Influences, references, homages

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:11 am

@SHINOBI-03: I recognise the similarities, but the composition of those Digimon frames are terrible.
Voluntary Illusion.

SHINOBI-03
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby SHINOBI-03 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:22 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:@SHINOBI-03: I recognise the similarities, but the composition of those Digimon frames are terrible.

How so?! :headscratch:
On the List:
- 2 RD Eva 01 (On hold)
- RD Eva 02 (On hold)
- RD Eva 02 The Beast (On hold)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:34 pm

Just noticed that the Sleeping Beauty reference in Evangelion 1.0 is missing (according to a wiki search, anyway), but I haven't worked on the homage/etc. pages very much at all, so I have no idea where it would go.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:32 am

Seems like Evangelion borrows a couple of small things from the original SDF Macross, aside from the Human:Zentradi :: Lilin:Angel connection.

1. The elevator that Captain Gloval uses in the first episode looks a lot like the one Gendo uses.

2. The character Hayase, played by Mika Doi, is called "grandma" (baasan) repeatedly by Hikaru in the third episode. Mika Doi is the VA for Naoko Akagi, and we all know what happened to Naoko when Rei 1 called her "baasan". It helps that Rei's original name was Yui Ichijo.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun May 08, 2011 10:32 pm

Is it just me, or does the battroid mode of VF-21 in Macross Plus look a lot like a chunky version of Eva-01? Some of the space station's targeting screens look pretty familiar too!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon May 09, 2011 3:09 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Is it just me, or does the battroid mode of VF-21 in Macross Plus look a lot like a chunky version of Eva-01?

I think it's intended to look a lot like the Queadluun-Rau from the original SDF series. As others have pointed out, the VF-4 might make more sense with its "shoulder pylons".

(Is Imageshack still blocked for you, Ursus?)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon May 09, 2011 3:17 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Just noticed that the Sleeping Beauty reference in Evangelion 1.0 is missing (according to a wiki search, anyway), but I haven't worked on the homage/etc. pages very much at all, so I have no idea where it would go.

Here: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Tributes_to_Other_Fiction_in_Neon_Genesis_Evangelion
under "Other Media"

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon May 09, 2011 4:34 am

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:I think it's intended to look a lot like the Queadluun-Rau from the original SDF series. As others have pointed out, the VF-4 might make more sense with its "shoulder pylons".

VF-4's battroid form wouldn't debut before the game Macross Digital Mission VF-X which came out in 1997. So as a source of inspiration for Eva designs I think it can be safely forgotten.

Ultraman's influence is definetly there, but by far the most obvious and strongest influence upon Evas are God Warriors from Nausicaä. Manga in particular. Hell, with many things about Evas and their "godhood" Anno just copypasted the final Nausicaä volume (7) - by his own admission :hohum:

Other design influences (besides the obvious oni) I think would be Devilman.

As far as Anno goes, it's much harder to say anything about Yamashita's influences... :shrug:

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon May 09, 2011 3:33 pm

Isn't there a topic like this in "Everything Else Evangelion - Related Works and People"?

Edit: Anyways, here's a copy/pasta from the topic:

Copy/pasta  SPOILER: Show

Yeah..

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon May 09, 2011 3:45 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Isn't there a topic like this in "Everything Else Evangelion - Related Works and People"?

This thread is supposed to be about the wiki pages and their content.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon May 09, 2011 9:15 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Is Imageshack still blocked for you, Ursus?

Not any longer. I see the resemblance, but if Xard is right about when the VF-4's battroid form debuted, it can't have been an inspiration for Eva-01.

I posted in this thread because I don't have a good copy of Macross with me for the images- particularly those of Global's mini-elevator or the space station's screens on Macross Plus.

kubricklynch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kubricklynch » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:08 pm

I created an account just to ask about influences on Evangelion and I find this awesome thread already waiting for me! How do I find the thread Stryker is referring to, I'd love to learn more.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:11 pm

View Original Postkubricklynch wrote:I created an account just to ask about influences on Evangelion and I find this awesome thread already waiting for me! How do I find the thread Stryker is referring to, I'd love to learn more.

Next to the FAQ and Rules in the nav bar there is a link called "Threads", which lists all the threads in a subforum. Going to the "Related Works" subforum, you can see a thread titled Evangelion References and Homages.

Most of the things in that thread are listed in the wiki as a set of tribute pages (the index is at the bottom): http://wiki.evageeks.org/Tributes_to_Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_in_other_Anime_and_Manga

kubricklynch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kubricklynch » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Thanks Ornette!

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”