The Defilement of Asuka Langley Soryu [Discussion]

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:35 pm

That's true. People coming out of nasty injuries or paralysis have to go through intensive physiotherapy to function normally; even not being able to use your legs for a few months due to injuries means you have to learn how to walk all over again as the requisite muscle memory is out of shape.

I did some research into that topic as I intend to use it in one of my Eva fics.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Exactly. Imagine what would happen if you suddenly had a whole new set of limbs to work with, much less three sets.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:46 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:That in itself is a pretty big assumption and handwave. You certainly could do that, if you wanted to, but that's certainly not how reacquainting with previously dead or restrained limbs work in real life. Simply having a nerve cluster or a connection to a limb doesn't mean that a person innately knows how to work their limb.

You're talking about real life in reference to a story about a character who magically gains six limbs as a result of molestation by an extraterrestrial entity. Just sayin'.

Besides, if trying to build story potential, why ignore something that could add an interesting subplot?

Because it could be interesting either way. I'd rather the story focused on psychological reactions to the whole ordeal rather than subject the audience to the tedium of watching her learn how to move.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Yes, it is a story about magically gaining six limbs. Which is fun for conjecture. That being said, why try to justify her ability to use those limbs with nerve clusters and psychological conditioning? If you're gonna do that, why not address the potential problems of having six limbs (since you've given them a 'scientific' explanation)? Why not just leave it at 'a wizard did it' and be done with it?
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Say guys... why are we talking about that fic again?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Because someone must, ElMariachi. Someone must.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:10 pm

There are other problems besides nerves. Your arms are where they are for a reason- flexion and extension of the arm and the movement of the hands and fingers are accomplished by muscles in the arms themselves, but large movements all come from muscles in your trunk. Arranging the muscles to replicate the function of the trapezius and lats and such for multiple sets of arms would basically be impossible, unless her back is going to be three feet thick. She's also have to have a set of pectoral muscles for each arm, layered on top of her abdominals and obliques, I guess- so her stomach would have at least three, maybe four layers of overlapping muscles.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:13 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:There are other problems besides nerves. Your arms are where they are for a reason- flexion and extension of the arm and the movement of the hands and fingers are accomplished by muscles in the arms themselves, but large movements all come from muscles in your trunk. Arranging the muscles to replicate the function of the trapezius and lats and such for multiple sets of arms would basically be impossible, unless her back is going to be three feet thick. She's also have to have a set of pectoral muscles for each arm, layered on top of her abdominals and obliques, I guess- so her stomach would have at least three, maybe four layers of overlapping muscles.

This is why I said she should technically be segmented.

Gob: Wasn't that my argument? A wizard did it, move on.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:20 pm

As Asuka Langley Soryu awoke one morning from uneasy dreams she found herself transformed in her bed into a gigantic insect.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:04 pm

That would be "The Metamorphosis of Asuka Langley Soryu", though.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 pm

I don't think Kafka and Evangelion would mix too well.
the prophecy is true

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:02 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Say guys... why are we talking about that fic again?

:rulez:

Other Disruptive Posting, paragraph #1 wrote:Other forms of disruptive posting include making open statements that the topic is not worth discussing (One old but infamous example being "inb4lock") or continuously making negative or off-topic comments that lower the quality of discussion while contributing little or nothing. As such, this sort of behavior is judged mainly by its effects rather than by stated intentions.
Last edited by NemZ on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:15 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:As Asuka Langley Soryu awoke one morning from uneasy dreams she found herself transformed in her bed into a gigantic insect.

Segmented is more interesting when it doesn't involve insects (or, for that matter, arthropods of any kind) IMO, but YMMV.

For those interested, dragons painted by Michael Whelan tend to get this right, with this being a particularly striking example (albeit with only one extra set of limbs).

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:18 am

Gob: Wasn't that my argument? A wizard did it, move on.

Which...wasn't at all the point of what I was talking about. I find trying to figure how something like this works is fascinating. Why is that so irritating to you?

Come on, Chuckman...Kafka and Evangelion were made for each other!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:15 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Which...wasn't at all the point of what I was talking about. I find trying to figure how something like this works is fascinating. Why is that so irritating to you?

Because the interesting thing about the story, as with all Eva fics, is looking at how the characters react. Learning to move/physical therapy is dull by comparison.

(or rather, it might be interesting for its own sake, but you could do that anywhere. When looking at it in the context of an Eva fic that seems a needless distraction to me.)

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 pm

So when is this fic going to be updated? I thought the impression was that it would be soon?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

PanzerEVA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:45 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:So when is this fic going to be updated? I thought the impression was that it would be soon?
The author has been in contact with me (seeing as I brought it to EVAryone's attention) and has been giving me news so to speak.

Initially, the next chapter was imminent, but it is now delayed due to problems with his internet connection.

He also warns of his mates very wierd Omake that will be in it.
My favourite quotes:
'Silence is a Virtue' - Benjamin Franklin
'War. War never changes' - Fallout 3
'CONKERS!' - Me
'Don't always believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it' - Abraham Lincoln

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:12 am

View Original PostPanzerEVA wrote:He also warns of his mates very wierd Omake that will be in it.

Uh oh.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Yeah, I read the omake. It's....uh....yeah.....

:jawdrop:
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:54 pm

It's not Asuka-x-Mari sex, is it? That might redeem it, if it was written in a style that makes JRR Tolkien look like EL James (not that it's tame, but because it's a masterpiece, which is nearly impossible).

Return to “Fanfiction”