Favorite Quotes

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:19 pm

"Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power."
-Dao de Jing

"Being that person with the scent ability makes me responsible for the uncivil."
- Masta Killa

"If you take no risks, you will suffer no defeats. But if you take no risks, you win no victories."
- Richard Nixon

"Not taking risks in art is like not having sex and then expecting there to be children."
- Francis Ford Coppola
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Re-reading the liner notes of the Gish remaster reminded me of these neat little song-by-song quotes, all attributed to Billy Corgan:

I Am One
A statement of spiritual unity, based on the gnosis of the holy trinity. Lyrically stripped from an article I'd read on Bishop Desmond Tutu. Our first single, re-born here faster, Jack-over-the-candlestick nimble. Yellow Strat on the left, black Les Paul on the right. Full pan. An unmistakable drum rattle from the venerable, now closed Smart Studios in Madison, Wisconsin. Just an amble down the road from the ominous state capitol. Laws are made, laws to be broken. I am one, you are one. Infinite repeat.

Siva
A misspell on Shiva the inhaler, the loving destroyer. A riff born whilst working away at the used record store on Broadway, watching humanity walk by dying. A prototyped blueprint of many that would follow. A breakthrough; finding the perfect light, capturing our essence that matches street power against eternal grace. Laced with LSD visions of making love by the glow of the streetlight blasting into my room on the second floor, illuminating the night. Christmas lights strung along where the pictures should be.

Rhinoceros
Idealism hidden amongst the ruins of a sentimental smear. Pandas, balloons, ice cream kids and cones; a knowing girl bats her eyelashes at you across the fairground. You know her, but you know she knows. But what is it that she knows about you? Secrets are held up for instant review, then blasted across the stratosphere with happy hope. No one is there to catch your dreams where they fall. Your dreams are all mustard lies, you see. You must open your eyes now to what you don't want to see.

Bury Me
Bury me in love, Bury me in blood. These lines have no connection to a meaning. Impressions strung along the wires, criss-crossing chants and chasms. Nothing has any meaning. I am buried beneath non-meaning. We are lost. Songs like these point the way; dead ends that are worth coming into blindly with fatal force. I often forget songs like this exist, but they are testament to a faith I once had, now forgotten.

Crush
My future wife sleeps across the room, it's 3 a.m. I am far too shy to write a song like this in front of anyone, even her. Her apartment sits above a restored, historic theatre. The riff is stolen, but I can never say where it came from. I am shamed by that, but I make it mine nonetheless. I want to be an original, without a prior copy. I cannot escape that I am made up of tiny, stitched together pieces. Curtis Mayfield's poetry inspires the romantic lyric. The whole world shimmers for all the night. Light dances off the face of my beloved. I am both in love and crushed by love. The bells are there to remind me.

Suffer
Existential love is for lovers, a raga dedicated to being trapped in who you are. A girl I love once and still hands me a penny whistle, and says 'do you know how to play?' I am the piper, calling in the morning hues with my simple melody. An apocalypse comes with my tune, riders now face the dawn. They have come to behead those who stand along the road, so we run and hide in the dense jungles instead. They will come for us anyway. Instead of fighting we will dance around a fire. We cease to be. Pan plays the flute far better than I.

Snail
7 dreams. 7 and 7 is? 7. A girl I've named 'Flower.' She puts the sun on her tongue, tastes the stars like snowflakes. The height of who we would have been if we didn't always need to have more, and more, and then some more. The last of the innocents here. The drums are cut in one take, in a flurry of savant madness. His nose is broken, busted open in chivalry of cause. A siren calls to a snail who moves far too slow. But no one can catch him, so he moves fast enough I suppose. An electric guitar is held in front of the amp on fire until the glue shakes loose from the wood, and the tubes light up into phosphorescent blue. Hearts explode into diamonds, spades, clubs, and hollow rings.

Tristessa
Lifted from author Jack Kerouac's book of the same name, written, I think, about a Spanish prostitute. I see myself not as a whore but as a mirrored reflection in the feminine creative mind. I will await the artist within to come out to play. I call out her name longingly, coyly. Maybe I know that the artist in me is indeed meant to be a whore? Our second single this was, re-recorded to try to clarify an earlier version. In the trade-off something vital gets lost. I won't even bother to try to make it better, a shrug of ambivalence. I have already moved on from her.

