What anime are you watching right now? May-Nov '13

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Atropos » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Halfway through Gasaraki, and I actually do want to talk about this show. Not because it's good, but because it perfectly encapsulates what mecha anime became immediately after NGE.

As I said, it's not a good show. The best thing I can say about it is that it's no longer boring - after we got out of the desert things started to pick up. However, there is one huge flaw, and that's the protagonist. If Gasaraki were to be Evangelion, then Yushiro would have to be Shinji, and he simply isn't. It's not a case of his personality being different, it's that the show only makes rudimentary attempts at exploring his character. He's more like the protagonist in a visual novel than an actual character. Our co-protagonist Miharu is little better; she's basically Rei if nobody ever did anything interesting with Rei.

As for other factions: Symbol was introduced early on, but they've done little that I can remember since - as far as I can tell, they've only been named once by Miharu. The other members of Yushiro's squad are a little better-developed than he is; take away the faces and names and I could still guess who was saying what. (I couldn't name names, of course - anyone got a cast page?) Yushiro's siblings seem pretty flat so far, with the exception of Kizukiyo, who's had some interesting character development. Misuzu has been one of those insufferable "ONII-SAMA!!!!" chicks so far, but she was on the DVD cover art so she has to be important.

As I said at the beginning of this post, Gasaraki perfectly encapsulates what anime was like immediately after Eva, and that's not a good thing. It's the same problem that has affected children's literature: everyone wanted to be the next Harry Potter, so they put out tons of "kids on magical adventures" books without paying attention to how good they were. Similarly, in the wake of NGE, studios were willing to greenlight anything that even sounded like Eva in the hopes of leeching off of its success. Sometimes it worked well (RahXephon) and sometimes it didn't (Brain Powerd).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I love how they included the director Goro Taniguchi just so they could have him go insane and die.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Okay, so Hellsing Ultimate I-IV isn't really what I thought it would be. I was expecting something a little more like the Hellsing anime; this show seems to be mostly about the action and blood, and very little about the characters themselves. In terms of personal preference, I think I like Hellsing better. However, I am not here to bitch about the differences between the two. I am here to sing praises for Hellsing Ultimate, since I have gotten over the fact that it isn't the show that I wanted to see.

Animation is great. There's a little part of me that likes non-integrated CG, so whenever I get some of that, it's gorgeous. I love what they were able to do with the vehicles and guns; being able to see those in CG is a nice change of pace.

The story?
SPOILER: Show
Nazi Zombies, man. That's pretty awesome. While I don't feel that it has the same depth as Hellsing, it's still a fun story to watch and enjoy. I simply enjoy it in a different manner than I did Hellsing.

TL;DR (you lazy assholes) It's time to go buy Hellsing Ultimate V-VIII.

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:15 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Nazi Zombies, man. That's pretty awesome. While I don't feel that it has the same depth as Hellsing, it's still a fun story to watch and enjoy. I simply enjoy it in a different manner than I did Hellsing.

You should read the manga; it's so freakin' good - Hellsing Vol 1 is one of my most prized possessions >:)

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:19 pm

Ultimate is loyal adaptation of manga so there isn't any real reason to go and read it if one watched Ultimate.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Asides from the fact that one is manga and one is anime, yeah. There's a difference between watching something and reading something.

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Ultimate is loyal adaptation of manga so there isn't any real reason to go and read it if one watched Ultimate.

lolwut

you really wouldn't read that?

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:57 pm

^Read what? I don't see a single word.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:04 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:lolwut

you really wouldn't read that?

