Asuka's Left Eye in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:39 am

View Original PostHaydenn wrote:Mind you anything is possible and it makes more sense than some other eva stuff out there (like anime....which is still ace) and would be very cool, i mean id expect more from Shinji considering all he's gone through, i mean the kid did awaken an eva and live in it for 13 years. Anyhow prob getting off the original topic too much isn't this about an eye or something?

The thread is about Asuka's contamination and her corrupted left eye, let's not drift too far from that.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:43 am

The thread is about Asuka's contamination and her corrupted left eye, let's not drift too far from that.

'potential' contamination and corruption i assume.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:54 am

Her hidden eye glows blue when she's angry or during Beast Mode(while it's supposed to glow green, like her other eye), and his bright enough to glow through the eyepatch, and said eyepatch is imbued with Angel Sealing runes, at this point I think we can safely exclude the 'potential' part of her contamination.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:50 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Her hidden eye glows blue when she's angry or during Beast Mode(while it's supposed to glow green, like her other eye), and his bright enough to glow through the eyepatch, and said eyepatch is imbued with Angel Sealing runes, at this point I think we can safely exclude the 'potential' part of her contamination.

Actually we can't. Like I said in my post. We don't know what is in her eye. It might have nothing to do with Bardiel and we certainly can't call it contamination. It could be an enhancement. There is nothing about her actions in 3 that would suggest "contamination".

Too much jumping to conclusions without any evidence on this board. Have you learned nothing from Evangelion over the past 15 some odd years? Anything you expect or think is certain can be instantly overturned without a character explicitly stating "Asuka is corrupted".

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:17 am

The conclusion may or may not be right; but evidence there is - in the form of the Angel-sealing runes on the eye-patch. I find it hard to imagine they were put there without reason, but you are free to suggest a different reason if you can find a convincing one!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 am

View Original PostLonecow12 wrote:Actually we can't. Like I said in my post. We don't know what is in her eye. It might have nothing to do with Bardiel and we certainly can't call it contamination. It could be an enhancement. There is nothing about her actions in 3 that would suggest "contamination".

Maybe it has nothing to do with Bardiel himself, but her eyepatch have Angel Sealing Hex runes on it, runes that have been created for the purpose of sealing the power of the Angels, so whether it's from an experiment made on her, from Bardiel or from something else, there is definitively something Angelic going on with her eye!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:47 am

Angel Sealing Hex runes on it

See you are all throwing that out. No their arnt!!! there are runes, not Angel sealing runes! Have you translated them? if so feel free to post it up and prove me wrong. the runes we know have an alphabet so it could be you have translated them and they say 'Seal....for ANGEL contamination' and if that's the case then please by all mean post the evidence. The runes are used on hypothesized angel suppression/repelling devices and even that's conjecture however secure it is (i agree that's what the devices are doing) However the runes are used in instances that have nothing to do with angel suppression. The runes are on the NERV logo now and just spell NERV they arnt sealing an angel in the wall. The runes on the DSS choker are the note to a piano piece. What evidence do you have that the runes on the eye patch have anything to do with angel suppression?

To sum that up. The runes are not 'ANGEL SEALING runes. The runes are seen on supposed angel sealing devices. Theirs a whole world of difference Lonecow12 hit the nail on the head, its about mystery and always has been with EVA and id say that's what the whole eye thing is, Anno loves to throw things like that in and they often amount to very little (plus you have to take into acount his moods and the regard he has for EVA which is all over the place.) You were never told what Ritsuko mouthed to gendo at the end of EOE for example

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:33 pm

View Original PostHaydenn wrote:See you are all throwing that out. No their arnt!!! there are runes, not Angel sealing runes! Have you translated them? if so feel free to post it up and prove me wrong. the runes we know have an alphabet so it could be you have translated them and they say 'Seal....for ANGEL contamination' and if that's the case then please by all mean post the evidence. The runes are used on hypothesized angel suppression/repelling devices and even that's conjecture however secure it is (i agree that's what the devices are doing) However the runes are used in instances that have nothing to do with angel suppression. The runes are on the NERV logo now and just spell NERV they arnt sealing an angel in the wall. The runes on the DSS choker are the note to a piano piece. What evidence do you have that the runes on the eye patch have anything to do with angel suppression?

To sum that up. The runes are not 'ANGEL SEALING runes. The runes are seen on supposed angel sealing devices. Theirs a whole world of difference Lonecow12 hit the nail on the head, its about mystery and always has been with EVA and id say that's what the whole eye thing is, Anno loves to throw things like that in and they often amount to very little (plus you have to take into acount his moods and the regard he has for EVA which is all over the place.) You were never told what Ritsuko mouthed to gendo at the end of EOE for example

Actually:
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/14278/Glyphs/0/?[/url]

Read TMBounty_Hunter's post. Glyphs and sealing pillars are definitely connected IMO.

Of course, they might not have any HUGE-MIND BLOWING-PLOT EFFECT.

Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:46 pm

yes, yes they are connected. The sealing pillars have glyph's on them so they are literally connected. That does not mean the glyph's are in and of them self in any way seals. They are an alphabet that's established, its writing. It shows it in the film. They appear plenty of times when clearly not in a sealing capacity, such as the nerv logo and you cant be implying that the word NERV on a logo, on a wall at the bottom of a near abandoned base has anything to do with sealing angels.

Im even open to the glyphs on the sealing devices actually contributing to the effect of the device, its a bit arcane but i could see it being the case. What i'm saying is you can take the glyph's off of the devices and scribble them down on say....a piece of paper and that would not make the piece of paper able to seal angels as if it were a taoist seal................................AND now im really annoyed i said taoist seal now cause it got me thinking and......well

SPOILER: Show
http://history.cultural-china.com/chinaWH/images/exbig_images/be3774a55bf8d3c9692d73707d9c6f14.jpg

looks familiar. (no idea how to post a pic)[/img]
Last edited by Haydenn on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:50 pm

Well, if i'ts not anything angel related........Just to look cool...? mechanical eye? Pretty lame.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:51 pm

@Haydenn There's also the fact that they're referred to as "Angel Sealing Hex Glyphs" (or something similar) in the Complete Records Collection....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:55 pm

The description is translated in the thread linked above:

Google gives 使徒封印用呪詛文様 as "Apostle Sealing curse pattern" so it seems to be the typical Gainax/khara Kanjiflood way of saying some straightforward as Anti-Angel Runes.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:05 pm

huh...... yes i am aware, all instances of things with glyphs on the are directly credited to Anno and the translation "Apostle Sealing curse pattern" that is just matter of factually assumed to be the typical Gainax/khara Kanjiflood way of saying some straightforward as Anti-Angel Runes is complete conjecture!

"Apostle Sealing curse pattern" to me that sounds more like the exact configuration of the runes or PATTERN is used for sealing, like say the words to a spell comprised of letters from an alphabet. That does NOT mean the individual letter, or glyphs are themselves anti-angel runes like he says, its a complete guess. "a possibly correct translation says this, so i've decided that it must mean this" thats all it is and it may in actually be the case but it is far from a FACT, its just someones guess based upon a slither of information and should in no way be set down as concrete truth. I've never said i don't think the glyph's on those devices aren't seals in fact i'm certain they are (the image in the book is of the pillars) but the glyph's themselves are just letters and numbers as far as the evidence presented.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Okay okay.
You got your opinions. For me it doesn't matter if it has something to with angels or not. Because it most likely won't have any effect on the plot or characters at this point. (And it would be kinda predictable if it was something really huge. Which is not Anno's style)

But it would be cool if it was something angelic.

Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:31 pm

But it would be cool if it was something angelic.

Amen.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Haydenn, you're doing it on purpose right?

This is the page with the list of the 88 existing runes in the Evangelion 2.0 CRC :

The title is 使徒封印用呪詛文様, shito fuuin'you mon'yoo or "Apostle Sealing curse pattern", "Apostle"(shito) being the Japanese term used to design the Angels.

So yes, these runes can be used to make fancy writing on walls or in neo-NERV logo because someone bothered to use some of then as a latin alphabet, but the primary function of those runes are the Sealing of Angels.

There is also in the CRC a term for the pillars : 使徒封印用呪詛柱, shito fuuin'you jusochuu or "Apostle Sealing curse pillar".
So the "Angel Sealing Hex Pillars"(which is a name keeping the Japanese sense but more clear to the ear) are composed of "Angel Sealing Hex Glyphs".
Clear?

Besides why would Asuka's eyepatch be embedded with these runes, to write something in a fancy alphabet? No if these runes are here and if Anno took the trouble to hide then in an half-second long scene, there is a reason for that.
Evangelion always had many questions left unanswered, but not something as big as why one of the main character have an eye that doesn't act like a normal eye.

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Why would Wille go through the trouble of making sure the runes on Shinji's choker make a song? It's just an Easter Egg.

Using stuff from a fan book and saying it is canon or confirmed to be true is a huge mistake. Nothing in the narrative in the film has confirmed the runes do anything one way or another.

We aren't saying it isn't possible, and in 4 sure enough, Misato could rip off Asuka's eye patch and say, "Behold the 18th Eyengle! Get it? We put these little runes on her eyepatch to seal it up, but now it's UNLEASHED!!!"

But until that or something like it happens, we can only speculate what they are.

Haydenn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Haydenn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:16 pm

ElMariachi i am as capable as you are at using google images thanks. The runes as mentioned by the DSS choker are letters in the roman alphabet, ill helpy you out with it (abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz) and a few other bit. That is the only in movie evidence of what the glyphs mean. Now the pillars let me try and explain it to you in a way you'll understand because you seem to be struggling with this:

I have a machine i have made to keep out spiders. I write on the wood "abra kadabra." That wood i call Apostle Sealing curse pattern. Now what im saying is this is a pattern that seals out spiders. "abra kadabra." is the seal however it is comprised of individual letters a.b.r.a ect and thoes individual letters are the glyphs. I then get an eye patch and i write 'eye' i have used the 'glyphs' but that does not mean that it is a seal against spiders.

