Parts of Eva You Found Unintentionally Funny

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Güf Trüp
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Güf Trüp » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:04 pm

From 3.0...
SPOILER: Show
Kaworu's freakishly long and pointy chin during his dramatic death speech really through off the mood.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:14 pm

View Original PostBryan wrote:Did he really? Source?

Proposal wrote:Tentative Title: Shinseiki Evangelion

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION
Classification: Science Fiction Action Serialized TV Animation
Format: Planned 30 minutes an episode with a total of 26 episodes over six months
Target Audience: Grade school students, middle school students, and general household
Project & Original Work: Gainax
Character Design: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto
Mechanical & Concept Design: Ikuto Yamashita
Scenario & Director: Hideaki Anno
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:18 pm

View Original PostGüf Trüp wrote:From 3.0...
Kaworu's freakishly long and pointy chin during his dramatic death speech really through off the mood.

Another 3.0 spoiler.
OR the moment when Kaworu says "Stop it Shinji-kun." (That scene had weird, unusual animation and art style. Although, 3.0 had many weird animation/art scenes.....)

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:57 pm

View Original PostGüf Trüp wrote:From 3.0...

I told you guys I wasn't crazy.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Rj123541 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:57 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:I told you guys I wasn't crazy.
Don't worry, I believed you.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:19 pm

[quote="View Original PostTehDonutKing":3ewb0nnm][/quote:3ewb0nnm]
I see. I can't help but think that's kind of an advertising thing. I have a feeling his thought is something like anyone can watch it, but it will be 2 deep 4 u.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:57 pm

In the dub of Ep 01:

RITSUKO: "We called it the 0-9 system, after oni, a Japanese devil."

That's all well and good, Ritsky, but...you're kinda living in Tokyo-3, n'est-ce pas?
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Episode 15 : Shinji complementing Rei about when she was squeezing the cloth when she was cleaning the classroom :
"When we were cleaning today, you were squeezing the cloth. The way you squeezed it was like a mother.[...] I think you'll make a great mother Ayanami."

The only thing I could think of was : "Shinji, that was the shittiest compliment to a woman I've ever heard!" :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:25 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:The only thing I could think of was : "Shinji, that was the shittiest compliment to a woman I've ever heard!" :lol:

It gets kinda dark when you consider the fact that, technically, she's partially his mother. Creepy factor: x100

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:31 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It gets kinda dark when you consider the fact that, technically, she's partially his mother. Creepy factor: x100
For me that's probably the only reason his compliment actually worked, any other woman would have gone mad at him(Asuka would just disembowel him!).

By the way, Rei knows she's a clone, but did she actually knows she's a clone of Yui?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:32 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:By the way, Rei knows she's a clone, but did she actually knows she's a clone of Yui?

I doubt it. I'm not sure if she even knows who Yui is. Where did you get the knowledge that she knows that she's a clone? Is that from the wiki?

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:06 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I doubt it. I'm not sure if she even knows who Yui is. Where did you get the knowledge that she knows that she's a clone? Is that from the wiki?

It's something you assume from various little things in the series as well as some comments from Rei herself ("If i die, i can be replaced" and such) rather than any specific element or instance. At the very least, she knows she's artificial.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:22 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I doubt it. I'm not sure if she even knows who Yui is. Where did you get the knowledge that she knows that she's a clone? Is that from the wiki?

In EoE, Gendou does mention Yui to Rei. It somewhat implies that Rei knows who Yui is, whether or not she knows that she's a clone of Yui is a different matter.

Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 am

View Original PostDream wrote:It's something you assume from various little things in the series as well as some comments from Rei herself ("If i die, i can be replaced" and such) rather than any specific element or instance. At the very least, she knows she's artificial.

I've been working with the more generic explanation of how unimportant she believe herself to be. She believes so much that her sole purpose is to pilot the Eva (see episode 6), so that if there are other pilots that can do the job, she becomes somewhat obsolete to herself. I'm not sure how much i want to believe that Rei I or II was self-aware of their clone-ness.

@Catamari Fair enough.

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:29 pm

To get us back on topic, am I the only one who finds Eva-01's forward flip when it goes Berserk kinda funny?

I don't know what it is, but just it being so clunky and useless before to suddenly leap in this big flip comes across as awkwardly amusing to me.

And while not perhaps funny on it's own, my friend and I made a game of counting the times Rei "Died". Basically every near death experience was accompanied by a chorus of "Rei's Dead."
Avatar: MAKE WAY FOR THE HOMO SUPERIOR!

>>>>Rebuild of Evangelion RP "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."~Meister Eckhart<<<<

Nuke-kun: I know not of this "civil conversation" bullshit you speak of.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:53 am

OK, I admit I'm a little ashamed of that one but... the Mind Rape scene!

The staging is very serious and dramatic : Asuka is desperate to prove herself after all these times she has been KO'd, it was made clear it's her last chance before being fired as a pilot... the rain is pouring as a bad omen, we have a POV shot of the sniper rifle targeting system unable to lock on Arael, with the little stressful music to make the tension rise even more... and then suddently Arael's infamous Mind Rap'o Beam is fired and...

HA~LELUJAH! HA~LELUJAH! HALELUJAH! HALELUJAH!

