Eva 2.22 (and 3.33?) BD/DVD Audio issues?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:09 am

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:Well 1.01 is a DVD and 1.11 is a Blu-ray so 1.11 is of course louder than 1.01 because it has different audio mastering. Similar to 2.22 and 3.33, actually. Your problem lies in your audio set up.

See you arnt understanding what I'm saying at all 1.01 has the significantly louder music. All of the .11 .22 .33 etc have had the audio changes from the originals 1.0 1.01 2.0 and 3.0 have much better music then then others. The only one you can compare on the same system is 1.01 and 1.11 the former has much louder music. 1.11 2.22 3.33 have all had noticeably lower music then the original cuts.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 am

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:See you arnt understanding what I'm saying at all 1.01 has the significantly louder music. All of the .11 .22 .33 etc have had the audio changes from the originals 1.0 1.01 2.0 and 3.0 have much better music then then others. The only one you can compare on the same system is 1.01 and 1.11 the former has much louder music. 1.11 2.22 3.33 have all had noticeably lower music then the original cuts.

You're not really reading what I'm saying. Of course 1.01 and 1.11 will have differing audio volumes if you compare both on the same format, because 1.11 was produced for Blu-ray and with more audio channels in mind so it'll sound like your normal 192kbps DVD audio track.

The reason why it sounds lower is because that is how audio distributes itself if you do not have the proper channels set up. You will lose some audio and you will lose some volume. There is no way you saw 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 in the proper environment to even determine whether it actually does have lower volume, unless you live in Japan. You cannot watch the camrip and say "yeah that's better and louder than the home release" because you don't actually know that. You are having an auditorium echo. That building is designed to distribute sound to rows and rows of people. Of course the theatre version will "sound" louder, it's a completely different environment.

And as I've said, if you're getting audio cuts and sound drowned out, that is your set up or the rip. I own 1.11 and 2.22 on Blu-ray, listening to them on the proper 6.1 TrueHD set up, it sounds perfectly fine. No cuts, no drops, it's fine.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:10 pm

My 3.33 BD sounds fine, the music isn't too loud, nor is any of the dialog, except for one scene when there is internal dialog. And it was stereo audio. I've never understood how a home release could be compared to one in a theatre (or even worse, one recorded from a camera in a theatre), I've seen them all in the theatre and there was never music that was too loud or too quiet in either case. But of course it's going to sound different.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm watching the 1080p rip and the music is clearly not loud enough. It's eclipsed by the voices and ambient sounds.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 pm

I watched the 720p on my TV (no surround) and the music sounded perfectly well balanced to me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Was it "well balanced" or as loud as in the screener?

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:09 pm

If it were a setup issue, you'd think the problem would be replicated across all kinds of movies. For me, that's not the case -- it's ONLY happens during Rebuild films, including the official Funi discs. So I'm inclined to think it's a mixing choice rather than a hardware deficiency.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:11 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:Was it "well balanced" or as loud as in the screener?

I personally wasn't making a direct comparison, because all along I've known what the screener is and that it has artifacts of its creation. People have already explained why you shouldn't expect it to be as loud as the screener. The BD music is as loud as it needs to be.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The BD music is as loud as it needs to be.

Not in surround. People listening in stereo don't seem to have a problem, but I think they'd hear it in surround. Not a huge deal or anything, but it does get annoying. The fade in/fade outs more than the volume, really.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:15 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The BD music is as loud as it needs to be.

That's very subjective... When the music is clearly eclipsed by voices and ambient sounds there's a problem somewhere. It's sometimes nearly inaudible.

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:If it were a setup issue, you'd think the problem would be replicated across all kinds of movies. For me, that's not the case -- it's ONLY happens during Rebuild films, including the official Funi discs. So I'm inclined to think it's a mixing choice rather than a hardware deficiency.

Same here. It's probably an "artistic" choice, but I can't say I like it. I remember the same happened with 2.22. They slightly changed the timing and toned down the music volume.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Yeah I'm not crazy about it either, but it's always been the way they've done things so I was expecting it. Was hoping for a course correction, though.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:23 pm

The ode of joy in particular has become nearly inaudible, that's a disaster. I really enjoyed that moment in the screener.
Last edited by Jinroh on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:26 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:The ode of joy in particular has because nearly inaudible, that's a disaster. I really enjoyed that moment in the screener.

Yeah, a shame, that. It's "Hallelujah" on the Renewal/Platinum releases all over again. I'm not sure why they resist blasting the score during such moments. It seems like an easy choice to make!

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Maybe technical deficiencies, who knows.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm glad more people are admitting this happens. It kills the home release for me completely.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:05 pm

I tried fixing Fate in the 2.22 audio by stuffing in the OST track, but I couldn't get it to sound right.
Maybe I'll try again with Ode to Joy, because that song needs to be heard. By me.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:07 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:I tried fixing Fate in the 2.22 audio by stuffing in the OST track, but I couldn't get it to sound right.
Maybe I'll try again with Ode to Joy, because that song needs to be heard. By me.

I agree I was also thinking about trying to get ode to joy back into 3.33 since apparently it got all but cut out for the home release. This problem has never happened with any other move going from theater to home release. For me. They changed it on purpose I just have no idea why.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:10 pm

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:I agree I was also thinking about trying to get ode to joy back into 3.33 since apparently it got all but cut out for the home release. This problem has never happened with any other move going from theater to home release. For me. They changed it on purpose I just have no idea why.

Some bizarre directorial choice that puts sound effects above music in terms of impact. At least God's Message is still audible from what I watched.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:11 pm

I agree with Jinroh on the BD Rip, the music is almost non-existent. It could be just the file though.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:12 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:Some bizarre directorial choice that puts sound effects above music in terms of impact. At least God's Message is still audible from what I watched.

But ode to joy blasting was such a huge part of the impact (no pun intended) of the final scenes.

Hmmm so where's Hatsumi and Stan now that I have all this backup?
Last edited by Kozar927 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”