Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NIkkolas
Adam

Best English Dubs

•      
  •      

Postby NIkkolas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:25 am

Well I am a dub-only kinda guy more or less by necessity on account of my eyesight. Even still, I think English dubs can be very good and just as entertaining as the original.

I was just wondering what dubs people here think are the best in all of anime?

Obvious choices would include Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop. However I'd like to say Yu Yu Hakusho is another big contender. It's hard to believe FUNImation did that not too long after dubbing Dragon Ball Z.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:26 am

Cowboy Bebop all the way. I dare say the English dub is better than the Japanese.

I didn't mind the Evangelion dub, as terrible as it can be, at times. Hellsing also had, IMO, a good dub. Gurren Lagann, too.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:00 am

Every Studio Ghibli British theatrical release I've heard has had a good dub -- Arietty and Poppy Hill in particular.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:08 am

Black Lion, Golden Boy, and Shinesman.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:21 am

Ghost in the Shell: SAC and 2nd Gig. The English dub was vastly superior to the Japanese dub in both these cases.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:31 am

Baccano!

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Ghost in the Shell: SAC and 2nd Gig. The English dub was vastly superior to the Japanese dub in both these cases.
People say that, but the fragments of US dub that played on the DVD menu screens were enough to drive me to the Japanese audio, post haste.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dr. Talos
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Talos » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Samurai Champloo had a pretty great dub and Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze weren't half bad. I also quite enjoyed the Darker than Black dub.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:28 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:People say that, but the fragments of US dub that played on the DVD menu screens were enough to drive me to the Japanese audio, post haste.

Same.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:30 pm

I second that Studio Ghibli dubs are good.

I actually watched Eva dubbed first, so I don't dislike it. In fact, the NTE dubs are fantastic. Other things I like dubbed: Gankutsuou, R.O.D. the OVA, FMA, Full Metal Panic, IGPX and Eden of the East (I personally find that dub to be much better than the sub).
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:50 pm

I always watch a dub if available, so I can't compare with originals. However, no dub has ever offended me, whereas some subs have sent me crawling up the wall.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

NIkkolas
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby NIkkolas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:11 pm

I watched all of Zoids Chaotic Century/Guardian Force so I too can tolerate a poor dub. (although there were one or two glitterings tars in that dungpile) The only dub that has ever offended me was Angel Sanctuary. Crispin Freeman as Rosiel should have been perfect but he sucked just like everyone else. When Crispin Freeman can't even do a good job, you know the production is total trash.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:41 pm

I've always had a soft spot for the Fruits Basket dub. There's also Koi Kaze to consider.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:46 pm

I always thought that the dub of Akira was pretty good.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 pm

View Original PostDr. Talos wrote:Samurai Champloo had a pretty great dub and Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze weren't half bad. I also quite enjoyed the Darker than Black dub.
I only watch Champloo dubbed. Haibane's is pretty competent and Texhnolyze' english cast nails the deadfish delivery.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I always thought that the dub of Akira was pretty good.

It should be, in that it's a second effort to replace the first-published one (though naturally, the old one has its adherents). I've tried both and have a mild preference for the second dub - though I understand the main gain is in accuracy rather than naturalness.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:54 am

I too saw Ghost in the Shell: SAC in the English dub - I'm referring to both series, the OVAs, and the film - and although the cast for the OVAs and the film is different, I don't think I noticed enough to say I preferred one or the other. Both were okay.

On the other hand, the last time I saw the Oshii GITS films I had the subbed experience... and I slightly preferred the English dub for the first film (I don't like yellow subs), and the English dub for the second film - which has the SAC series' cast - is much easier to follow than the subtitles.
Voluntary Illusion.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 am

Hetalia has a pretty good dub, in fact I prefer it to the Japanese, although I think this is because of the particular brand of humour, which benefits from listening in your own language.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:35 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:On the other hand, the last time I saw the Oshii GITS films I had the subbed experience... and I slightly preferred the English dub for the first film (I don't like yellow subs), and the English dub for the second film - which has the SAC series' cast - is much easier to follow than the subtitles.

I have the dubbed version of the first film, and it's decent. It helps that the first film is very good too. The second film - I assume you mean Innocence here - sucked so horribly that I didn't give a damn about the dubbing. But that's for another topic.

I also have the old Akira dub, the late 80s one. Probably because I miss those accents (I used to watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when I was a kid) I actually like the 80s dub! :hahaha:

As for FMA, I do have a mild preference for the dub - not that much, but it's there. Now that I see Gankutsuou mentioned I haven't seen much of either version - Japanese or English - but I certainly miss hearing the (mispronounced) French at the start of each episode. Even if it's heavily Japanese-accented, hearing "Mesdames et messieurs, bon soir." sounds rather classy, far more so than the slightly French-accented English in the dub.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:36 pm

I don't watch dubs too often, but from what I remember, Haruhi (for the most part), FLCL and Cowboy Bebop's dubs are good. Ghibli films are usually good, too.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Anime and Manga”