days. Posts that I've either marked as seen or posts that I clicked on would still show up as "New".

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:32 pm

It would seem so -- suddenly there are messages from the future (about 1 hour when first spotted, now down to about 30 minutes) on the forums.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:34 pm

I think this started happening when the DST shit came about. Is it possible the server is running a version of NTP that DOESN'T use drift control (such as openntp)? Or the ntpd was set up incorrectly?

From the upper left part of forum index wrote: You last visited on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:57 pm
The time now is Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:37 pm

So now ever post until 5:57pm will not show up as "New"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Something wrong with system time on the forum server?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:08 pm

Ornette wrote:And a few days ago, I was responding to one of Reichu's posts, and my post ended up before hers.

And the thread STILL said "last post by Ornette", which confounded the everliving hell out of me.

Just spotted a time paradox over here, too.

I bet it just gets worse from here on out. Anyone know where Monkey put the life vests?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:24 pm

Like Ornette said, this problem did seem to start when DST kicked in 3 weeks early. Perhaps the problem will resolve itself on the date DST normally kicks in; April 1st.

That's my guess anyway (based on nothing). It's been rather annoying so I thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

C4
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C4 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Soon, various posts from various posters from various periods of time will appear for no reason and vanish as quickly as we come. C4 from the future will come, and be all like, "C4 from the past! You dick! Just posting the post that your currently writing will send a massive shockwave in the future that will disrupt the fanwank vibration equilibrium! And all your posts will kill kittens! African kittens!" And I'll be like, "WTF :?: Sorry, man, I didn't know. :cry: " And someone will have sex with their mother and be their own father, and after that, it will just go insane.

But, I digress. Another problem I've been having with these time paradox things is that after I've viewed some new posts, they'll still show up as new. Also, I think that some new posts haven't been showing up as if they were new. But I'm probably not telling you anything you already don't know. Sorry African kittens.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the "time posted" for this particular post is most definitly off by an hour and some change right now.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:31 pm

It looks like the evamonkey.com server runs FreeBSD 4.7 (god that's old as shit, 2002...). And it looks like FreeBSD needs an update to /usr/share/zoneinfo and /etc/localtime (http://www.freebsd.org/releng/dst_info.html). I also see that the server is running ntpd, which should automatically set the time. Because of the zoneinfo and localtime setup, there maybe something else that is resetting the time (perhaps a cron job) based off of these config files.

So it looks like, either update these 2 files on the system, or wait until April first or whatever and it'll fix itself until next year if the government decides to keep this new system.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:19 am

Y2K seven years later... almost like Angol Mois, not that cute though.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:30 pm

grrr, that was messing with my head, glad to know it wasn't just me
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:37 pm

I haven't noticed anything untoward. I'm set for the GMT timezone in my profile. Then again, I may be too obtuse to have noticed.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:23 am

It seems new posts stay new even when I read them, everything posted all day yesterday shows up as a new post/unread (orange icon) even after I mark them as read. Only way I could get them to be marked as read is to log out and log back in.

Has this been happening to anyone else?

C4
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby C4 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:12 am

Ornette wrote:It seems new posts stay new even when I read them, everything posted all day yesterday shows up as a new post/unread (orange icon) even after I mark them as read. Only way I could get them to be marked as read is to log out and log back in.

I wrote:But, I digress. Another problem I've been having with these time paradox things is that after I've viewed some new posts, they'll still show up as new. Also, I think that some new posts haven't been showing up as if they were new. But I'm probably not telling you anything you already don't know. Sorry African kittens.

However, for all my intents and purposes, everything's been going smoothly with the system time for the past couple of days, so there's no further problem on my end.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:44 pm

Ornette wrote:It seems new posts stay new even when I read them, everything posted all day yesterday shows up as a new post/unread (orange icon) even after I mark them as read. Only way I could get them to be marked as read is to log out and log back in.

I haven't had any problems like that. Out of curiosity what type of web browser are you using? I had to stop using the upgraded version of Netscape because it was doing funky things to this sight for me a while back.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:39 pm

Hunter21 wrote:

I haven't had any problems like that. Out of curiosity what type of web browser are you using? I had to stop using the upgraded version of Netscape because it was doing funky things to this sight for me a while back.

Firefox (Bon Echo) version 2.0.0.2 Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070301 BonEcho/2.0.0.2

Been using 2.0 rc1 since it got added into gentoo's portage tree around last Sept, and 2.0.0.2 since Feb 24th when it got added, and never had problems with these forums until the DST thing.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”