Evangelion 3.0 screening in Montreal on July 20th

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

Evangelion 3.0 screening in Montreal on July 20th

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:30 am

Good news for people in the Montreal, Quebec area! The Fantasia International Film Festival just posted their schedule for this year, and they will be showing Evangelion 3.0 on July 20th! That's next week! Hell yeah! Is anyone else going?

The English subtitles used for Fantasia's previous Evangelion movie screenings were different from what Funimation ended up using, so it will be interesting to see what kind of translation differences will happen this time. For example, Fantasia's version of 2.0 subtitles translated Rei's famous poka poka line as "Ikari makes me feel warm and fuzzy, and I want to make him feel warm and fuzzy as well". :lol:
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:48 am

Augh, halfway across the country for me. :sniffle:

If you see a Vancouver date, please let me know!
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:17 am

Pass.

Had this happened before the BD came out it would have been worth the effort of getting up there despite being broke.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Angel of Will
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Angel of Will » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm so there.
"Reality exists in a place unknown, and dreams exist within reality. And Truth lies in your heart."

HEALTH_DISCO
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HEALTH_DISCO » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Oh My god I can't wait ! :D
I'll be there for sure !

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Sooo, can one of the people who will go there take some notes of the translation like I did for the French screening event?
I'm sure that it will be very interesting to compare them with the French subs and the Japanese lines.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

HEALTH_DISCO
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HEALTH_DISCO » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:13 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Sooo, can one of the people who will go there take some notes of the translation like I did for the French screening event?
I'm sure that it will be very interesting to compare them with the French subs and the Japanese lines.

It's not gonna be french subs.
http://www.fantasiafestival.com/2013/fr/films-et-horaire/226/evangelion-3-0-you-can-not-redo
Science Fiction / Fantastique / Animation - Japon/2012/96 mins/HD/Japonais + Anglais (sous-titres)

Désolé :\

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Not a problem, in fact it's even better : with that we will be sure that they didn't copied the translation from France, and the comparison would still be interesting.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Angel of Will
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Angel of Will » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:59 pm

It'll be my first big screen experience with Eva, so I'm likely to just sit back and enjoy. However, with some significant lines I tend to notice and remember later.
"Reality exists in a place unknown, and dreams exist within reality. And Truth lies in your heart."

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:03 pm

...and my parents were literally JUST in Montréal :sniffle:

looks like i'll have to pass on this one; have a super great time for me :thumbsup:

Angel of Will
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Angel of Will » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:24 pm

So it was a cool and somewhat unreal experience watching an Eva movie in a large theatre with ~700 fans.

"Which of you have seen the original series?" *Applause*

"Evangelion's one of the best anime out there, ain't it?" *Applause*

"Anno's either a genius or a madman, am I right?" *Applause*

*Suggestive interaction between Shinji and Kaworu* -> Mass giggles

For anyone interested, the subtitles were generally different from the fansub. I did like the difference, as a slightly different wording here and there gave the chance to catch something different from certain lines (only the original Japanese can certainly carry all the meaning as intended). Some proper terms weren't on the dot, like Third Boy, or Unit 2 Improved, maybe because the subber wasn't entirely familiar with the film or franchise.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Seeing the movie on a big screen with big sound was so awesome! I had a lot of fun. For those who are curious about comparing Fantasia's English subtitles to the GitHub fansub, I made a post about it on the Translation of Evangelion 3.0 thread: click here.

Icosahedron
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Icosahedron » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:21 am

Indeed, it was great to finally get to see Eva on the (somewhat) big screen! Being in a room full of Eva fans was also great, most of the audience reaction was laughs and giggles (or even "Ewww" 's) during the Shinji-Kaworu scenes.

It's nice to see it confirmed that the subtitles were indeed different. They certainly felt different, although it was only the second time that I watched the movie in its full lengths, the first being the Blu-Ray with UTW subs. Little side-note: there was a typo at one point, sometimes like "The" being written instead of "They".

Speaking of which, for those who attended, was it the theatrical version or the Blu-Ray version that was projected? In retrospect, several scenes felt less detailed or plain-er than what I had seen before, however the fact they played their pre-show ads using an obvious Mac computer made we fear they'd only project the Blu-Ray out. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with it (we're still watching Eva on a bigger screen than usual, with better speakers and with lots of other fans), but it would be a bit cheap.

One last side note, the theater speakers definitely made me notice Eva 01's ambient breathing more during the Wunder scene.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:45 am

Icosahedron wrote:Speaking of which, for those who attended, was it the theatrical version or the Blu-Ray version that was projected?

The Mk. 04A didn't have an IPEA logo on it, so that means it was the theatrical version (3.0), not the Blu-ray version (3.33).

Angel of Will
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Angel of Will » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 am

Yeah, that's something I noted (the more powerful ambient sound).

What we watched was 3.0, the theatrical version.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”