Gurren-Lagann: GAINAX'S Epic! (There Be Massive Spoilers)

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:04 pm

I can't imagine them announcing anything big after the staff bleeding. Probably just the long awaited TTGL BD release.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Probably -- but on the other hand, Yamaga is on record as having on-going plans for the franchise, so maybe they're actually kicking reason to the kerb here.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xavierla
Adam

Gurren Lagann? Best Mecha?

•      
  •      

Postby Xavierla » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:35 pm

I really do not see how gurren lagann is the best mecha ever made. It copies off of not only gunbuster/diebuster but also flcl. Also when you really look at gurren lagann all it is is a bunch of highly exagerated super robots. Believe me I like gurren lagann but I think it was a just a bit overrated.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Gurren Lagann was made by the same company as the shows you say it steals from. -.-
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Xavierla
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xavierla » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:29 pm

No I am not saying it steals it from gunbuster, I'm saying it copies gunbuster a lot.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:50 am

And Evangelion is gender-bender Nadia with giant robots... Does it really matter? Pretty much every anime has been inspired by something else, it's the execution which matters the most.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Xavierla
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xavierla » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:57 pm

true.

busterbeam
Adam

Re: Gurren Lagann? Best Mecha?

•      
  •      

Postby busterbeam » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:57 am

View Original PostXavierla wrote:I really do not see how gurren lagann is the best mecha ever made. It copies off of not only gunbuster/diebuster but also flcl. Also when you really look at gurren lagann all it is is a bunch of highly exagerated super robots. Believe me I like gurren lagann but I think it was a just a bit overrated.

Diebuster and Gunbuster were hardly huge influences; in fact, I'm not sure how anyone could come to the conclusion that they're 'ripoffs'. The story & themes had more in common with Getter Robo and even then I would not call it a 'ripoff'.
aaaaaa

sum_exsanguis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sum_exsanguis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:07 pm

however a dinosaur looking Unit 01 does also appear in the show. GAINAX is all about throwing other stuff in their shows. They have the "gainax girls" appear in the hot water spring episode of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World (if i remember correctly)
No weapon against us shall prosper

Xavierla
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xavierla » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:12 am

View Original Postbusterbeam wrote:Diebuster and Gunbuster were hardly huge influences; in fact, I'm not sure how anyone could come to the conclusion that they're 'ripoffs'. The story & themes had more in common with Getter Robo and even then I would not call it a 'ripoff'.

Getter Robo and Gunbuster combined are often considered as the equivalent to Gurren Lagann.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:48 am

Just finshed this show and it was really really really realllllllllllllllly...... okay.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri May 03, 2013 9:02 pm

"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

busterbeam
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby busterbeam » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:31 am

View Original PostXavierla wrote:Getter Robo and Gunbuster combined are often considered as the equivalent to Gurren Lagann.

Gurren Lagann had a bajillion influences, and the story and characters was very, VERY different from Gunbuster's. I really don't know what you're talking about.

Simon & Noriko are only similar on the most basic surface level, and Coach & Kamina are completely different despite beyond 'mentor' figures.

I don't see how it copied FLCL. It used a similar form of storytelling but the actual content was vastly different.
aaaaaa

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:35 pm

View Original Postbusterbeam wrote:Gurren Lagann had a bajillion influences, and the story and characters was very, VERY different from Gunbuster's. I really don't know what you're talking about.

Simon & Noriko are only similar on the most basic surface level, and Coach & Kamina are completely different despite beyond 'mentor' figures.

I don't see how it copied FLCL. It used a similar form of storytelling but the actual content was vastly different.

The biggest diff between Gurren Lagann and Gunbuster is that Gunbuster was actually good. :kaos_oni:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

busterbeam
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby busterbeam » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:17 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:The biggest diff between Gurren Lagann and Gunbuster is that Gunbuster was actually good. :kaos_oni:

Gurren Lagann wipes the floor with Gunbuster in terms of pure storytelling.

I understand enjoying Gunbuster more for its atmosphere and style, but when you get down to a more in-depth analysis that takes into account things like coherent theme delivery, Gurren Lagann is just a far more thematically cohesive work that's practically on a completely different level in terms of having an idea and sticking with it. Gurren Lagann was about 'past and present coming together to create a path towards tomorrow' from the very beginning - meanwhile, Gunbuster literally has the characters scream at you that the theme is "effort and guts", when that theme makes absolutely zero sense given the contents of the story.

Don't get me wrong, Gunbuster is a very, very well-directed work - it's definitely one of the most impressive anime works out there based purely on that fact. While watching it for the first time, it's easy to not even notice its poor storytelling and just enjoy the experience, because the 'experience' part is just so well done. But its storytelling is extremely uneven, its character development is unnatural and amateurish (people who say Simon magically, illogically went from "coward" to "manly badass" and then praise Gunbuster's writing must be living in opposite-land) and it tries to be both a parody and a serious work (Toshio Okada has literally stated that this is what Gunbuster is) in a way that does not mesh well at all.

When Kamina mashes the Gurren and the Lagann together, it feels like a set-up for a joke; it's clearly lampshading the ridiculousness of the whole 'fusing robots' idea and intentionally highlighting the fact that Kamina is, when you get down to it, a pretty stupid guy. But then the fusion actually works, and it stops being a joke and becomes a clever story development that (along with many other scenes, like his natural impulse to give a name to every mech they claim) showcases Kamina's childish and simplistic, yet at the same time undeniable and pure understanding of the spiral power concept. It's a scene that melds self-awareness and serious storytelling together.

Meanwhile, Gunbuster stars off as a parody world that's not supposed to make much sense in general because 'it's a bunch of silly tropes anyway!' and then goes full-blown serious mode in the second half.
aaaaaa

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:49 am

I know it might not mean anything to some people
as Gurren Lagann is so widely available now.

Anyway GL is returning to TV - Airing on Toonami (Adult Swim) this time

starting next week the 16th @ 2am

Just a heads up if anyone feels like watching.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:58 pm

I found an interesting post about the making of TTGL

http://www.animevice.com/gurren-lagann/ ... 97-204017/

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

PanzerEVA
Lilith

Gurren Lagann

•      
  •      

Postby PanzerEVA » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:06 pm

Uhhhh... so I made this thread for the simple reason that I couldn't find one already talking about TTGL... and I really want to know the name of the music piece that starts at 1:32 of practically every episode

But otherwise, if people wanna discuss, go for it! I have no idea why it took me until this year to actually find out about TTGL and to watch it. It's bleeping marvelous!
Last edited by PanzerEVA on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
My favourite quotes:
'Silence is a Virtue' - Benjamin Franklin
'War. War never changes' - Fallout 3
'CONKERS!' - Me
'Don't always believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it' - Abraham Lincoln

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:56 am

Found it. It's apparently called, "No way! Only 1m20 to do it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jEA_fMgsZg
[Redacted]

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:11 pm

I post this here since I can't respond to the Kill la Kill thread.

SPOILER: Show

Thanks Sushio.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”