A feedback post about mods

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:02 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Compared to mods I've dealt with on other forums, the ones here are paragons of civility. Frustrating as things are, they could always be much worse.

I was not planning on commenting at all here, but as I read through the pages and stumbled across this post, I just had to add my opinion on the matter.

As a member of dozens other forums on the web, I too must say that the mods here are amazing compared to other forums. Yes they are strict about policies and lock threads a bit too many times for my liking, but ultimately they are fair and respectful to all users. Compared to other sites like ANN for example, the mods justify their actions and remain civil in terms of language---which I hope more people can appreciate. In fact this forum somehow manages to remain civil and polite, which is rare by comparison to other sites

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Well, there was that one time a mod told an user to suck his balls with complete impunity on the staff's part, not to mention any other aggresive (in jest or otherwise) remarks thrown at parts of the community and particular users, or just any other insensitive action. Of course it's not like staff are the only ones bad at that.

I agree that the mods here tend to be much better than that of any other comunity i've ever met (almost certainly the most balanced) but why do people act as if that were something to appreciate (at least to the degree i feel the users who point that out do) is simply beyond me.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:22 am

View Original PostDream wrote:I agree that the mods here tend to be much better than that of any other comunity i've ever met (almost certainly the most balanced) but why do people act as if that were something to appreciate (at least to the degree I feel the users who point that out do) is simply beyond me.

It helps us cope with it when they put on their mod hats and actually do things here. For example, when I got banned last week, I knew it would have been for a good reason and didn't flip out. (Well, I did. But that's another story.) Anyways, it never hurts to appreciate what you have every now and again.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am

View Original PostDream wrote:I agree that the mods here tend to be much better than that of any other comunity i've ever met (almost certainly the most balanced) but why do people act as if that were something to appreciate (at least to the degree i feel the users who point that out do) is simply beyond me.

I sometimes point it out because it just puts me at ease knowing that at least 1 forum is 'above average'. Sure no1 is perfect, I once got banned for mentioning Baccano on an unrelated thread lol, didn't care much because I only visit this place once in three days. But compared to other forums, this place is decent. I think you just never had a bad experience to help you appreciate it here. For example, I had this on going argument for like 1 month on another forum with the mod---that guy was under the impression that he was on some high ass pedestal and completely broke all forum regulations---So being the considerate person that I am, I took on the burden of helping that guy down from it against his will

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:22 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:I think you just never had a bad experience to help you appreciate it here.

Hmm, go to a forum called "Hikiculture" and ask about Dream, see what the community and staff tell you about me. Aside from that, i used to be a low post-count member in the PWOT forums, where staff can be really harsh and have been known to ban people on the spot or with pretty much no warnings. I also used to be part of a forum where noobs were treated like shit, mods didn't do anything about it and took part on that occcasionally, left the place when someone called me insane among other things. And i also lurk on /ic/ if that counts. I would agree that this is not exactly extensive experience, but i would say i've seen my share of dickhead staff.

And yes, no one is perfect, however i don't think that should be used as a constant justification for unreasonable slack on a duty that was willfully chosen.

Regarding your one month example, i found myself in a similar situation (on the Hiki forum i mentioned, by the way) but with an admin. Got perma-banned, no appeals or other chances given, the guy is convinced i'm "evil" (his words) and doesn't want to hear anything about me nor did he let me explain myself. Somewhat ironically i'm actually ok with having been banned from there and i can understand why i got banned since some of the things i said weren't exactly friendly, but i find the perma extent as well as the utter belief on me being irrevocably and absolutely evil a bit of an overkill, if only for reasons more moral than personal.

Also, i don't think Jimbo or AWL would describe the mods in here as fair or good, going by what i know of the atrocious way their incidents were handled. Granted it seems that they have gotten kinda better at this nowadays but it's still very cringe-worthy having to see some of those things from the old days.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”