[LAEM] Director?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:41 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote:Evangelion live action will never happen. It's way too complex. A studio exec will see the ending, be completely confused, and then pass on it and go with a live action Gundam instead.

I sure as hell hope so. I still don't see how hollywood or whatever would be able to pull off live action eva movies without turning the movie into some cliche love story with giant robots.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:50 pm

if thats what the majority wants, it'll happen unfortunately.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:01 pm

Fearthebait wrote:if thats what the majority wants, it'll happen unfortunately.

If they don't plan on keeping the original plot. Then forget about making it.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:32 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote:It hasn't been licensed yet, but my money is on ADV picking it up. They'll never be stupid enough to let the property fall into the hands of another company again. As for a dub, unless Bandai Visual gets it, then I would count on one.

And I probably wouldn't want to watch a version of the film that was put on the web one week after the release date. It would be some handheld video camera bootleg. I've watched a couple of those in the past, and it really makes it hard to enjoy the movie. Best wait for a fansub of the dvd release.

Not true, there are many ways now people can get near/at DVD quality films before/at the release of a movie.

I got a near DVD quality verison of "The Number 23" days before it even came out. Rebuild will be huge, we'll have a verison of it a few days before/at release date on torrent sites. It most likely won't be subbed, but it'll be there. I say it'll be dubbed within a day or two. It's only a two hours or so movie, and one that has such a hardcore fanbase will get results out fast.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:40 am

Millions Livio wrote:
BrikHaus81 wrote:It hasn't been licensed yet, but my money is on ADV picking it up. They'll never be stupid enough to let the property fall into the hands of another company again. As for a dub, unless Bandai Visual gets it, then I would count on one.

And I probably wouldn't want to watch a version of the film that was put on the web one week after the release date. It would be some handheld video camera bootleg. I've watched a couple of those in the past, and it really makes it hard to enjoy the movie. Best wait for a fansub of the dvd release.

Not true, there are many ways now people can get near/at DVD quality films before/at the release of a movie.

I got a near DVD quality verison of "The Number 23" days before it even came out. Rebuild will be huge, we'll have a verison of it a few days before/at release date on torrent sites. It most likely won't be subbed, but it'll be there. I say it'll be dubbed within a day or two. It's only a two hours or so movie, and one that has such a hardcore fanbase will get results out fast.

As long as it's understandable I'm all for it.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:52 pm

Millions Livio wrote:

I got a near DVD quality version of "The Number 23" days before it even came out. Rebuild will be huge, we'll have a version of it a few days before/at release date on torrent sites. It most likely won't be subbed, but it'll be there. I say it'll be dubbed within a day or two. It's only a two hours or so movie, and one that has such a hardcore fanbase will get results out fast.

With those kinds of pre-releases its usually hit or miss. Take 300 for example, the only released torrent is a crap quality camera view where you can hardly hear/see anything so I currently only use it to up my ratio. I was under the assumption that with how big 300 was among fans it would have a better quality version much sooner.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:49 pm

Fearthebait wrote:
Millions Livio wrote:

I got a near DVD quality version of "The Number 23" days before it even came out. Rebuild will be huge, we'll have a version of it a few days before/at release date on torrent sites. It most likely won't be subbed, but it'll be there. I say it'll be dubbed within a day or two. It's only a two hours or so movie, and one that has such a hardcore fanbase will get results out fast.

With those kinds of pre-releases its usually hit or miss. Take 300 for example, the only released torrent is a crap quality camera view where you can hardly hear/see anything so I currently only use it to up my ratio. I was under the assumption that with how big 300 was among fans it would have a better quality version much sooner.

Not exactly true, a few sites I'm a member of had pretty good verisons up as early as a day or so before it came out. It all comes down to who you know and your sources. Torrent sites like torrentspy.com have a lot more people than some of the closed community places I know of, however their dedication level and overall skill pales in comparison.

C4
Lilith

Postby C4 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Millions Livio wrote: I say it'll be dubbed within a day or two. It's only a two hours or so movie, and one that has such a hardcore fanbase will get results out fast.

It usually takes at least a solid month at best(and that's if you bust your ass) to get a dub out. They won't even have a script to work with until the movie comes out. Then you have to translate it, and figure out what translation you could come up with that would match both the original meaning and the mouths of the characters, and then you start recording, which is no small task in and of itself.

I usually don't follow these things, and the only specific number I can give you is that it took 7 months for the dub to come out for FFVII:AC, and I'm sure that's only a tad bit later than most dubs.

EDIT: Ignore my "at least a solid month" comment. No, rather, change it to "a solid three months".
Last edited by C4 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:00 pm

First volume of Higurashi is coming out in June 5th, and was licensed on March 5th. Some of that time was spent authoring the DVD and artwork, but that doesn't it can't happen parallel to the ADR.

Are you guys talking about Rebuild? (checks forum)

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:15 pm

C4 wrote:
Millions Livio wrote: I say it'll be dubbed within a day or two. It's only a two hours or so movie, and one that has such a hardcore fanbase will get results out fast.

It usually takes at least a solid month at best(and that's if you bust your ass) to get a dub out. They won't even have a script to work with until the movie comes out. Then you have to translate it, and figure out what translation you could come up with that would match both the original meaning and the mouths of the characters, and then you start recording, which is no small task in and of itself.

