Shiki-Jitsu

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Shiki-Jitsu

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:45 am

I've managed to get most of my film viewing class excited about this movie, and several are asking me to screen it. All they saw was the 12th day. I'm wondering 3 things though.
1. Is there anyone in the Boston area who would be interested in seeing this movie with a bunch of art students?
2. How many people have seen this movie?
3. Would anyone be interested if I were to upload it to Megaupload?
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shiki-Jitsu

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:40 am

cat42 wrote:2. How many people have seen this movie?

I've never seen it, although most descriptions of it harkens 8 1/2 or "Adaptation" to me.

3. Would anyone be interested if I were to upload it to Megaupload?

/me raises hand

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:25 am

The file is 700 megs, so it's gonna take a few hours to upload. I found a diff file hosting service than most use (I think) it's called files-upload.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Shiki-Jitsu

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:36 pm

cat42 wrote:3. Would anyone be interested if I were to upload it to Megaupload?

Given how hard this film can be to obtain in English, I'm inclined to allow this, but let me find my torrent and seed seed seed.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:03 pm

I thought it would be ok since the film isn't liscenced for America, if this is untrue, please let me know.
EDIT+++

By the way, the subtitles on this are the Linda Hoaglund ones (I'm pretty sure done for a New York film festival) . She seems to have neglected to translate a song sung in this movie. For those who have seen the film, it's the song that takes place during the movie. Does anyone have a translation?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:28 pm

I liked SHIKI-JITSU. Its not the greatest thing Anno has done, I've seen all his work except "Cutey Honey" and no matter how people think about the new Eva Movies I'm just glad he's returning to anime. In anime he is a master on par with some of the greatest filmmakers period.
In live action he's certainly above average but not too great.
But you definitly have to see SHIKI-JITSU. It's not as flashy as Love & Pop but it's just as experimental and I think its the point in Anno's life where he finally found some happiness in the end.

But I can understand why it would never be licensed in the US. It is out there!

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:59 pm

I think the movie would definiately do well in art houses. There would be a market for it here, you just have to get people past the unfornate stigma that comes with it being mad by a "cartoon director". :?

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:31 am

i don't think that is why Shiki Jitsu never got licensed-- rather, it's just not that great of a film. Interesting for Eva and Anno fans, but really, I can't see why anyone not interested in either him or his anime would sit through all of Shiki Jitsu.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:55 am

Have you ever met art students? Or anyone that watches art films? Shiki-Jitsu would be worth watching to many people based on cinematography alone. It is a beautiful movie to look at. It's also wonderful in the way he blends SD, HD, and 35mm. It's interesting in the complexities of the story. Practically the entire movie is a perfect example of Eisenstein's concepts of conflict that he talks about in "The Cinematographic Principle and the Ideogram". Not to mention the movie is obviously relevant to the intrests of Shunji Iwai fans.

EDIT==========
I'm posting links. If this ends up being a bad thing I'll remove them.

Shiki-Jitsu (2000)
Directed by Hideaki Anno
Writing credits Hideaki Anno (screenplay), Ayako Fujitani (novel)
Ritual (International: English title)
Ritual Day (Literal Translation)
Ceremonial Day (Alternate Literal Translation)
approx 2hrs, 8min

http://cat42.files-upload.com/86082/SHIKI_JITSU.avi.html
700 megs, 608x256, Xvid, 111kbps

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=05M43H30
350 megs, 448x192, Xvid, 111kbps

The encoding is not the best, but it is watchable.

Res Novae
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Res Novae » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Neat, I'll have to check it out when I have the time. Thanks for uploading it.

cat42 wrote:...

Have you ever met art students? Or anyone that watches art films? Shiki-Jitsu would be worth watching to many people based on cinematography alone.

Exactly.
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:11 am

cat42 wrote:Have you ever met art students? Or anyone that watches art films? Shiki-Jitsu would be worth watching to many people based on cinematography alone. It is a beautiful movie to look at.

Heh I think you are taking my opinion of the film as plain ignorance. I am huge on art films, rank Shunji Iwai's All About Lily Chou-Chou in my top five favorite films of all time and have seen almost all of Iwai's feature and short films.

But even *I*-- a hardcore Iwai, Anno, and Gainax fan-- was bored to tears by Shiki Jitsu. It's not a piece of crap, it's just not particularly good at anything but visuals. My comments were in disagreement with Cat42's comment above-- unlike him (her?), I don't think a company could license it here and turn a profit. Even Lily Chou-Chou was released with a subpar transfer by Criterion's lower-priced sister label and caused barely a ripple once released.

That said, I saw Shiki Jitsu years ago and am willing to give it a second chance
Last edited by Otaprince on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:00 am

Otaprince wrote:...But even *I*-- a hardcore Iwai, Anno, and Gainax fan-- was bored to tears by Shiki Jitsu. It's not a piece of crap, it's just not particularly good at anything but visuals...

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion...

even it if is a wrong one
:D
(I kid, I kid)

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:45 pm

Don't know if Anyone cares, but I currently own a copy of the program for Shiki-Jitsu, which includes (as far as I know) the entirety of Touhimu, which is the short story by Ayako Fujitani that the movie is based on.
The book is almost entirely in Japanese.

Held the western way, the book is 72 pages of color stills from the movie, gray scale production photos, text from the movie, and cast bios and such.
Held the Japanese way, it is Touhimu, which is printed in such a way that it is 32 pages long.

Would anyone be interested if I were to scan this?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:43 pm

Shiki-Jitsu is absolutely wonderful movie. Scene composition, cinematography overall, pacing (well, most of the time. Also, few people match Anno when it comes to using of pillow shots.), innovative animated sequences and wonderful acting... It's definetly one of the best films I've seen and definetly one of the most poetic ones. Not the best (that title belongs to Blade Runner or Space Odyssey 2001), but in Top 20 definetly, maybe Top 10.

Granted, I only checked it because it was Anno's film and it had Iwai in it, but the fact I watched movie three times without any kind subs tells something.

Unfortunately I lost the film when my computer died year ago. :(

Could you guys please seed this as torrent? EVERY single one I've downloaded has been dead bugger.

Is there R2 DVD with subtitles btw? If there is I'll definetly buy one. But first I'd actually love to have film again.

So... pretty please? :grin:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 pm

This post a few posts back: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=61177#61177

Has a megaupload link that still seems to work. That was the one I downloaded and it had hardsubs in it.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:47 am

Ornette wrote:This post a few posts back: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=61177#61177

Has a megaupload link that still seems to work. That was the one I downloaded and it had hardsubs in it.

Upper version is dead but lower works. Well, that's better than nothing :)

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:51 pm

Xard wrote:Is there R2 DVD with subtitles btw? If there is I'll definetly buy one.

The region 2 release does, for the movie at least.

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:15 pm

I want the highest resolution one you have

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:54 pm

The lower resolution one is the only one still up.
To get the highest possible resolution, you have 2 more viable options.
1.) Buy one of the bootleg Shunji Iwai collections off of ebay, which contain Shiki-Jitsu (around $60, and lacks almost all the special features, but somes with a bunch of Iwai movies)
or
2.) Buy the Region 2 DVD for somewhere around $40. It has English subtitles for the movie.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:03 am

For what it's worth: http://www.evageeks.org/2009/02/evangelion-101-shiki-jitsu-love-and-pop/

Anybody here in Tokyo 2 weeks from now can check out this movie (and Love and Pop and Rebuild 1.01).

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”