Where to buy Platinum DVDs, and are they worth it?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:52 pm

Barely? BARELY?? They're REALLY fucking annoying. :evil:

I'm just glad that when I saw it at Katsucon (pre-release master) it didn't have those sound effects in it. I was actually able to enjoy it.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:25 pm

I don't understand how a few minor sound effects can ruin your enjoyment of a movie. I agree that she shouldn't have added any, but seriously people, get over it. It's not a big deal.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:01 pm

Oh, it only ruins it if you watch it in English. That's why I never bother with dubs (and why I hate watching anime on TV).

It would be nice if they fixed that line Misato has in EoE about Adam being born from Lilith. I went out of my mind trying to figure that shit out, only to be told that it was mistranslated! That's the kind of thing you go back and change. It's a lot more useful than making a guy's splattering brains sound like a massive ass-sneeze.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:20 pm

It didn't sound like a sneeze to me. You must have a serious problem if your sneezes sound like that. :lol:

I've watched the movie in Japanese and English and really I fail to see how one small dialogue addition and a few minor sound effects detract from the movie at all. I'll bet you 10 bucks that if you got someone who hadn't seen the movie before and had them watch the Japanese version and then the English version, they wouldn't even notice the blood splattering noise.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:20 pm

It's not about improvement or declination. It's just overstepping your bounds. Your job is to spill out lines translated from the motion picture. If you want to add things, do it in your commentary.

And I said massive ass-sneeze, not massive-ass sneeze. I meant fart. It sounds like a big, nasty, wet fart.

_get some help

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:33 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:It's not about improvement or declination. It's just overstepping your bounds. Your job is to spill out lines translated from the motion picture. If you want to add things, do it in your commentary.

Once again, I agree with you. I just think you're overreacting to something that really isn't that big of a deal.

And it does kinda sound like a fart. :lol:

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

Give me a break...

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:37 pm

Evangelion is actually one of the very few (the others being FLCL Abenobashi, Ghost in the Shell, and Cowboy Bebop) anime I prefer to watch in english.
The voices are just so dead on, and in my humble opinion, more memorable.

The offending "splatter" sound effect they added anoys me a little, but only because I recognize it from my Macintosh painting progam.
I'm serious, you click on the little paint Icon and you hear that very sound!

Seriously though, is that enough to ruin the entire experience?
Of course not! They did a great job.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:23 pm

Um.. you liked the Ghost in the Shell dub? I thought that those voice actors were HORRIBLE. Luckily I decided to watch it subbed so I still like the movie.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:30 pm

Let's not turn this into a dub vs. sub thread. It's already way off topic.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:41 pm

You can buy them at just about any video store now (BestBuy=$25.00)
They are worth it. Except if you own the perfect collection, then only get them if you have the extra cash.

Best of all they are SHINY

(Hunter21 sticks hand in racoon trap to grab shiny box---> Hand gets trapped---> Gets told only way to get out of trap is to let go of shiny box---> Two years skeleton is found still clinging to shiny box :lol: )
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:58 pm

GODDAMN YOU, IMAGE ANIME, WHEN THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO GET YOUR DAMN SHIPMENT? For dog's sake, it's been a month, and it's too late to cancel. I go to Best Buy, and there it is... sitting on the shelf... mocking me... saying, "You should have used Eva Monkey's link."

Oh, I'm sick of it already.

And yeah, the Ghost in the Shell dubs sucked ass. It was like hearing a group of people read their grocery lists. I've never wanted to turn something off so fast in my life. Lucky is was a DVD.

_get some help

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

We are getting off topic aren't we?

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:26 pm

I guess I should have left a little disclaimer.
Unlike the other anime I mentioned the Ghost in the Shell dub does really suck. But somehow, with almost everybody in the movie being cyborgs, robots, conmputer programs, and politicans, the dead pan voices just seemed to fit.

Maybe I watched Blade Runner a few to many times.

At any rate, yeah, I'd use Eva monkey's link unless you want to wait half a year or so and pick them up used or "like new" for half (or a third) of the SRP.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: We are getting off topic aren't we?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:52 pm

Olin of Xephon wrote:At any rate, yeah, I'd use Eva monkey's link unless you want to wait half a year or so and pick them up used or "like new" for half (or a third) of the SRP.

Damn straight. :D

Lord Tyreal
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lord Tyreal » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:00 pm

not to discredit eva monkey but why pay 40 for the box and volume when you can go to best buy for 25 and dont have to wait for shipping oh by the way the box is fucking awsome!!!!!
"Begun the clone wars have"-yoda

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”