There is no proof that the individual glyphs are seals against angels, the best you can come up with is some possibly correct translations and what someone else has decided to interpret that translation as with nothing really to back that than pure opinion. However in the ACTUAL film you see that each glyph actually represents a letter. I have no idea how you can go, oh there angel seals AND someone decided to give them a 'fancy' alphabet meaning too!!! I mean how do you get that?! fanboy opinion as a priority over evidence presented within the film itself?!

Besides why would Asuka's eyepatch be embedded with these runes, to write something in a fancy alphabet? No if these runes are here and if Anno took the trouble to hide then in an half-second long scene, there is a reason for that.

Are you kidding? simply put BECAUSE ITS EVA?! why did Ritsuko mouth something to gendo at the End of EOE? for half a second that Anno went to the trouble of putting in?! Its what he does, all the time!! Its not even like the runes where made just for EVA to be angel seals he lifted them directly from Nadia secret of blue water!

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/m/image/1367/85/1367851047343.jpg (still dont know how to post a pic

anyhow, i'm going to drop out of this thread now as it keeps swinging off topic and that's probably my fault as much as anyone. Fun chatting about this. Personally i think the Eye will amount to nothing but id be pleased to be proven wrong.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:41 pm

My personal hypothesis is that the "runes" are probably made up by the alphabet which the First Ancestral Race used, if they haven't been purged from NTE.

AlphaGamma
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaGamma » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:19 pm

View Original PostHaydenn wrote:I have a machine i have made to keep out spiders. I write on the wood "abra kadabra." That wood i call Apostle Sealing curse pattern. Now what im saying is this is a pattern that seals out spiders. "abra kadabra." is the seal however it is comprised of individual letters a.b.r.a ect and thoes individual letters are the glyphs. I then get an eye patch and i write 'eye' i have used the 'glyphs' but that does not mean that it is a seal against spiders.

There is no proof that the individual glyphs are seals against angels, the best you can come up with is some possibly correct translations and what someone else has decided to interpret that translation as with nothing really to back that than pure opinion. However in the ACTUAL film you see that each glyph actually represents a letter. I have no idea how you can go, oh there angel seals AND someone decided to give them a 'fancy' alphabet meaning too!!! I mean how do you get that?! fanboy opinion as a priority over evidence presented within the film itself?!

Are you kidding? simply put BECAUSE ITS EVA?! why did Ritsuko mouth something to gendo at the End of EOE? for half a second that Anno went to the trouble of putting in?! Its what he does, all the time!! Its not even like the runes where made just for EVA to be angel seals he lifted them directly from Nadia secret of blue water!

Truth be told, outside of some obscure religious symbolism, most of the smaller details in Eva have a meaning, one way or another. Stuff like the mindrapes and whatever Gendo said to Ritsuko in Eoe, may not be explicit or clear and leave the chance to the viewer to come up with a personal interpretation, that cannot be proven (indisputably) right or wrong (within certain boundaries...) but they are mainly relevant to the characters and not to the plot itself. It seems to me like the entire thing with Asuka's eye has been set up to have actual relevance to the plot and not to be some kind of easter egg.

Gonna try to list the hints that there may be something angelic in her (gathered from the discussion):
-In 2.0 we can see that Asuka's left eye was wounded after the Bardiel's incident, seemingly implying that whatever happened to her eye is connected to that incident (which involved an angel essentially talking control of her).
-Still in 2.0 (if i remember correctly) Ritsuko states that Asuka's mind may have been corrupted by Bardiel (even though she was physically all right).
-In 3.0 when her eye glows, it does so in a cross shaped, blue colored, pattern. Shape and color usually associated with angelic beings in Eva.
-Still in 3.0, it seems like runes appear on her eyepatch. Runes that seem to have been designed to seal angelic "powers" (ofc we can't know that for sure).
-The new plugsuit she wears has some weird details in it that may have something to do with her new condition:

The "core" of the plugsuit is blue (angel color) unlike everyone else's plugsuits (Mari, Kaworu, Rei and Shinji) that have a red "core".
The two parts of the suit in the chest region are of different colors (once again, something unique to Asuka). Both colors are used to indicate specific blood patterns in Eva (orange and blue). Link to the wiki article http://wiki.evageeks.org/Blood_Type.
-She breaks a thick glass panel (in a battleship) with a punch...
-She grows fangs when she goes in beast mode (i'm pretty sure Mari didn't, in 2.0).
(The last two points may have nothing to do with the incident and may simply be explained by the "Curse").

Add to those the fact that it seems to be quite likely that Asuka will get more screentime in 4.0 and that an angel contamination could easily provide some effective drama and, from my perspective, it would be very weird if the eye turned out to be a red herring. That said, it's true that there's no way to know for sure, but let's not even treat the "Asuka has been contaminated" theory as something far fetched.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”