I usually don't follow these things, and the only specific number I can give you is that it took 7 months for the dub to come out for FFVII:AC, and I'm sure that's only a tad bit later than most dubs.

EDIT: Ignore my "at least a solid month" comment. No, rather, change it to "a solid three months".

Yes, I know; it was a typo. I meant "sub", not "dub"; "s" and "d" are right next to each other, my mistake.

Ornette wrote:First volume of Higurashi is coming out in June 5th, and was licensed on March 5th. Some of that time was spent authoring the DVD and artwork, but that doesn't it can't happen parallel to the ADR.

Are you guys talking about Rebuild? (checks forum)

We're talking about Rebuild, but it's pretty much canon to the same issue that will happen with the live action movies. Although the thread itself has gotten a bit off the original topic.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:12 pm

I'm curious why they don't make a separate script so they can begin translation while they're making the video. That way all they have to do is record the dub.

Then again, can't always get what you want.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:36 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:I'm curious why they don't make a separate script so they can begin translation while they're making the video. That way all they have to do is record the dub.

It is VERY rare that a studio will do a translation of their script in house, since their broadcaster (also a sponsor) only broadcasts for Japan and their distributor only distributes in Region 2. There's no money to be made unless a Region 1 company approaches them near the beginning of production and either helps with sponsorship (like Geneon and Geneon USA) and pays the licensing right off the bat. Otherwise, they'd be spending time and money on a translation in hopes that someone from whatever region that translation is for picks the show up. Even in rare cases, like Ergo Proxy, where from the beginning Geneon USA had the license and co-sponsored the production, it was up to Geneon USA to do the translation.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:44 pm

Ornette wrote:
Opteron-O3 wrote:I'm curious why they don't make a separate script so they can begin translation while they're making the video. That way all they have to do is record the dub.

It is VERY rare that a studio will do a translation of their script in house, since their broadcaster (also a sponsor) only broadcasts for Japan and their distributor only distributes in Region 2. There's no money to be made unless a Region 1 company approaches them near the beginning of production and either helps with sponsorship (like Geneon and Geneon USA) and pays the licensing right off the bat. Otherwise, they'd be spending time and money on a translation in hopes that someone from whatever region that translation is for picks the show up. Even in rare cases, like Ergo Proxy, where from the beginning Geneon USA had the license and co-sponsored the production, it was up to Geneon USA to do the translation.

I see what you're saying. Thanks for clearing it up :)

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:29 pm

We can always hope i guess. But knowing that there is a gap between the four movies i don't mind waiting for the dub.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:55 pm

Fearthebait wrote:We can always hope i guess. But knowing that there is a gap between the four movies i don't mind waiting for the dub.

I don't mind waiting either. I still have to get over this one before I move on to another one...
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:09 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Regretably I feel the possibility of an "Unneeded Live Action Hollywood Produced Eva" will depend on the success of Michael Bay's "Transformers" film.

(snip)

I guess in 8 years we'll be seeing it that for every Hollywood NOIR there will be 50 Hollywood Sailor Moons.

Oh well, no matter what happens I'll still have the Evangelion series and content in knowing I saw it and loved it BEFORE Halle Berry got involved.

Dude, I hope to Hell you’re wrong. Based on you anaylsis…

…again, I hope you are wrong.

Opteron-O3 wrote:
Fearthebait wrote:if thats what the majority wants, it'll happen unfortunately.

If they don't plan on keeping the original plot. Then forget about making it.

If it fails anywhere, it will be here.
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:52 am

This place is full of pessimists who don't even want to give ELAM a chance. If you're actually looking FORWARD to the movie, then you're better off taking your thoughts to the Trivialbeing forums.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:49 am

I thought this thread was about a possible director.

OH OH I HAVE AN IDEA!!!!

Mel Gibson. :twisted:

I'm kidding. :roll:
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:17 am

Didn´t see Apocalypto, but last time I checked, he has a knack for epics. Not sure that´s what we want here, but I do like his style.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:26 pm

slothen wrote:I thought this thread was about a possible director.

OH OH I HAVE AN IDEA!!!!

Mel Gibson. :twisted:

I'm kidding. :roll:
While Gibson's clearly got some serious issues (click here for his latest, ahem, blunder), he could pull off something like LAEM. While he would be in very different territory with biomechas and the Angels of Eva's stripe, he has not just a talent for epics, but anyone remember The Man Without a Face? The boy that Nick Stahl played in the movie was awfully reminiscent of Shinji, even down to the questions surrounding his sexual orientation (ROTFLOL!). But seriously now, if LAEM ever becomes a reality, and the odds of that are oh so low right now, the odds are even lower that Mel would want anything to do with this project. Even if, an even bigger if, the folks at Weta would actually want him involved, and Gibson took interest in LAEM, he would probably want to have a lot of artistic control and would then try to strong arm Weta with his bank account to get his way. I think Weta has a spine, and even with the old question of good vs. bad publicity, the Eva fan base nor even Joe or Jo Moviegoer would take kindly to this. Ooh, ooh, somebody quick! Photoshop Gibson to like Gendou! :lol:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”