SO. FUCKING. RANDOM!!! And then it made me think of the Holy Hand Grenade from the Worms games, and I was expecting EVA-02 to blow up to the stratosphere before crashing head first in a mountain with the legs upright like a nail, and I couldn't resist and burst out laughing!

It's supposed to be one of the most horrific scenes of NGE, and I was laughing at a mental comparison with a videogame with armed worms killing each others for fun!
Last edited by ElMariachi on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:53 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:OK, I admit I'm a little ashamed of that one but... the Mind Rape scene!

The staging is very serious and dramatic : Asuka is desperate to prove herself after all these times she has been KO'd, it was made clear it's her last chance before being fired as a pilot... the rain is pouring as a bad omen, we have a POV shot of the sniper rifle targeting system unable to lock on Arael, with the little stressful music to make the tension rise even more... and then suddently Arael's infamous Mind Rap'o Beam is fired and...

HA~LELUJAH! HA~LELUJAH! HALELUJAH! HALELUJAH!

SO. FUCKING. RANDOM!!! And then it made me think of the Holy Hand Grenade from the Worms games, and I was expecting EVA-02 to blow up to the stratosphere before crashng head first in a mountain with the legs upright like a nail, and I couldn't resist and burst out laughing!

It's supposed to be one of the most horrifics scenes of NGE, and I was laughing at a mental comparison with a videogame with armed worms killing each others for fun!

Err...that sounds like a very idiosyncratic frame of reference, to be honest. (I've never played the Worms games, though I am familiar with them on a broad level).

At any rate, I do agree that certain pieces get used almost to the point of overuse (Handel's "Messiah," Beethoven's 9th Symphony). But I think the "Hallelujah" stuff in the Asuka mindrape scene was intended to be disarming, creepy, and provocative by way of stylistic dissonance (the upbeat "Hallelujahs!" juxtaposed with the invasion and destruction of Asuka's mind). I found it all appropriately weird and creepy, as I suspect it was intended.

If anything, the dissonance between music and scene reminds me most of "A Clockwork Orange," which uses classical music during rape scenes, and famously uses the upbeat "Singin' in the Rain" during a particularly brutal assault and rape. The effect isn't funny, per se; it's more disturbing.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:35 am

View Original Postuser-02 wrote:Err...that sounds like a very idiosyncratic frame of reference, to be honest. (I've never played the Worms games, though I am familiar with them on a broad level).

First, a video of the Worms game Holy Hand Grenade in action so you can understand my point :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dKnnUcNrwU

View Original Postuser-02 wrote:At any rate, I do agree that certain pieces get used almost to the point of overuse (Handel's "Messiah," Beethoven's 9th Symphony). But I think the "Hallelujah" stuff in the Asuka mindrape scene was intended to be disarming, creepy, and provocative by way of stylistic dissonance (the upbeat "Hallelujahs!" juxtaposed with the invasion and destruction of Asuka's mind). I found it all appropriately weird and creepy, as I suspect it was intended.

Don't get me wrong : it WAS an horrible scene, the mindfucking passages inside Asuka's mind and her begging for Arael to stop were genuinely disturbing, it was the passages when we see EVA-02 from the exterior with the "Hallelujah" chorus at full volume that threw me off!
I suppose it's a French cultural specificity : we aren't very religious so we tend to make easily fun of religions, hence my reaction where a more religious person would be genuinely freaked out by the dissonance between the upbeat music and the horrors Asuka is subjected to.

View Original Postuser-02 wrote:If anything, the dissonance between music and scene reminds me most of "A Clockwork Orange," which uses classical music during rape scenes, and famously uses the upbeat "Singin' in the Rain" during a particularly brutal assault and rape. The effect isn't funny, per se; it's more disturbing.

I saw that movie, the infamous "Singin' in the Rain" scene was REALLY disturbing, Kubrick really outdid himself in making that scene(and the whole movie) disturbing and tought-provoking.

I'm siiiiiiinging in the rain
Just siiiiiinging in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again...
:sweat:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Part of the reason lyrical/musical dissonance is so creepy is because it's inherently funny. There's a very special kind of creepy that's extremely difficult to achieve, where the audience is creeped out by what's happening but also by the way they're reacting to it, whether it's amusement at the absurdity of upbeat music and sadistic violence or feelings of attraction towards someone being victimized. Kubrick was amazing at capturing this special feeling of the uncanny.

Damn, I'd like to see a Kubrick adaptation of Evangelion.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Glad to see i'm not the only one who found that scene hilarious, and now with the Worms association the scene will likely be 100x times more hilarious :rofl:

While it's likely the case that GAINAX intended the scene to be disarming by virtue of the dissonance, i found it just hilarious, personally.

Part of the reason lyrical/musical dissonance is so creepy is because it's inherently funny. There's a very special kind of creepy that's extremely difficult to achieve, where the audience is creeped out by what's happening but also by the way they're reacting to it, whether it's amusement at the absurdity of upbeat music and sadistic violence or feelings of attraction towards someone being victimized. Kubrick was amazing at capturing this special feeling of the uncanny.

This, however, puts the scene in a new light now that i think about it. And now i too would like to see a Kubrick adaptation of Evangelion. Particularly the Komm Susser Todd scene.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”