Gendo VS Seele question

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
chocky
Embryo

Gendo VS Seele question

•      
  •      

Postby chocky » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:22 am

What is the main point of contention between Seele and Gendo/Nerv? I ask this as it seems Gendo wants instrumentality so he can be reunited with Yui and Seele want instrumentality also.

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious! Any help would be cool, thanks :)

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Hold on...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:36 pm

I've been disecting and rewatching Evangelion for nearly six years now, and somehow, that either never crossed my mind or slipped it.
I rewatched the series last week, and couldn't really come up with a good answer, who cares who started Thrid Impact so long as it did get started?
Why DID Seele give Gendo such a hard time?

Was it because they thought he was going about it the wrong way, or had something totally different in mind?

Why was theri so much tension? THey wanted the same thing Right?
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Crazyman42
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Crazyman42 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:12 pm

They never really explain it. What I think is that Gendou was taking his time until the right moment arrived and Seele wanted it quicker. Until they thought he was betraying them. That's my theory.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:12 pm

Gendo and SEELE had two different scenarios for Third Impact. SEELE wanted makind to be united as one, in order to further our evolution. Gendo simply wished to be reunited with Yui, who, since she had been absorbed by Eva-01, was not technically dead. I'm not positive on what Gendo had planned, little reference to it was made in the series, but it's clearly different form whatever SEELE planned on. All I know for sure is that he planned on initiating Third Impact through Rei, where he would have control over what happened.

I may have read something on what his version of Third Impact called for, but I can't seem to find it.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

belial11737
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby belial11737 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:50 pm

i read once somewhere that Keel wanted to start the Third impact because he is in fact Cain and therefore he cannot die....the only way he can obtain peace is to return humanity to the state of beggining.....
Gendou on the other hand wants to be re-united with Yui, but in the process he wants to become a god with Yui at he's side....
it is my guess that each scenario would have a different outcome for humanity and that is the reason why keel/seele wants to control third impact

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:47 pm

belial11737 wrote:i read once somewhere that Keel wanted to start the Third impact because he is in fact Cain and therefore he cannot die....the only way he can obtain peace is to return humanity to the state of beggining.....

You're thinking of the wandering Jew, which was not really canon bible material, in my opinion.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

aranami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby aranami » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:53 pm

belial11737 wrote:i read once somewhere that Keel wanted to start the Third impact because he is in fact Cain and therefore he cannot die....the only way he can obtain peace is to return humanity to the state of beggining.....

I herd that too.
My guess is that if Gendo had had his way that it would have been him and Yui lying on the beach at the end.
"Immortality! Take it! It's yours!"

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ShoKenju » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:32 am

Phaze wrote:

You're thinking of the wandering Jew, which was not really canon bible material, in my opinion.

Lilith isnt either....
a man within the trap of one sided love is a man torn beyond his imagination.
-----------
Reason = Virtue = Happiness

chocky
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby chocky » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:14 am

Thanks guys, these are all cool explanations, I guess Gendo's need to control the scenario his own way/with him in control would rub with Seele. These ideas all give more credibility in my mind now to Seeles invasion of Nerv. Hadn't heard the Cain theory before, very interesting. Cheers :)

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:51 pm

Keel is not Cain or the wandering jew, he's just a normal dude. If I remember correctly we see him in a flashback and he looks younger.

SenorKaffee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SenorKaffee » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:37 pm

For me Seele was the council of powerful old guys trying to avoid death somehow. A popular element, you have a similar council in the Otherland books for instance.

I'm not really sure why Seele needs Gendo, but Gendo needs Seele to provide the resources.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:31 pm

Seele was nothing like that group of rich guys in Otherland. They wanted their lives to end (along with the rest of humanities) because they believed that living only brings about pain and sorrow.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

kosure
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:41 pm

I don't think that Seele wanted death. No offense to you Dave. But it really bothers me when people say this. In my opinion, Seele wanted just what they said they wanted, to evolve to a new form. This may be a little out there but bear with me. Its possible that when everyone turned back into LCL they werent dead. Their physical forms had just become one. Its a really common theme in all sorts of eastern religions. That everyone is just composed of one universal soul, and bodies, and the limitation sof the human mind are what makes it seem like we are seperate entities.

I think Seele wanted to take out the barriers, and become one with everyone... or at least thats part of it.
i think cosplay is a lot like communism, it seems like a good idea, but it never turns out the way you want.
Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide

aranami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby aranami » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:38 pm

Seele wanted everybody to become one in order to eliminate the fear in everyone's heart.
"Immortality! Take it! It's yours!"

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Hold on...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:21 am

Dave's acutally right here.

Call what you want, the evolution of humanity, the assimulation of all minds into one, the bringing together of humanity to eliminate pain, it still means the end (death) of humanity as we know it.

If all our minds where one, even if we evolved to a higher plain, we would not really be considered humans any more.

Seele decided Humanity was at a evoltionary dead end.

They where disastified with what humanity had become and set about tranforming it. Yes the wanted a evolution, but as we saw in EoE, it was a kind of death. The death of that which makes us human. Our seperate minds, and souls. The A.T. Field.

I guess your both right.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

ChronoX
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby ChronoX » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:56 pm

I herd that too.
My guess is that if Gendo had had his way that it would have been him and Yui lying on the beach at the end.

that wouldn't nessalarily true.
Would Yui like the fact that all of humanity is gone and her and gendo are all that is left of the world?
i know that id be pissed off at gendo if him and me were all that was left in the world.
also very nasty thoughts come to mind if they were the only ones left to repopulate the earth.
"We are born, meant to die. If I am to die, then let it be with a sword in my hand, my enemies at my feet, and my blood on my body. Come forward, come forward, come forward! And let us all meet in bloody combat."-The Rose Lord, William Rose.

kosure
Adam

Re: Hold on...

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:46 am

Olin of Xephon wrote:Call what you want, the evolution of humanity, the assimulation of all minds into one, the bringing together of humanity to eliminate pain, it still means the end (death) of humanity as we know it.

Thats true enough. But I think, (and I might be wrong here) lots of people think that everyone exploding into LCL equals dead. The abolition of conciousness. No more soul, no more thinking, no more anything. Which (i think) we can agree, is not what Seele wanted for Instrumentality.
i think cosplay is a lot like communism, it seems like a good idea, but it never turns out the way you want.
Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”