Eva Action Figures [2]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Psychodrake
Embryo

Postby Psychodrake » Mon May 06, 2013 8:09 am

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Returning to topic...

The Eva 13 above is not a revoltech... They didn't bothered in including the Dummy Plug head :irked:

Yeah that's what I'm a bit curious about. I edited the post with a sort of disclaimer, it seems that the original poster on /toy/ wasn't sure as to where it came from, but people were in agreement that it was a Revo due to the joints. Regardless, it looks almost 1/1 to the Revoltech photo's we have minus gloss. It's possibly the prototype or a garage kit.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:53 am

View Original PostPsychodrake wrote:Yeah that's what I'm a bit curious about. I edited the post with a sort of disclaimer, it seems that the original poster on /toy/ wasn't sure as to where it came from, but people were in agreement that it was a Revo due to the joints. Regardless, it looks almost 1/1 to the Revoltech photo's we have minus gloss. It's possibly the prototype or a garage kit.

Hmmm... On a second grancle you may be correct...

I think the abdomen confused me (I mean, it's too good for a Revo XD )
We'll see when it arrives...

And now that I brought it up, why is there not a Dummy Plug head? I mean, they only had to do another one with red eyes :irked:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Shady91
Embryo

Postby Shady91 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 pm

look amazing the mate paint makes the diference

they look like some kind of dioramas, two more pics!
SPOILER: Show

only one shot

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon May 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Gonna be honest, I actually kinda preferred the slightly glossy finish on the stock photos. A gloss finish isn't an intrinsically bad thing (the Soul of Chogokin SPEC figures had a nice, shiny finish and they looked great) but some of the older Revoltechs look like they've been dipped in wax.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Psychodrake
Embryo

Postby Psychodrake » Mon May 06, 2013 2:06 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Gonna be honest, I actually kinda preferred the slightly glossy finish on the stock photos. A gloss finish isn't an intrinsically bad thing (the Soul of Chogokin SPEC figures had a nice, shiny finish and they looked great) but some of the older Revoltechs look like they've been dipped in wax.

That's the main problem (The waxy, slimy finish). Being a big fan of miniature painting, something a lot of painters try to steer clear of with smaller, detailed pieces is a slimy finish as it really knocks detail out of the model.

In the Revo's case, this worked in their favour as the older ones had some really BAD sculpts (Not saying they're bad models, I've got a load of them and still have fun posing them). Unit-01 has not had a good Revo head yet. The RD's have a slight shine to them, but have less to hide behind the glossy sheen.

The 13 above looks like a huge improvement in sculpt and is complimented by the very lightly shined finish.

TL;DR Gloss does a great job of hiding the odd imperfection. It allows the figures to remain cheaper, too. The Soul of Chogokin line is special in that it can be taken apart, meaning some parts are matte and the armour is glossy (Although I'd say it's more satin). Gives it a strange but more interesting effect. The RAH Unit-01 is almost completely matte, but seems a little satin.
Last edited by Psychodrake on Mon May 06, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Mon May 06, 2013 2:12 pm

The revoltech line is kinda inconsistent quality-wise. The early evas (and even mark.06...) look absolutely awful, and some other figures from the line, i.e. the hokuto no ken ones, are absolutely incredible and have no equivalent.

Maybe it depends on the guy who sculpts them, I don't know.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon May 06, 2013 2:12 pm

View Original PostPsychodrake wrote:That's the main problem (The waxy, slimy finish). Being a big fan of miniature painting, something a lot of painters try to steer clear of with smaller, detailed pieces is a slimy finish as it really knocks detail out of the model.

In the Revo's case, this worked in their favour as the older ones had some really BAD sculpts. Unit-01 has not had a good Revo head yet. The RD's have a slight shine to them, but have less to hide behind the glossy sheen.

The 13 above looks like a huge improvement in sculpt and is complimented by the very lightly shined finish.

TL;DR Gloss does a great job of hiding the odd imperfection. It allows the figures to remain cheaper, too.

Amen to that. I am a modeler myself, and am currently (very slowly) building a Tyranid army. I give all my models a gloss varnish coating, for 3 reasons:

1: I want them to look slimy and waxy, like enormous insects, or like the Xenomorphs from Alien.
2: It protects the paint from hard knocks.
3: My highlighting can be a tad sloppy, and the gloss helps make up for the occassionally sub-par painting (There's so many of the little buggers to paint it would take far too long to paint each one impeccably, so a I aim for a "tabletop" standard with the varnish making them look a lot better).

