So i recently did an evangelion marathon...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Noobsbane
Embryo

So i recently did an evangelion marathon...

•      
  •      

Postby Noobsbane » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:32 am

So i recently did an Evangelion marathon the platinum boxed set ( with direcotrs cut episodes) including the controversial episodes 25 and 26 + death and rebirth + end of evangelion in one sitting, only breaks were to change disc's, now i remember seeing a snip it or 2 of this show when i was a younger lad and through my recent spree of anime collecting i got the evangelion series and was so so so pumped to watch it, and now i know why i was told not to marathon the series

...my mind has gone to mush i cant even comprehend it i think its actually made me kind of depressed like seriously, what is my life, what is reality hnnnngh, What is the actual fuck am i doing with my life...

But in short lovely anime the re mastered version with directors cut are quite remarkable and well id suggest the series to anyone but Marathoning it without knowing what your getting into is a huge mistake....ive been walking around like an emotionless zombie for the past day now...

In short has anyone else done this and had a similar thing happen to them

Shinji "Why can't I dream that I'm alone"
Rei "That is not a dream that is a substitute for reality"
Shinji "So where is my dream?"
Rei "it is a continuation of reality"
Shinji "But where is my reality"
Rei "It is at the end of your dream"

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: So i recently did an evangelion marathon...

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:49 am

View Original PostNoobsbane wrote:Shinji "Why can't I dream that I'm alone"

I still don't know what this means.

Anyways, don't worry about it, we were all facefucked at the end of series.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Noobsbane
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Noobsbane » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:58 am

mmm it just really mess's with your head anime's like this with such a heavy physiological aspect to them are magnificent but i dont think anyone can watch this series without feeling a sence of as you so quaintly put it a face fucking :P, on a lighter note looking forward to the 3.33 english dub ? i watched 1.11 and 2.22 afterwards aswell and im undecided as to which one i like more to be honest

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Although I watched both movies once, I am waiting for all the movies to release before I make a decision like that. Anyways, since this is a chronological story, it's difficult to state which one is the best, due to (if the storytelling is good) all the events relying on each other in order to have happened.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:55 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I still don't know what this means.

Anno's an artist and he works in "giving shape to dreams", i think that is one of the two essential answers.

I'm kinda glad you mention the Jesus Bleibet Meune Freunde (or however it's called in that akward language) because eventually it grew up to be one of my favorite scenes in EoE and quite likely all of Eva as well, on par with Komm Susser Todd, "I. Shinji", Episode 4 or EoTV. I don't know if i can get into detail of why it impacted me so much but the sheer boldness of the scene and the double reading (as in, carrying a different meaning for an artist/creator than for an spectator) of the meaning or value of dreams, art and fantasy made it one of the most memorable scenes in anything ever.

Also, sometimes it seems i was the only person who didn't really feel "facefucked" when i finished NGE... Never marathoned it though.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Noobsbane
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Noobsbane » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:13 pm

I feel like Marathoning it just was a mistake i think it was abit of an over exposure method for me, you could say that the mixture of NGE + a lack of sleep was like me going to a lower and lower depth in an entry plug haha maybe ive become contaminated who knows :P

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:28 am

I marathoned that sucker once. Never again. That show is too crazy for that.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:52 am

I did this with a bunch of annons when /a/ streamed the whole thing a year ago. Much DEEP was had.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Yeah, I love the live action sequence. I think the longer version would have ruined the pacing.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:35 pm

View Original PostNoobsbane wrote:...my mind has gone to mush i cant even comprehend it i think its actually made me kind of depressed like seriously, what is my life, what is reality hnnnngh, What is the actual fuck am i doing with my life...

Yep. :coffee:

I've watched Eva four times now, every one of them a marathon like you describe. The only exception was the first time I didn't watch EoE till about a week after because I thought it was just a recap movie, and the third where I missed most of the first half of the series because it was part of the streaming marathon Fireball references.

Yea, that reaction of yours I quoted? Standard fare.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I marathoned that sucker once. Never again. That show is too crazy for that.

Marathoning it is the only way to go for me. It's like escalating on a drug, man. Once you start snorting Eva smoking it just ain't the same.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Ever since I fell in love with the series in March 2006 I've marathoned it once a year every March whenever I can schedule a day or two off. I call it my EVAversary. It's a mighty geeky, mind-melding experience. There's always a new discovery I make each time I've rewatched it.
Lately I'd added a Day Two which is when I watch the Rebuild films. What there is.

