Translation of Evangelion: 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
HEALTH_DISCO
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HEALTH_DISCO » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:48 pm

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:I can't remember the exact wording they used for Sakura's "Seriously, give us a break" line, but it was something like "Seriously, I couldn't handle that happening again." (If anybody here was at the Fantasia screening and remembers the exact words, feel free to chime in!)

It was "Seriously, I couldn't handle that again."

Other Changes :
01:26:04 {Mari} The Door of Guf still hasn't closed!
01:26:06 {Mari} So, Puppy Boy was Seele's insurance policy!
01:26:25 {Mari} Everything's wrapped up!

It was different words here and there but essentially it was the same. I'm sad they didn't show the preview of 4.0 at the end. :sniffle:

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks for the helpful commentary, everyone! Oh yeah, and I just remembered one other thing... the Fantasia subtitles translated Guf no tobira as "Gates of Guf". Personally, I prefer "Door of Guf" like in the GitHub version.
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:50 pm

So in the end, except for the "Brat Shinji" and "Four-eyed Crony" nicknames, Fantasia's subtitles seems to be the same than the French ones from Dybex(they even kept the "bitch" said by Mari! :lol: )

Now we just have to wait Nuke-kun notes of the Funimation subtitles in the SDCC!

Thank you again guys! :D
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:48 pm

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:Asuka called one of the Mk. 04s (I forget which one) a "prick" during the outer space battle. And later in the movie when the Mark.09 escaped with Shinji, Mari called the Mark.09 "bitch". -o-;

I'm assuming these are the instances and lines:
SPOILER: Show

In which case the insult parts are ごらぁ~!! for Asuka and おらぁー!! for Mari. My vague understanding is those don't have exact translations but part of a set of expressions that um...imply lack of respect to put it mildly. :lol: Since english and other languages don't have something similar I guess it gives license to the translator to pick a more specific but appropriately disrespectful word.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:54 am

Yes, those are the two instances Literary Eagle talked about, also I noticed that "prick" could be translated as "con" in French, meaning that prick is probably more appropriate than the "cunt" or "motherfucker" I used in my notes of the French translation.

Although I still didn't saw any equivalent of Shinji's "go all fuck yourselves" line! :lol:
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:39 am

ElMariachi wrote:Although I still didn't saw any equivalent of Shinji's "go all fuck yourselves" line! :lol:

Yeah, in the Fantasia version, Shinji simply said "Screw this". ^_^
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Okay, here are the notes that I salvaged.

In the first battle against the Code 4A, it's referred to as a "Code 4A entity". It's as if the 4A is truly unique to anything else. Also, some minor changes have been used in Asuka's manner of speech; as opposed to "This thing is just getting in my way!" (helmet), her line has been translated as, "Screw this helmet!" Personally, I think either one works. Also, the flappy things that the code 4B deploys have been officially translated as Field Reflection Panels.

Unit 02 is indeed now called "Unit 02 Improved". Also, the so-called Captain's Motto (Asuka's line when she deploys to start the Wunder's engine) has been changed to, "The target comes first, and human life is a distant second." It really shows a change in how we've been interpreting Misato; she seems not only to be cold towards Shinji, but in fact towards everybody. Interestingly enough, we see her communicate with nobody but Ritsuko and Hyuga for the entire movie. Food for thought. Finally, with Sakura's line, it's been translated as "I don't think I could take it if that happened again." Seen it before, seems consistent.

Fuyutsuki's line during the Shogi scene is translated to, "Checkmate in 31 turns." I like that translation, and I think I'll stick with it. The line about ReiQ's soul is translated to the seat of her soul being in a different place, which we've already seen before. Shinji's line about the spears is somewhat less corny, going from "Those are our spears of hope!" to "Those spears are our only hope!" To each his own; I don't give a crap. The Mk.09 is referred to as the Wunder's original master. Now I really want to know the origins of the Mk.09 and the Wunder! (Like I didn't before, duh.)

Okay, that's all I remember for sure. Derp.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks for taking and sharing your notes! :asuka_thumbsup:

An entity doesn't mean that there couldn't be other similar entities somewhere else, although Asuka was indeed surprised by the anti-AT Field equipment they used, like she never fought this model before.

To be fair, Misato's new motto already showed how cold she became : "prioritize the target over human life" was already very telling, and Misato is also seen communicating with Mari and Shinji(but not a single line exchanged with Asuka except during operation US)

And now that's the third time that Sakura's line is translated as "I don't think I could take it if that happened again." or something similar, so either the specific phrase for "Give us a break" was meant to be taken literally, or so far not one western sub company got the fact that it was a saying.

Now that you tell it, Shinji's designation for the spears in the French subs was also "Those spears are our only hope!", I suppose that the cornyness of "Spears of hope" really don't translate well to western language! :lol:

Just in case, did you remember what was the translation of Asuka's line when EVA-13 grabbed its two blades, did she said to Shinji to "do down" or to "die"?
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 pm

@ElMariachi: Her exact line was "Just shut up and let me kill you, Shinji, you brat!"