Also, is this the original Unit 01 Revoltech? 'Cause this looks pretty good.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Psychodrake
Embryo

Postby Psychodrake » Mon May 06, 2013 2:22 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:The revoltech line is kinda inconsistent quality-wise. The early evas (and even mark.06...) look absolutely awful, and some other figures from the line, i.e. the hokuto no ken ones, are absolutely incredible and have no equivalent.

Maybe it depends on the guy who sculpts them, I don't know.

I've noticed it too, also compare the new Unit-02 with some of the sculpts from just 2 years ago and there's a huge difference in quality apparent even from marketing pictures. Is there any indication that it is a different sculptor?

I've had a ARX-8 Laevatein from Full Metal Panic for a few years, it's a beautiful sculpt and one of the best Revo's I've owned, it's completely matte finish and the parts are all intricate as can be. Compared to some of my Eva's, it's practically impossible to tell it's from the same toy manufacturer.

It's a strange decision from the start in that the Eva's show very little evidence of gloss in the show/movies compared to something like Arm Slaves.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Mon May 06, 2013 11:29 pm

I'm not sure this is the right place to put this, but there's a garage kit of the Wunder. They don't give any dimentions for it, so I can't tell how large it is.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Tue May 07, 2013 3:09 am

You're the third person talking about it.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 am

You know, that's when I look at a the model that I realize how much it don't looks like a ship : seriously show this photography to anyone who didn't saw 3.0, and he will probably reply that this is a 1:1 scale reproduction of a cyborg bird, surely from a movie where it's used to spy... and then try to tell them that it's actually a giant flying battleship! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Theron
Embryo

Postby Theron » Tue May 07, 2013 11:07 am

Next Neo-RAH is the Unit 8b! Image
WHERE IS MY UNIT 13 BANDAI

Psychodrake
Embryo

Postby Psychodrake » Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 am

I did not see that coming at all, but I like it.

Literally just received my RAH Unit-01 Awakening version. Was lucky to grab one on ebay, a bunch appeared on 3.33's release day.

Photo of the Awakening-01 in my cabinet

Last edited by Psychodrake on Tue May 07, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue May 07, 2013 11:28 am

I'm not too sure about the Beta design. The sleeves make her look like she's wearing a puffy winter jacket (actually, an Evangelion-versus-Angel snowball fight would be awesome) and her stomach armour looks...odd. I think I preferred the V-shaped armour segments.

Still a nice figure though.

(please bear in mind I have only seen a shitty camrip of 3.0, so I couldn't really tell what Unit 08b looked like)
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Strings
Embryo

Postby Strings » Tue May 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Unit 8b is looking pretty awesome. Definitely picking that one up. Now all the collection needs is unit 00 and mark 06. Then my shelves would look MAJESTIC. However, if Medicom opted for mark 09 instead of unit 00, I'd be crushed.

...but then I'd probably get over it because that scythe is mighty sexy. :facepalm:

unit450
Adam

RAH Neo Eva Unit-02 delay to end of June...

Postby unit450 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:27 pm

So unfortunately the RAH Neo Eva Unit-02 has been pushed back to Late June for release.

In the mean time the next figure in the RAH Neo line has been previewed and announced, check it out here. Now just waiting to see if Medicom copies what they did with Awakened Unit-01, and reveal RAH Neo Eva Unit-00 or my RAH Neo Eva Unit-03 as WonFes Summer exclusives the month before the event...
Last edited by unit450 on Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rei used Smile.
Shinji, Asuk-You know what? EVERYTHING in existence fainted. Even the Fire Hydrant...
Rei defeated Seele!?

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby TruthfulLie » Tue May 07, 2013 2:51 pm

View Original PostTheron wrote:Next Neo-RAH is the Unit 8b! Image

I must say, it's an odd choice to pick 8b instead of 2b or 13.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue May 07, 2013 3:36 pm

View Original PostTruthfulLie wrote:I must say, it's an odd choice to pick 8b instead of 2b or 13.

It's the easy choice.

2beta is old body with a new arm+half head, so mostly rehash.
2gamma is same body as this but multiple sets of the right arm.

Putting this out first lets you test the new body without having the imbalance of different arms and asymmetrical head affecting your judgement.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Tue May 07, 2013 4:25 pm

I wanted to buy RAH unit 01 and 02 but it's out of stock everywhere and the prices are insane :(

I didn't know they released an awakened unit 01.

If some of you guys have good plans to acquire them, please share.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue May 07, 2013 5:03 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:BTW, for those who already know what happens in 3.0, a couple of questions (please answer as spoiler-free as possible)

-Does Mark 6 do something?
-Do they even mention Evas 07, 10, 11 or 12?

- Kinda
- No
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”