Window Paine
Coming down off the long trip now. It's almost over people. There is still one more vista to reach, one last dive into the deep. Pistons start to sputter, the wings start to sag, nose points straight down. The window to my heart is opened up with lysergic acid and strychnine. Alchemy pries open now what a crowbar cannot. We are in the ethers now. With no oxygen, the ends fray and even the pleasantries are over. It's a rude conclusion to draw. An awakening. The trip doesn't end, it just stops.

Daydream
An oath in blue neon. One last simple thought to share. The other voice sings the song because the voice is prettier, more cold and far away. It's a beautiful dream but we know it ain't gonna happen; who are we fooling here? Still, it's nice to hum along. A husband and wife descend from the heavens to play the last little coda. They do not wear white. Our first encounter with the other way.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Maru
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Maru » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:39 pm

The Most Interesting Man in the World wrote:[On life] "It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary."

[On careers] "Find out what it is in life you don't do well, and then don't do that thing."

[On pick-up lines] "There's a time and place for them. The time is never. You can figure out the place on your own."

[On the two party system] "The after-party is the one you want to attend."

[On packages] "Fellows, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pocket, you had better use 'em to call a tailor."

And here are a few lines of my own of what I think the Most Interesting Man in the World would say:

"Live vicariously through yourself."

"Rather than chasing big money, live a life full of experiences. A fortune can be won or lost in a minute, but experiences you keep for life."

I realize that it seems odd to be getting life advice from a series of commercials selling beer, but I really think there's a lot of wisdom in what the Most Interesting Man in the World has to say. And then there are the things he says that are just funny. But things like "It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary," or "Find out what it is in life you don't do well, and then don't do that thing"... that is gold.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:05 pm

Benjamin Franklin wrote:"Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it."

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:19 pm

"Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding"

~Albert Einstein~

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Let every man in mankind's frailty consider his last day, and let none presume on his good fortune until he find life, at his death, a memory without pain - Sophocles, Oedipus Rex

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:46 pm

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it." -Don't know

"If you're in a bad situation, don't worry. It'll change. If you're in a good situation, don't worry. It'll change." -Also not sure

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:02 pm

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." -- Nasreddin
"The law does not protect people. People protect the law." -- Akane Tsunemori
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:41 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." -- Nasreddin

Huh, I actually thought one of my coworkers had come up with that one. Good to know! :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:54 am

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Oh, you should always waste time when you don't have any. - The Doctor

Seriously, about them boobs. Very nice! - Osaka

Aiko is the greatest person ever and she should be queen of Earth. - Someone who is totally not me. :bigeyes:
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:13 am

This is a translation into German that I made a few years ago of a quote by Thunderf00t.

"Wir stehen auf die Schultern der Giganten, somit dürfen wir ferner als sie sehen."
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:03 am

[redacted]
Last edited by Nuclear Lunchbox on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:37 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:This is a translation into German that I made a few years ago of a quote by Thunderf00t.
I think Sir Isaac Newton beat him to that one.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:52 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I think Sir Isaac Newton beat him to that one.

NO! DR. MASON IS ETERNAL.

Yes. You are right. I just prefer his wording of it.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:05 pm

"Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded with real idiots who mistakenly believe they're in good company." - Rene Descrates

I'm looking at you /pol/.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 pm

"If you want to live well, you have to change and try new things." -Kaworu Nagisa

"RHUOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" -Goku (While powering up to Super Saiyan 3)

"My wrath...is finally...Gone..." -Asura (From Asura's Wrath)

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Mai waifu is Asuka~ -Moot
Leave Shinji alone

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:46 pm

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Mai waifu is Asuka~ -Moot

a) sauce

b) underageb& gtfo

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:52 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:b) underageb& gtfo

I didn't realize /a/ was age restricted.
Leave Shinji alone

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:14 pm

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:I didn't realize /a/ was age restricted.

Just because board SFW doesn't mean 4chan or its subcultural atmosphere accepts underageb& presence there.

Of course you can tell /a/ has idiotic teenagers all over the place nevertheless.

Still, I'm more interested in sauce anyway. I didn't know moot is asukafag

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”