[LAEM] Director?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:52 pm

The way this stink bomb of a project is going Brian Granveldt is probably going to be the director.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

Postby chiefen » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:47 am

Uwe Boll. Just for shits and giggles.
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:23 pm

William Wyler with Ray Harryhausen doing the creature effects.

That is, if this movie had been made 30-something years ago. ;)
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 am

Still no news on the director(s)... Come on, ADV, it's almost Spring '07! You said we'd know in the FALL of last year!

I know "no news is good news" and all, but this is rediculous. Really, if they haven't found a director by now, they should just tell us we have to wait longer, if ever. :P
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

C4
Lilith

Postby C4 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:14 pm

No news is never good news; we've heard a hell of a lot more about the Rebuild than we have on the live action movie, and the plans for the live action movie were announced much earlier. If the live action movies were supposed to be a condensed version of the series, I'd have to think that Rebuild, which is essentially doing the same thing in its first three movies(with some modifications) threw a wrench in their plans a little bit.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:37 pm

C4 wrote:No news is never good news; we've heard a hell of a lot more about the Rebuild than we have on the live action movie, and the plans for the live action movie were announced much earlier. If the live action movies were supposed to be a condensed version of the series, I'd have to think that Rebuild, which is essentially doing the same thing in its first three movies(with some modifications) threw a wrench in their plans a little bit.

Yeah, I'm beginning to be inclined to think that, too. It's just that this subject's been on my nerves for the past two months, so I had to rant in the appropriate topic eventually. Still, if ADV's putting it on hold because of Rebuild, they should tell us that instead of being secretive. It's just really irritating.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:34 pm

Here's a good one. Martin Scorsese. Out of left field? Maybe not. Think about that one for a little bit. 8)
myspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobigmyspoonistoobig... I am a banana!

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:08 am

ferrarimanf355 wrote:Here's a good one. Martin Scorsese. Out of left field? Maybe not. Think about that one for a little bit. 8)

mind warp...
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:06 am

Fearthebait wrote:
ferrarimanf355 wrote:Here's a good one. Martin Scorsese. Out of left field? Maybe not. Think about that one for a little bit. 8)

mind warp...

If you've seen The Last Temptation of Christ, you'll see that this isn't totally out of left field. 8)

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:56 pm

*PIPE DREAM*
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:43 pm

Martin Scorcesse would be too fancy schmancy. I'd rather have someone with an appreciation for geek culture, like Alex Proyas or Joss Wedon.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:13 pm

<insert overly acclaimed and probably bad choice director here>

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:14 pm

Millions Livio wrote:Personally, I don't think there is a mainstream director out there capable of doing EVA justice. They need to dig deep, kind of like they are with the Halo movie. They need someone that is good at what they do, has a niche for that type of stuff. For Halo they choose someone with skill, over someone with a name. They need to do the same for EVA, find someone that is good at producing psychological "mind fuck" movies, with talent. However, most of those people will most likely not get supported, as they'd "Burton-ize" it, turning EVA darker globally, not just in the psychological scenes. With the focus turning to the gore, and it being a bloodbath. That is the mind of a sadistic, that is the only true kind of person that do EVA any kind of justice; I know this because I am one.
It will not be canon to the anime, it's impossible for the anime to be completely ported to live action, and it has to be changed in some way. They'd either have to make the series rely less on the extremities, or make the main focus the extremities themselves. If they focused less on the darker part of EVA, it would turn into a futuristic ???Harry Potter??? movie with ???robots??? and conspiracy theory overtones.

I agree. It needs to have the same psychological "mind fuck" in order to get the same "taste" out of it per-say. I think they can actually go to the extremities without focusing into too much of the darker parts of Eva. Just as long as it gets into sufficiently to do it justice.

This will be a tough movie...
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ferrarimanf355
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ferrarimanf355 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:48 pm

Another good one: David R. Ellis. But only so the phrase "FROM THE GUY WHO BROUGHT YOU THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER" could be used on the promotional materials. 8)

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:38 pm

They could always have more then 1 director

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:09 pm

Fearthebait wrote:They could always have more then 1 director

Yea, since they have 3 directors that are big eva fans. Why not use all 3 lol
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:16 pm

They're going to get some hack like Paul W. S. Anderson or Uwe Boll. No self-respecting director will do this.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:19 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote:They're going to get some fucking hack like Paul W. S. Anderson or Uwe Boll. No self-respecting director will do this.

Like I said, they have 3 directors (big eva fans) wanting to do it. They may not be recognized, but as long as they do Eva justice, we'll recognize them :)

I hope they're able to pull this off with LA Eva.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:20 pm

It won't work, they all have their own vision, style, and taking away from that would make the trilogy very inconsistent. You can get away with stuff like that with anime (a la Anno having the guy that did the sunken Japan movie directing that part of the movie). However when it comes to film that just doesn't work. Think of Burton as an example, almost all of his movies are very darkly shot. Lighting, scenery, costumes, everything is dark and normally grayscaled. Picture him doing part of the movie, and someone else doing another part, it'd be night and day... literally.

Of course the contrast most likely wouldn't be that great, it'd not be a good flowing movie, lead alone a trilogy.

Opteron-O3 wrote:
BrikHaus81 wrote:They're going to get some fucking hack like Paul W. S. Anderson or Uwe Boll. No self-respecting director will do this.

Like I said, they have 3 directors (big eva fans) wanting to do it. They may not be recognized, but as long as they do Eva justice, we'll recognize them :)

You obviously do not know the unrealistically vivid horrors of Uwe Boll....

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:25 pm

Millions Livio wrote:
It won't work, they all have their own vision, style, and taking away from that would make the trilogy very inconsistent. You can get away with stuff like that with anime (a la Anno having the guy that did the sunken Japan movie directing that part of the movie). However when it comes to film that just doesn't work. Think of Burton as an example, almost all of his movies are very darkly shot. Lighting, scenery, costumes, everything is dark and normally grayscaled. Picture him doing part of the movie, and someone else doing another part, it'd be night and day... literally.

Of course the contrast most likely wouldn't be that great, it'd not be a good flowing movie, lead alone a trilogy.

Opteron-O3 wrote:

You obviously do not know the unrealistically vivid horrors of Uwe Boll....

No, but please explain. :oops:
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”