Flash-backwards for 4.0?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:05 pm

We've had a bit of fun with Kaji ideas last night in the chat.

One idea was: as Asuka/Shinji/Rei walk through the desolate world they're jumped by a bearded, long-haired, poncho-wearing hobo-Kaji. Cue infodump as they ride donkeys to where they need to get to.

On the other hand he could indeed be dead, so actual flashback happens.

Ha and Q both started off with magnificent action sequences.
Takao mentions that Kaji had interesting things to say about Misato.
Mark.9 was Wunder's "original master", so Wille must have jacked it from NERV at some point.

Put those three together and you could start Final with a flashback of Wille raiding NERV to steal Wunder, with Kaji likely playing a central role.

Would be a pretty kickass way to start a movie and explain some things.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:We've had a bit of fun with Kaji ideas last night in the chat.

One idea was: as Asuka/Shinji/Rei walk through the desolate world they're jumped by a bearded, long-haired, poncho-wearing hobo-Kaji. Cue infodump as they ride donkeys to where they need to get to.

Or they might just continue walking, or sit around a campfire and eat 3I-radiated core-watermelons during the infodump. Personally I think Kaji will return, if only as a passing mention/cameo or in a flashback.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:08 pm

View Original PostCharsi wrote:The only thing I can think up (on the spot fanwankery) to go from 2.22 post credits to 3.33 is that Eva-06 gets up to no good, and they have to stop it. The only tool they have to immobilize it is the spear currently immobilizing Eva-01. So they yank the spear from Eva-01 to stop Eva-06 right at Lilith's doorstep, and Eva-01 goes straight back into 3I mode.

The problem is. what can they use to remove the Spear? Eva-02 is out of commission, all that remains of Eva-00 are its lower legs and it would take a while to bring over another Eva if others existed.

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Eva-02 still has a working arm and hand (Mari uses it to hold Shinji aloft and show him the ruined GeoFront in 2.22).

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:41 pm

For me showing the events that happened between 2.0 and 3.0 in FINAL will make no sense and i will be dissapointed.The only way of giving the answers in FINAL is through flashbacks or with a character explaining to Shinji what happened and uhmm no.....
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Even if there's nothing so blunt as a retelling of the timeskip, 4.0 will have to have some more information pertaining to it. It will be a great disappointment if it does not.

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:06 pm

People didnt saw that anno wanted us to be Shinji ?
The guy was sleeping for-ever in the eva

For some reason he was pushed away in space , probably by Seele.

Asuka and Wille got it back and awaken Shinji and us by the same way (we start the film now)
seele attacks , combat , Shinji badasses the mark 4 with eye beam god lasers.

After the movie continues and ends with another failure of Shinji

I'm pretty sure they found a way to flashback the events
4.0 could start even without saying 14 years ago like in a blockbuster USA movie , but just start after kaworu empale Shinji and then continue , fill the blank and then go back to Rei/asuka-angel and Shinji
Or continue at the end of 3.33 and Shinji making instrumentality asked by gendo and then we gonna see the events of the 14 years and the movie will end here (and everyone in tears will scream , starting to make threats and bashing evangelion with Rage)

If it's well done, it could be a masterpiece.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun May 05, 2013 7:50 pm

After seeing 3.33 subbed, I guess I can see an argument for flashbacks. It would be nice to see how Lilith ended up the way she did, it would be nice to see what happened with the 11th Angel (if they eve fought it, which I believe they did), it would be nice to see the moon/geofront/whatever placing itself where it is now...

...but do you honestly think Anno's gonna waste a flashback on things like that? I mean, he might, and he'd do it in such a way where it wouldn't be wasteful, bit I'm don't know if he would do it at all. It's been his style to have his flashbacks very low-key and only reveal stuff in character interactions and stuff. (Episode 21 style.)

Granted, I'm basing Anno's styles on the low-budget/limited scheduling situations that were the original NGE. Having only about a week to animate stuff, full fledged Second Impact was never going to be shown to the viewers. But we'll get to see Naoko Akagi kill herself. We'll get to see Fuyutsuki talk about stuff with Yui. Those are very sufficient solutions to exposition if you can't just show the darned thing, but don't want dialogue-driven exposition to be boring either. You just hide all the information in character-based dialogue scenes and make everything more engaging.

But now Anno has a big budget and all the time in the world he wants. (No, really. ALL of the time. Why do you think he's always pushing back the release dates of his movies these days?) So arguably, he can show N3I in a flashback and not feel like he's doing anything out-of-character with the series he's making.

But still, I don't think that will be the case for FINAL. I don't know why, but something tells me that we'll have Misato or Ritsuko say something to fill us in, or maybe the flashback with be just like Misato's 2I flashback in 2.22 and be all visually poetic and stuff.

I don't know. I guess we'll have to ... wait and see. (Jeez, even I'm a little tired of saying that now.)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”