Does Anno watch TV nowadays?

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Does Anno watch TV nowadays?

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:04 am

I'm just interested to see if there's any information out there on modern programs that he watches/likes. We all know that he infamously claimed in his Rebuild mission statement that "there is no anime newer than Eva"....so my guess is that he isn't really a huge fan of any anime series that have aired....at least up until 2006 or so....whenever he made that statement.

So, is he a viewer of any live action programs on Japanese TV?....has he watched any shows from America or the UK? He doesn't seem to be as extremely against technology as Miyazaki is, being that they're from different generations, so it seems a good possibility that he watches some television.

Has this ever been asked of him?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:52 am

I think he meant modern in a very different sense of the term. Evangelion does more than most other shows to critique the mindset of its viewers and their desires, and it goes into territory that Anno hadn't been sure he wanted to include when it began. It was that sort of show. And he's had fun elsewhere - in Kare Kano, for instance.

Anno he does have plenty of industry contacts including in Gainax, so he's bound to know what's going on. He's no slouch. He doesn't need to waste time watching crap to know what's up.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:56 am

He liked Madoka.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:31 pm

He probably watches enough to know that when a bunch of anime fans say his Eva films are shit & can't compare with whatever show is hot at the moment he can feel safe in knowing the fans have no fucking clue what quality is.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:45 pm

He probably watches toku shows mostly. He did like Madoka but from what I can tell he only saw it afterwards when it became phenomenom. In other words he didn't follow it live in tv. In general I can't imagine Anno following many if any late night anime series.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:59 pm

does he watch any live action television other than toku shows?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:06 pm

Gundam replays lol

Honestly, I don't know. Now I actually based the toku bit on what seems to be trustworthy source:

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:48 pm

man, i can't wait until the english version gets published.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Never watched it myself, but didn't he mention somewhere that he liked Battlestar Galactica?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Now that you mention it I remembered reading something like that.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:43 pm

He even did promo events for it

"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:33 am

My "suspicion" (as if this wasn't obvious) about Anno fanboying like crazy over 2199 got solid evidence behind it today when I stumbled upon Anno's gushing on official Yamato 2199 page:

We've received message from Hideaki Anno!

-- What kind of impressions did you get from watching Space Battleship Yamato 2199?

Anno: Space Battleship Yamato is the anime I look forward to the most right now. Each moment until next installment feels like eternity, I want to see it as soon as possible and it's the only anime about which I feel like this. Right now I only want to watch this anime.

I really do feel like that.
Look forward to Yamato 2199!
Bucchan (Chief Director Yutaka Izubuchi) is really great! Fantastic!

This was first generation Yamato fan Hideaki Anno, over.

-- Television broadcast has been decided and we'd love to have a message for the younger generation too.

Anno: Though 2199 is starting on television I'd like to say one thing to youngsters who haven't seen Yamato yet, that is, before watching Yamato 2199 they should watch original Yamato. When you watch Yamato 2199 after seeing original it's truly good experience. This is the "golden rule".

It's been released on DVD and BD by Bandai Visual so anyway first watch original Yamato, please.

It's obviously pretty old interview but :lol:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:53 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:It's obviously pretty old interview but :lol:

Wouldn't that interview be from 2012 or early 2013 the latest? That's not that old. :tongue:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”