Favorite/Least favorite charas & why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:33 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Only vaguely related but i think i can see how Kaworu might inspire such a negative/uncanny valley reaction upon some people.

I'm not sure how one could pull that off with the animation medium. The Uncanny Valley is usually only related to CG or sketches.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Asuka. Because Asuka.

For a serious answer, I take sadistic pleasure in watching characters struggle. In that sense, she attracts me more than the other characters do.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:20 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I'm not sure how one could pull that off with the animation medium. The Uncanny Valley is usually only related to CG or sketches.

SPOILER: Show
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Dovah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dovah » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Ok, now I've changed my mind. My new favorite character is Unit-03 (Rebuild ver.), because it's got a nice helmet design and I love the red, black, and white paint-job it has.

If only it hadn't been infested, Asuka would have had it painted red! THEN, it would be amazing beyond belief...

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:07 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:

Granted, that's creepy, but I don't think that falls under UV category. It's too stylized.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:45 pm

View Original PostDovah wrote:Ok, now I've changed my mind. My new favorite character is Unit-03 (Rebuild ver.), because it's got a nice helmet design and I love the red, black, and white paint-job it has.

If only it hadn't been infested, Asuka would have had it painted red! THEN, it would be amazing beyond belief...

I always thought that Eva looked kinda cool.

Though I like the blue mask much more better.

It would look odd if Asuka painted it bright red.

Dovah
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dovah » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:57 pm

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:I always thought that Eva looked kinda cool.

Though I like the blue mask much more better.

It would look odd if Asuka painted it bright red.

I was thinking it could look better with dark crimson, or maybe maroon.

Anyways, my favorite human character is probably Shinji. The poor boy is so brave! He's done plenty of heroic things, but people only seem to notice his worst moments.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:01 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:I meant what I said, I can't stand him. Stay headless, Kaworu, you look better that way.

Man that stickied thread on /a/ really set me off but eh, obnoxious Kaworu fans.

...sorry :devil:

Though I did like the KaworuXShinji relationship in the manga, I wasn't that obsessed. I didn't see much attention to him that that board. Mostly just Asuka and Rei fans that are mostly vocal but I don't go on /a/ much. I thought the Asuka won fans were more annoying. I think I even saw some AsukaXKensuke shippers there.

I just didn't like how Kaworu was so calm with Shinji killing him. He just seems like just another person like Misato, Asuka and Gendo who expected too much out of him. Anno was ment to portray as a perfect person for Shinji which I'm not sure worked to me. I do think that he is somewhat responsible and the blame is in question for Shinji's mental state in EoE.

I thought Gendo was undeserving to win in the manga. He did get what he wanted after all. Not sure what happened in EoE but it doesn't look too happy living in an Eva.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:07 pm

View Original PostDovah wrote:Ok, now I've changed my mind. My new favorite character is Unit-03 (Rebuild ver.), because it's got a nice helmet design and I love the red, black, and white paint-job it has.

I know how you feel, I've always wanted to see Toji or Asuka fight the Angels in a badass mech like Eva-03. Damn you, Bardiel.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Asuka. Because Asuka.

Sounds like a valid reason to me. :asuka_thumbsup:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Nyanlathotep
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nyanlathotep » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Keel. When I grow up I wanna be the head of an ancient cult conspiracy man. I could just say ominous things all day for a living.
開いたばかりの花が散るのを
見ていた木立の遣る瀬無きかな

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:38 pm

View Original PostNyanlathotep wrote:Keel. When I grow up I wanna be the head of an ancient cult conspiracy man. I could just say ominous things all day for a living.

Become catholic priest then XD
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:46 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Asuka. Because Asuka.

For a serious answer, I take sadistic pleasure in watching characters struggle. In that sense, she attracts me more than the other characters do.

Shinji = Gone through a lot, dead mother, his father's an asshole, besides that, even though there are a few moments where he seems to grow up, in the end he just keeps whining about everything, he's always afraid of everything and thus he acts like a jerk with others.

Rei= Typical doll girl who couldn't ever do anything if his "puppeteer" wouldn't order her to do something, she'd do anything, she'd even suck your dick, yeah, even that.

Asuka = Same for Shinji, she's gone through a lot, however unlike Shinji, she's proud of herself, she tries to hide her weaknesses, she fights until the end, she never gives up and at least she tries to do something about her problems. This is the difference between her and Shinji.

This is FACT.

Also, what can I say about Kaworu? He just deserves more screentime, he's God, he isn't afraid of anything, even death, he's just like Rei, but he tends to be more extroverted and friendly with everyone unlike her, that's what I like of him.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:57 pm

But facts aren't everything...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:58 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But facts aren't everything...
Words aren't important, facts are.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:59 pm

View Original PostKatana wrote:Words aren't important, facts are.

well, that's just, like, your opinion, man...

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:01 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:well, that's just, like, your opinion, man...
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 pm

View Original PostNyanlathotep wrote:Keel. When I grow up I wanna be the head of an ancient cult conspiracy man. I could just say ominous things all day for a living.

Granted, Keel is a great character. He has money, power, and will. Of course, he's a raging asshat, but I can admire his drive.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:50 pm

View Original PostKatana wrote:
Asuka = Same for Shinji, she's gone through a lot, however unlike Shinji, she's proud of herself, she tries to hide her weaknesses, she fights until the end, she never gives up and at least she tries to do something about her problems.

By slitting her wrists?

I also can't stand Asuka's subtle attempts to get Shinji to like her. I mean, I know the laws of tsundere prevent her from saying it straight out, but she should have realised that he's as oblivious to hints as a brick wall early on.

Getting back on topic, Kaji forevs. I also like Kaworu, but since I saw Q and read loads of theories about his motives, I am beginning to doubt his benevolent nature.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:16 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:By slitting her wrists?

I also can't stand Asuka's subtle attempts to get Shinji to like her. I mean, I know the laws of tsundere prevent her from saying it straight out, but she should have realised that he's as oblivious to hints as a brick wall early on.

Getting back on topic, Kaji forevs. I also like Kaworu, but since I saw Q and read loads of theories about his motives, I am beginning to doubt his benevolent nature.
I didn't mention that almost every character is psychologically unstable, but everyone knows it anyway. Asuka tends to be like that because her "shell" breaks little by little, as I said before, she needs someone to comfort and help her, but Shinji can't do anything but ignore her.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”