Oh, by the way, I can give you guys approximations on nearly every line from the film. They might be hazy though.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:52 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:@ElMariachi: Her exact line was "Just shut up and let me kill you, Shinji, you brat!"

:irked:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:53 pm

What, you no like Funimation translation?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:08 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote::irked:

I love that line personally.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:13 pm

But that meaning just isn't there in the original Japanese.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:51 pm

It's funny, I argued about a translation of that line early on but to see Funi screw it up even more...
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

AlphaGamma
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaGamma » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:12 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:It's funny, I argued about a translation of that line early on but to see Funi screw it up even more...

Srsly... I don't understand why they keep translating it like that. Do they honestly think Asuka wanted to kill Shinji? I mean, it seems clear that she doesn't want to.

The only explanation i could think of would be that they are referencing the "if you look, i'm going to kill you" in ep. 13 of the series... She even wrote it on the sign on the door to her room in ep. 23. But it still doesn't sound right in that context, especially not when she ends up actually saving him...
Way to give a skewed perception of the character to the viewers...

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:40 pm

It's probably a case of translators thinking it "just sounds better" because something like "Go down quietly" doesn't "feel right", possibly because it's not badass enough or something like that. Happens all the time.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:06 am

^

If that's the case, then we have been hit by an hard case of Woolseyism, but I still don't understand why then they didn't just made Asuka yell something like "Just shut up, Shinji you brat!", that still show the fact that she's completely unwilling to try to talk with Shinji, but without making her a murderous berserker.

Or maybe the western distributors felt that western audience won't take well the fact that Shinji pulled out the spears instead of surrendering(especially since his co-pilot was telling him to stop), and so changed Asuka's line into a murderous attempt to make Shinji looks like he's even more put against a corner : even if he followed Kaworu's pleas and stopped right here, WILLE was still hell bent on killing him, so there was no turning back possible.

But that made the final scene were she seemingly ran to check on him and later took him with her, thus saving his life, completely jarring, and there is the fact that during the fight Shinji made it clear that he didn't wanted to trigger 4I and Instrumentality(even though he was actually manipulated into doing exactly that), giving even less reasons to Asuka to want to kill him.

Nuke-kun, while your memories are still fresh, do you remember what was the translation of Kaworu's lines when he explained Shinji's role in 3I :
00:51:48 {Kaworu} Ikari Shinji-kun,
00:51:50 {Kaworu} once Awakened, Eva-01 opened the Door of Guf
00:51:55 {Kaworu} and became the trigger for Third Impact.
00:51:58 {Kaworu} Lilin call it Near Third Impact.
00:52:02 {Kaworu} It was all initiated by you.

and
00:52:10 {Shinji} All I wanted to do was save Ayanami!
00:52:16 {Kaworu} True, but that was the catalyst.

Also, the term he used to describe the FoIs while descending through the Main Shaft with EVA-13, and finally his line about Lilith's Chamber being the "epicenter/origin" of 3I?

Now, about Mari :
- what did she said about Rei Q "becoming/being absorbed" by Mark.09?
- just after that, was was her comment about Rei's "original"?
- Finally, what was her line while ejecting Shinji about "saving/helping the Princess"?

Finally, about Asuka again, what did she said when she opened Shinji's entry plug, her "you didn't come to save/help me"?

Thanks you very much!

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:18 am

Damn, was hoping that the translators wouldn't translate Asuka's line to wanting to kill Shinji. It is completely wrong, and takes the entire context of what happens later, when Asuka pulls Shinji out of the plug. She could have just left him to die.

But then again you could make the excuse that Asuka brought Shinji along with her because she didn't want Gendo to use him again. (But I doubt they thought that far.) Either way, as much as I love Funimation's work, the seriously need to translate Asuka's line as 'Stand down' or better yet, 'shut up you brat'. It's very inaccurate.

Say ElMariachi, did the French translate Asuka's line to asking Shinji to die too?
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:26 am

Nuke-kun, did Funi replace the Japanese telops (To be continued, Next Time Preview, etc) with English ones like they did for 1.0 and 2.0 or did they just subtitle the words?

How did Funimation render Misato's "Shinji Ikari, you don't need to do anything" line?

For those wondering about the content of Funi's DVDs/BDs, see here: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/405862/Funimations-Eva-DVDs-and-Blurays/#405862 and here: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/10999/Funis-111-DVD-and-Blu-Ray-missing-Extras-in-later-prints/I owned the 1.11/2.22 DVDs years ago. Right now waiting to get a BD release someday, maybe a 4-film boxset.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:38 pm

View Original Postkboyrulez12345 wrote:Say ElMariachi, did the French translate Asuka's line to asking Shinji to die too?

Yep, she also wants to kill him in the country of the cheese and wine!
Another explanation would be that she was so frenzied by the fight that she said that line without really thinking it, like when Shinji said that he "didn't cared about the world" when curb-stomping Zeruel.

I made a complete report of all the notes I took about the translation two pages ago.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”