Necromantic behavior

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Necromantic behavior

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:17 pm

I full well understand the rules and consequences of old thread bumping. However, is it generally considered necromancy to comment on a thread that hasn't been commented on in several years, ie. a 2004 thread? I'm unsure if this qualifies as "raising the dead", so to speak.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:21 pm

That sounds like a bit of a stretch. Many of the people who commented in that thread may not even be active anymore. Which thread are we talking about, exactly?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Didn't have a particular thread in mind when I was writing this. I was just diving around a large amount of old threads and found some topics that looked intriguing.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Generally, I found a good rule of thumb to be within the four year range to be a limit. So by my rules, try not to post in anything beyond 2009-2008.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Sounds like a good rule of thumb to follow to me. Thank you.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:35 pm

There are many threads discussing similar things, if you find a thread that hasn't been posted on since 2004 it is very likely that whatever was being discussed there can be found in newer threads, if you're willing to search, no need to go digging for fossils.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:38 pm

As long as you aren't bumping several threads with something unsubstantial it's not illegal, per se. If you have something worth adding to the discussion it's not necessarily a problem. However, it might be prudent to look for something more recent where the same things are being discussed or bring up your thoughts in a more recent thread first.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:02 am

As stated in the rules

D. Necromancy:

Bumping threads as described in A. is fine. However, gratuitous necromancy — bumping old threads for no constructive reason — is inappropriate.

where it is referring back to

A. Considerations:

Before creating a new thread, there are some considerations that should be made.

It is always better to post in a preexisting thread than to create a new one.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Actually, why do people care about necromancy so much? It's just bumping an old thread, i don't understand why some forums apparently consider it a sin of sorts.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Because it's really annoying when someone sets out to bump every old thread in sight just to be a dick?
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:46 pm

Good point and i agree, but i don't see how that is strictly connected to necromancy. I suppose mis-used necromancy is where such a dick behavior can more easily arise but...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:26 pm

The problem comes when a bunch of threads get revived with just a "me too" post; and you hope someone has found something new to say, and it turns out that they haven't. If the same posts are in active threads, they soon get buried, which isn't so bad.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:28 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Good point and i agree, but i don't see how that is strictly connected to necromancy. I suppose mis-used necromancy is where such a dick behavior can more easily arise but...

If it's recent threads, at least when someone bumps a half of a page worth of threads, people who are currently active had recently posted in them.

When someone bumps a half of a page of threads where hardly anyone who's currently active had posted in, let alone were even a member when the last post was made in the thread, and the only content in all the bump-posts are stuff like "I agree with this guy", "I like anime too", "Shinji is my favorite", then that's not only not condusive to further conversation, but it gets annoying because the first page of threads that are actually active got pushed off the page.

That's why this bumping is noted under the necromancy section. If someone bumps all the current threads, that everyone was posting in anyways, with short one sentence "Me too" posts, then it's a blip in the radar that just gets overlooked in all of the current conversations. It's different when all the threads are 5 years old.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:46 pm

Ah, i see. That certainly makes a difference, thank you.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Well I was on the safe side always by not posting in threads where the previous comment was 1year+ old because I thought that would be considered "necroposting". So it IS okay to post if the few comments b4 me are up to a year old right?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:38 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:Well I was on the safe side always by not posting in threads where the previous comment was 1year+ old because I thought that would be considered "necroposting". So it IS okay to post if the few comments b4 me are up to a year old right?

Sure it's fine, like it says a few posts above yours:

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The problem comes when a bunch of threads get revived with just a "me too" post; and you hope someone has found something new to say, and it turns out that they haven't. If the same posts are in active threads, they soon get buried, which isn't so bad.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”