Why would I when I've seen it with movement, sound and music added? That's my point. If one has read the manga beforehand one can enjoy Ultimate as ultimate fanservice of seeing all the over the top gory action scenes in movement. If one goes straight for Ultimate there's very little reason to go back to manga since it's more the same, except it lacks colour, movement, sound and music!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:06 pm

I guess I'm just a weirdo like that. ^_^ I've always loved reading, even though it doesn't have all of the awesomeness of an anime/movie.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:37 pm

You have to admit Ultimate Sera Victoria is WAY better than the first anime. She is badass :sniper:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:57 pm

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:I actually like this without playing the game. I though it was going to be retarded, but it's pretty entertaining. Something like this isn't my type of game so I wouldn't want to play it. :ehh:

well I am glad you like it without having had played the game but I dunno they are honestly cutting out a lot and have spent no real time on character interactions which is the best part about the series and makes it all the more heart breaking when they get murdered/executed. They really didn't spend much time developing the characters who died in chapter 1 while in the game they got much more (nothing in comparison to characters who survive late game but more than what they go in the anime, since they seem to be skipping social links altogether)
I'd say give LP a read http://lparchive.org/Dangan-Ronpa/. Dangan Ronpa is honestly something I can't recommend enough to people. Everyone who i have showed it to has loved it even my friend who is a major westaboo and hates Japan liked it a lot I just want people to get the full experience. but still I am glad to hear people who haven't played the game have gotten enjoyment out of the show in anycase :lol:

also for got to mention in my post about how they censored million fungoes so much I doubt they are going to censor the other executions since they aren't as brutal as the first, the only other one I can see getting censored is trial 6's
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:30 am

It took me while to realize this, but now I know why Hataraku Maou-sama felt slightly familiar to me - the show is giving off definite Irresponsible Captain Tylor vibes. Both are plot-driven comedies with legit character development, and in both shows the main character also serves as the central mystery element. In Captain Tylor both the supporting cast and the viewers get to wonder whether Tylor is a once-in-a-generation Yang Wen-li type of genius or just a stupidly lucky doofus. In Maou-sama we have this seemingly bizarre disparity between a bloodthirsty conqueror and a guy so nice he seems to genuinely enjoy working at McDonald's. Both shows also feature plenty of classic-type tsundere antics, outrageous reaction faces, fast-paced bickering, career frustrations, jokes at the expense of overblown loyalty and also deeper themes of institutional corruption (just compare the scheming church fathers with Raalgon government's war faction).

One big difference seems to be that Maou-sama is a "normal" adaptation of apparently quite decent source material, and hence we have to wait for a possible continuation with our fingers crossed, whereas Tylor was a very bold reworking of apparently pretty lame source material into an inspired and cleanly self-contained work (screw the OVAs). So if Maou-sama's brand of comedy-adventure is your thing, definitely check out Captain Tylor. I'm plugging the show shamelessly because it is an overlooked classic from the early nineties, and it has, among other things, a monster awesome soundtrack by Kenji Kawai.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:27 am

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:I like both grills very much, I really do

I simply had to.   SPOILER: Show
ImageImage

Beat that, IO.
    Both are hot, but Sheryl has more meat where it counts.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:09 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Sheryl has more meat where it counts.
my sides have joined lalah sune in the vast expanse of outer space

That aside, I only have 3 episodes of Arakawa left. I'm going to cry.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:22 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Beat that, IO.

I have lost

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:01 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Both are hot, but Sheryl has more meat where it counts.

Reminds me of this quote that I discovered is from a movie I haven't seen, Pat and Mike, with Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. Tracy's character is talking about Hepburn's:

Watching Pat walk away, Mike comments to his partner, "Not much meat on her, but what's there is 'cherce'." [choice]
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:06 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Both are hot, but Sheryl has more meat where it counts.

I'm more concerned about the fact that Sheryl doesn't have the mustard.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:34 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:I'm more concerned about the fact that Sheryl doesn't have the mustard.

Well, y'know, she can't cut it. That's why Ranka is best girl. :devil:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Pfffft, all of you are wrong as the best Frontier girl is Klan-Klang.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:33 pm

View Original PostJune wrote:Pfffft, all of you are wrong as the best Frontier girl is Klan-Klang.

Klan-Klang is pretty bitchin', not gonna lie.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Old Stickies”