Don't know how long I'll keep up the EVAversary though... Maybe until 2016, my ten year marker, then do it every other year or so.

Gotta admit, aside from my own work I never thought I'd ever rewatch anything more than 3 or 4 times in my life. Eva proved me wrong though. It's a great thign to marathon.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:08 pm

View Original PostNoobsbane wrote:I feel like Marathoning it just was a mistake i think it was abit of an over exposure method for me, you could say that the mixture of NGE + a lack of sleep was like me going to a lower and lower depth in an entry plug haha maybe ive become contaminated who knows :P

Well, the first time I watched it I did exactly that... The only pause was a 2 or 3 week space when I got my hands on an EoE DVD, so you can't be that bad, considering that you had seen it before, I was a mind-virgin :facepalm:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Angel of Will
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Angel of Will » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:31 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I still don't know what this means.

My interpretation:
The first line might be Shinji specifically complaining that he is not alone at present to enjoy his fantasy, as Rei, Misato, and Asuka are there with him.

The crux of this quote for me rests in the last 4 lines. I think Anno is talking about agency here. Dreams represent imagination, possibility, the Will for a future, things that Shinji has trouble grasping. In fact, he uses 'dreams' as a means of escape, to avoid a reality which he has no obvious control over. Rei says that his dreams are a continuation of reality. Dreams, literally, and in the figurative way I just mentioned, are born out of our experiences. We live, and imagine where life will bring us, or where we can bring ourselves. We go to sleep, and the real gives way to the remembered, and the imagined.

Where is reality? Rei says after the dream, ultimately implying that there is an exchange between the two, and that cause is not one way. After sleep, we wake up again, and our interpretation of the past, imagination, and aspirations inform our actions and how we will face the coming day. If Shinji is to turn his life around, he needs to understand the give and take between him and the world around. The meaning of these lines, I think, are also spread out across many dialogues in End of Evangelion, and perhaps also the series. (Misato's speech about how Shinji needs to wake up and realize that he does have options, and Kaworu and Rei's speech at the end about the power of Imagination to create one's own future, as a couple good examples). They build the moral of the story.

As for the extended live action sequence, I'm a fan. In my personal concurrent cut of EoE (which I've linked as a YT playlist in the Concurrency Project thread), the set of 3 alternate realities shown to Shinji (the world where Shinji doesn't exist, the world where nothing but Shinji exists, and the perfect world) play out kind of like a Christmas Carol to me, with Adam, Lilith, and the human hivemind being his 'angels', teaching him something different with a trip to each one.
"Reality exists in a place unknown, and dreams exist within reality. And Truth lies in your heart."

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:33 am

View Original PostNoobsbane wrote:I feel like Marathoning it just was a mistake i think it was abit of an over exposure method for me, you could say that the mixture of NGE + a lack of sleep was like me going to a lower and lower depth in an entry plug haha maybe ive become contaminated who knows :P

If you managed to figure out that Yui was in Eva-01 the whole time, then you reached the minimum quota of understanding required. If you managed to follow what was going on in Third Impact, then you are a savant of some kind and should probably consider posting in the discussion forum. Either way, welcome to Eva.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:35 pm

View Original PostNoobsbane wrote:
...my mind has gone to mush i cant even comprehend it i think its actually made me kind of depressed like seriously, what is my life, what is reality hnnnngh, What is the actual fuck am i doing with my life...

Good thing you didn't go for the Rebuild movies right afterwards...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Well, well... another case of the "I've just done an Eva Marathon mode and experiencing something like never before" situation.

That is exactly how I felt after seeing EoE... but did not experience a Marathon of Evangelion (how can I? The series is complex! Hard to digest in one sitting!)
Good thing you didn't go for the Rebuild movies right afterwards...

Oh Good God, the thought of doing that right after that would be just... :scanners_head:

SPOILER: Show

... Makes sense to me.
Last edited by tomrule123 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:34 pm

You haven't truly experienced Evangelion until you've gotten a 4k monitor and watched the entire series simultaneously.

In Klingon
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:15 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Oh Good God, the thought of doing that right after that would be just...

It's worse now with 3.0 I imagine. Prior to 3.0 it was actually a nice change of pace to go from the descent arc to 1.0 and 2.0. Didn't change the mushiness of your brain but it at least left you on a hopeful note.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”