[MANGA] [NGE] Sadamoto's take on Anno's mind games

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

[NGE] Sadamoto's take on Anno's mind games

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:05 pm

Ok, as Eva lore has it, a friend of Anno introduced him to psychology such as that of Freud and Jung mid-way through writing the show. This first manifests in the episode with Ireul. Sadamoto dodged the bullet and wrote that event out, as he could write his away around it.

I was a bit dissapointed by this, as I felt that the Angel encounters were instrumental in dictating where the characters would go in the show.

Ireul - Shinji confronts the nature of the Eva, and first begins to become aware of his mother in the Eva.

Arael - Asuka is confronted with her personal demons, rather than growing from it, spirals into madness.

Armisael - Rei confronts her Angelic identity, and sacrifices herself to protect Shinji.

It was not until Shinji's assumption into the Eva that Sadamoto began his take on Anno's "mind fucking" as some would call it. Rather than a disembodied dialogue between aspects of a person's psyche, Sadamoto paints a character's journey through a surreal environment.

Anno takes us inside a human mind, Sadamoto takes us through a representative dream world.

For me, Anno's mind games were what was so interesting about Evangelion, and Sadamoto clearly is to some degree at odds with it.

I'm not quite sure if I like how Sadamoto has been adapting Anno's concepts, but then again, you simply can't do what Anno did in a comic format.
Last edited by The Eva Monkey on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:13 pm

It's true that what Anno did cannot be redone.

Altho, I seem to think it would be pretty well done in Manga form, however. But then again, I'm a hopeless art lover.
The downside, is that there would be no room for all of the references that were packed into Eva during those seizurific image flashes.

The basic point is that Sadamoto is doing his own thing with the story and the characters that he created.
While it might not be as effective and powerful as the actual anime, it's still an interesting and original take on the idea.

Eva was meant to be the way it was as an anime.
The manga seems to break it all down and not have as much thinking involved.
Last edited by Asuka Langley on Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:44 pm

I assume you meant Leliel instead of Ireul. Ireul doesn't really involve Shinji or any of the pilots.
Last edited by Dave on Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:08 pm

My bad, I meant Leliel, my brain crapped out on me.

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:19 pm

The thing I'm wondering about is how the end of the series is covered!

The last two episodes of Eva were big favourites of mine.

Despite not really advancing the story, I loved how the characters came to terms with themselves (for the most part).

I don't know if the last volume has been released or not, but I'd like to see how Sadamoto and his crack team of manga heroes
cover the ending of NGE.

If it's already out and I've been under a rock all this time...

:shock: geez, someone please help me!
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

KaworuNagisa17
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KaworuNagisa17 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:35 pm

it did come out, Volume 9 did

I have no clue what happens in it, tho
Is Gendo Ikari gonna have to choke a bitch??

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:51 pm

:shock:
*gasp*

'Scuse me, I gotta go buy volume 9.

It'll be interesting to see Sadamoto's take on the ending...

yeah
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

kosure
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:30 pm

I know that we probablly all know this already but;

Sadamato said in the little interview thing in (i think) vol. 1, That he wanted to make an eva for thirteen year old boys. Something with a more subdued level of mind-fuck if you will. But then he realised that the content couldn't be dumbed down...

But thats it. He doesn't say where he decided to go with it. So maybe Sadamoto just has less issues with his mother?

Either way, I'm happy with it. Like I said in the Tea Scene thread. I'm gladd that there are diversions from the Anime. To me, it seems like there are two diffrent series. And as im sure we can all agree more of eva is always a good thing.
i think cosplay is a lot like communism, it seems like a good idea, but it never turns out the way you want.
Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:55 pm

KaworuNagisa17 wrote:it did come out, Volume 9 did

In Japan.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”