"Category: Music" Overhaul

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

"Category: Music" Overhaul

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:33 pm

((My first topic, woo!))

Alright, ever since I first came to this wiki, I noted how very scarce the music section is. It is my intent to flesh this section of the wiki out much more. I'm sure I can manage this mostly on my own, but I did have a few questions about making some of these wiki pages. For one, I know that a lot of information about the individual CDs can be found on wikipedia. I would obviously not just copy and paste, but is it a generally acceptable practice to get some of these facts from there? This will mostly be for some of the more technical details, since my knowledge of EVA music is pretty extensive on its own.

I don't know if this is a good place for this, but I'm posting it here since the discussion pages on the music section of the wiki are all unused. The point is, I'd like to use this thread as a place for feedback as I work on this section, as well as a place for me to ask you all for advice. For example, I am eventually planning on making individual pages for certain songs off of the soundtrack, as long as the track has something interesting to note about. In particular, I'll note if the song contains a particular musical motif found in other songs. In naming these motifs, I'll usually default to the song the motif is featured in first. But for the example of "DECISIVE BATTLE," I'd note that the song is a combination of John Barry's "007 Theme" and... a motif I don't have a name for. I'm thinking of calling it the "BEAST II" motif, since it figures prominently into that song, but I'd be open to any suggestions. Anyway, that's just one example for now. In the future, any questions I think you guys might be able to help out with I will bring here. Thanks!
Last edited by Sephizim on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Re: "Category: Music" Overhaul

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:40 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:((My first topic, woo!))

Alright, ever since I first came to this wiki, I noted how very scarce the music section is. It is my intent to flesh this section of the wiki out much more. I'm sure I can manage this mostly on my own, but I did have a few questions about making some of these wiki pages. For one, I know that a lot of information about the individual CDs can be found on wikipedia. I would obviously not just copy and paste, but is it a generally acceptable practice to get some of these facts from there? This will mostly be for some of the more technical details, since my knowledge of EVA music is pretty extensive on its own.

I don't know if this is a good place for this, but I'm posting it here since the discussion pages on the music section of the wiki are all unused. The point is, I'd like to use this thread as a place for feedback as I work on this section, as well as a place for me to ask you all for advice. For example, I am eventually planning on making individual pages for certain songs off of the soundtrack, as long as the track has something interesting to note about. In particular, I'll note if the song contains a particular musical motif found in other songs. In naming these motifs, I'll usually default to the song the motif is featured in first. But for the example of "A Step Forward into Terror," I'd note that the song is a combination of John Barry's "007 Theme" and... a motif I don't have a name for. I'm thinking of calling it the "Beast II" motif, since it figures prominently into that song, but I'd be open to any suggestions. Anyway, that's just one example for now. In the future, any questions I think you guys might be able to help out with I will bring here. Thanks!

You could cite Wikipedia for the info, but if you are concerned about the authenticity of the info I would just follow the links Wikipedia uses for it's sources and cite those.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:50 pm

These pages should contain the factual, sourced material and not interpretations of the music. Specific interpretations should go into pages by themselves but should really be based from discussion first. There's not really all that much existing discussion but you can try searching and you'll get stuff like this: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=10026 or http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9519

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue May 14, 2013 6:21 am

After a recent thread of FreakyFilmFan4ever's, it occurs to me that we could also do putting the lyrics of several songs up on the wiki. If anyone has the free time to go on a lyric hunt and create a few pages, I can make a "lyrics" template to prettify things. (Don't let this stop you from adding lyrics in the meantime)
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:11 pm

*coughs* Boy, its been a while, eh?

Anyway, I have not given up on this idea. Even though I did absolutely no work on it before. I have some ideas on what I want to do, and once I roll out my suggestions, I would love feedback.

That being said, those suggestions will come later, once I'm a bit more organized with all of this. Really, my main reason for making this is to kinda announce my continued interest in this whole plan.

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:After a recent thread of FreakyFilmFan4ever's, it occurs to me that we could also do putting the lyrics of several songs up on the wiki. If anyone has the free time to go on a lyric hunt and create a few pages, I can make a "lyrics" template to prettify things. (Don't let this stop you from adding lyrics in the meantime)

This sounds like a good idea. I think all songs with lyrics should have a page that, at the very least, gives the lyrics. I feel this should also include the choral tracks from the Rebuild series. That will be one of the changes I hope to roll out soon.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”